Android Zidoo X9S (X-series) 4K HDR / 3D / HD Audio / ZDMC (Kodi fork): Review & Use
(2016-11-21, 00:38)wesk05 Wrote:
(2016-11-20, 23:50)cobric Wrote: Thanks for quick response, unfortunately I should mention that I'm using Optical output, due to lack of 4k support of my 4 year old AV Denon Receiver (only HDMI 1.4b). So HDMI goes directly to TV (2.0 -> 2.0), and optical output to receiver but S/PDIF output setting in audio options has only RAW or PCM 2 channel to select not auto Sad
Is there some other setting so that AAC will work through optical output?
Thanks again
SPDIF is limited to stereo PCM. The only thing you can do is transcode AAC 5.1 to Dolby Digital 5.1.

Yes, after searching a little bit I see that "Surround audio across S/PDIF can only be achieved using AC3/DTS. Multichannel PCM is not possible over S/PDIF", also optical can't transfer TrueHD and DDP but for that Zidoo have force SD audio option which will transcode that audio tracks to DD which can be transferred via optical cable. Is it possible to do something similar for AAC to AC3 (format that can also be transferred through optical S/PDIF)? That way we can at least keep 5.1 surround.
It would be nice option because lots of us with older A/V receivers which doesn't support 4K over HDMI have problem with this, and unfortunately optical is only solution (thou inferior to HDMI in audio quality) other then buy new 4K capable A/V receiver (i also looked at HDMI switch but those work with lowest resolution of connected devices, so it'll still be limited to 1080p) Sad

Thank you for your help

Messages In This Thread
RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - by cobric - 2016-11-24, 12:49
HDR aspect ratio - by ragico - 2017-02-27, 23:03
F/W; whom writes it? - by casey-jones - 2018-12-29, 15:39
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zidoo X9S (X-series) 4K HDR / 3D / HD Audio / ZDMC (Kodi fork): Review & Use8