Android Zidoo X9S (X-series) 4K HDR / 3D / HD Audio / ZDMC (Kodi fork): Review & Use
(2016-11-05, 00:08)hdmkv Wrote: Nice review (a 9/10 grade) by Mark over @ AVForums.com.

You know, I am surprised at how so many people have so few problems with video playback on this machine. Especially when it seems that the vocal minority have continuous video stutter and halting issues beyond the initial start of the video on simple 1080p 24Hz 3D and 2D full lossless Blu-ray movie playback. In my case I have tried streaming lossless Blu-ray from my MacPro via SMB (using an Mac SMB substitute SMBup that is not compatible with MacOs Sierra unfortunately), NFS (directly through the built in Media Player or via mounted shares with pointers in the mnt/nfs folder), and a DLNA server. SMB streams from my MacPro had the least stutter (the built in media player better than using the ZidooPlayer with Kodi), followed by worsening performance with NFS, then the worse performance with a DLNA server. The Zidoo X9S has particular problems playing back movies with Dolby Atmos soundtracks (a lot more playback stutter) since that requires the player to access two soundtracks at the same time! In fact some have already commented that removing extraneous soundtracks from the MKV file will improve performance. 3D iso's play back with less frequent stutters, but 3D MKV's hang up every time! My Kodi setup is 1080p at 60 Hz, which is what I set the Zidoo Player screen output.

So what am I missing here? Not to mention it, but I have much less problems with video playback on a Q10 Pro (except for 3D ISO issue with 23.976Hz syncing) or an Intel NUC (except for MVC 3D chapter skipping problem with Dolby Atmos containing material). I have only tested the performance of the Zidoo player, but cannot continuously use the player due to major video playback issues. And I certainly cannot recommend any one buy this box with the current firmware release because ALL lossless Blu-ray movie playback is flawed with continuous video stuttering.

I am using the latest Zidoo firmware (1.2.6). I have not tried any 4K material or set my screen resolution to 4K. I hope that a future firmware release will fix playback issues, but so far no release has done so. So what am I doing wrong, or rather how has others been able to stream lossless Blu-ray movies over ethernet on a local network without any video stutter constantly occurring?
NUC: NUC5i5RYH (Intel Core i5-5250U, Intel HD Graphics 6000)
RAM: 16 GB Crucial DDR3-1600
SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 SSD
Display: LG 65EF9500 OLED
AVR: Pioneer Elite SC-99

Messages In This Thread
RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - by ppoulos - 2016-11-05, 04:07
HDR aspect ratio - by ragico - 2017-02-27, 23:03
F/W; whom writes it? - by casey-jones - 2018-12-29, 15:39
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zidoo X9S (X-series) 4K HDR / 3D / HD Audio / ZDMC (Kodi fork): Review & Use8