Android Zidoo X9S (X-series) 4K HDR / 3D / HD Audio / ZDMC (Kodi fork): Review & Use
(2018-01-27, 01:10)wesk05 Wrote:
(2018-01-27, 00:14)lionne Wrote: I have color space set to YCbCr 4:2:2. Should I have it set to YCbCr 4:4:4?

But I'm confused. Under HDMI range, it was set to auto by default. I changed it to limited (16-235) and the dark grey background got noticeably lighter. Setting it to full made it darker again, which exactly matches auto, so it seems auto is setting it to full. My TV is set to "low" under "black level". If I set black level in my TV to "high" the screen gets much lighter and washed out, for both "limited" and "full" on the X9s. My TV is always set to "low" and everything has always looked correct. So I'm not sure which shade of grey the Zidoo menu should be - limited it's lighter, and full it's darker. Is full darker because of that issue that was discussed here about the improper output when set to full?

It does the same thing if I set the player to RGB 4:4:4 though - limited is lighter and full is darker.

So which combination is right for SD/HD viewing, and would that change when I start using it for 4k/HDR stuff?
YCbCr 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 shouldn't make any difference. I know there are folks reporting banding with 4:2:2. There is nothing wrong with Zidoo's output per se. The banding has to do with how the display is processing the 4:2:2 signal. It could be that the display processor is treating the input signal as 8-bit instead of 12-bit.

HDMI range of the source and TV should match. If you use limited on Zidoo, your TV should be on low. If you use full on Zidoo, your TV should be on high. Again, if the TV is calibrated separately for limited and full range, you are unlikely to see a difference between the two. If your TV was calibrated to a limited range signal, then full will appear to be darker. It all depends on how you have calibrated your TV.

You wouldn't need to change the range setting for 4K/HDR content.     
 Thanks for the reply.

Well I did a basic TV set-up using the AVS test patterns but I haven't done a professional calibration. The TV has always been set to low, and when using the test patterns on my old Mede8er player, the patterns looked fine once adjusted. So I'm guessing the TV is "calibrated" for limited.

You mentioned, "If your TV was calibrated to a limited range signal, then full will appear to be darker.", and that's just what I noticed. So it sounds like YCbCr 4:2:2 / limited is right for me.

For some reason I thought when playing UHD/HDR content, I would need YCbCr or full, but that isn't the case then?

When viewing images/playing games/surfing on the Zidoo, would I also leave it on limited, or would full/4:4:4 be better for that purpose? I ask because when I game on my PC, my TV has a PC mode which sets the panel to 4:4:4 chroma. So when I game on my TV with my PC I set the TV to PC mode. Is it better to just always leave the Zidoo on limited for everything?

Messages In This Thread
HDR aspect ratio - by ragico - 2017-02-27, 23:03
RE: Zidoo X9S, X8 & X10 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - by lionne - 2018-01-27, 01:28
F/W; whom writes it? - by casey-jones - 2018-12-29, 15:39
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zidoo X9S (X-series) 4K HDR / 3D / HD Audio / ZDMC (Kodi fork): Review & Use8