Android Zidoo X9S (X-series) 4K HDR / 3D / HD Audio / ZDMC (Kodi fork): Review & Use
I have no idea what's wrong with this forum, but I can't successfully edit a post I made earlier, so I'll have to just create a new post here with some updated information:

Player "freaking out" when booting with Deep Color 12-bit through Certified Premium HDMI 2.0 cable - UPDATE

So after solving my black flashing issue with the new 18Gbps certified HDMI 2.0 cable I bought from Wal-Mart, I've discovered a newer problem. When booting, the player goes nuts when Deep Color 12bit is enabled. There are rows of diagonal flickering white dots across the boot screen, along with some random flashes to black. Once the home screen appears, it continues until it sets to the correct frame rate and resolution, then it settles down. Here's the details:

Switch frame rate and resolution
HDMI mode: AUTO / 3840x2160P 60Hz
Deep Color: 12bit / Auto
Color Space Mode: YCbCr 444 / YCbCr 420 /  YCbCr 422 / RGB 444 / Auto

This doesn't happen with 10-bit - only 12-bit and auto. This tells me Deep Color on AUTO is actually selecting 12bit for me. I tried each color space mode with each deep color mode. Only the modes I list above are affected. It doesn't happen when HDMI mode is set to 1080p or 720p.

I also tried my old cable again and it doesn't happen with the old 1.4 cable. So the new cable has solved the black flashing issue I mentioned previously, but introduced a new "bug" or issue for me by enabling full support of Deep Color in the cable.

Sometimes I can start the player up several times in a row (3-5 times sometimes) and it boots fine, then one time I get the flashing and flickering dots.

I found it also happens with Color Space Mode set to YCbCr 422. Previously I didn't think it happened in 422. So it does happen with all color modes when using 12-bit color.

So the question is why is this happening? What is happening at boot with Deep Color on 12bit that is causing this "corrupted" boot-up? Sometimes it boots okay, sometimes it doesn't.

The above videos show the boot issue I'm having, but it doesn't happen with every boot.

A member on the Zidoo forum mentioned that it could be that this combination of 4k/60Hz with deep color enabled is breaking HDMI 2.0 spec, so that could be the reason this is causing issues at boot. But then why only in 12bit, since 10bit should also be breaking HDMI spec? And why does the player allow outputting settings that break spec? It should read my EDIT from my TV and put out the maximum it can support, but I figured it would stay within spec. Is that not how it works?

Messages In This Thread
HDR aspect ratio - by ragico - 2017-02-27, 23:03
RE: Zidoo X9S, X8 & X10 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - by lionne - 2018-02-13, 06:48
F/W; whom writes it? - by casey-jones - 2018-12-29, 15:39
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zidoo X9S (X-series) 4K HDR / 3D / HD Audio / ZDMC (Kodi fork): Review & Use8