• 134(current)
Android Zidoo X9S (X-series) 4K HDR / 3D / HD Audio / ZDMC (Kodi fork): Review & Use
Until now very good behaviour with 1080p content and NOT so good with any 4K *.mkv files with frames drops and shutter.. Image Tongue
(2018-04-17, 19:19)leonkoum Wrote: New release :

https://github.com/zidootech/ZDMC/releases

​​​​​​
  1. Fix 23.976 framerate output  Big Grin
 Until now very good behaviour with 1080p content and NOT so good with any 4K *.mkv files with frames drops and shutter..
Hi,

I would like to bring few problems and concerns with X9S model.
1. Major problem it cannot play correctly video file as source, for instance when I set HDMI to AUTO, it plays 1080p@24 file at 2160p@60, however it does play it correctly when the video file is playing in HDR mode it picks up frame rates correctly.
2. Issue with ZDMC, when we will be able to use its native player, and not ZIDOO one, using ZDMC native player gives lots of advantages - updating library stats properly.
Which f/w version are you using? Zidoo’s native (external) player is the Realtek player. ZDMC’s internal playback is Kodi, but it isn’t really optimized for Realtek. For most video playback, you’ll want to enable external playback in ZDMC.

It’s possible Zidoo could evolve ZDMC so that the native player is embedded inside ZDMC, but we haven’t seen any indication they want to do this. But, library scanning works perfectly within ZDMC as it has nothing to do with the native player. Only playback is pushed to the native player when external playback is enabled in ZDMC.

With the native player, auto refresh, resolution and colorspace switching are all working well with the latest beta f/w. Your settings will probably need to be different, but I’ll post mine when I get home this evening.
resume via XBMC unfortunately is not one of those things that is remembered correctly when pushing to zidoo player from zdmc. Correct?
KODI1: Shield 2019 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo Z9X 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D/ and 4K HDR/ DV AVR1: YAM RXA3080 DISP1: LG OLED77G6P /3D/HDR/DV
KODI2: Shield 2015 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo X9S 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D and 4K/ HDR/ DV AVR2: Marantz NR1607 DISP2: LG OLED55C6P /3D/HDR/DV
KODI3: Shield 2015 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo X9S 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D and 4K/ HDR/ DV AVR3: Denon AVR-X3300 DISP3: LG OLED65G6P /3D/HDR/DV
(2018-04-30, 15:22)hdmkv Wrote: Which f/w version are you using? Zidoo’s native (external) player is the Realtek player. ZDMC’s internal playback is Kodi, but it isn’t really optimized for Realtek. For most video playback, you’ll want to enable external playback in ZDMC.

It’s possible Zidoo could evolve ZDMC so that the native player is embedded inside ZDMC, but we haven’t seen any indication they want to do this. But, library scanning works perfectly within ZDMC as it has nothing to do with the native player. Only playback is pushed to the native player when external playback is enabled in ZDMC.

With the native player, auto refresh, resolution and colorspace switching are all working well with the latest beta f/w. Your settings will probably need to be different, but I’ll post mine when I get home this evening.
Thank you for a response. 
The problem with library is updating stats, ZDMC/KODI has library stats which you can set on info panels (movies watched, unwatched, in progress), playing movies via external player(Realtek ZIDOO player) does not update those stats at all. 
Also as I've stated using NATIVE Zidoo player (Realtek player) it doesn't switch correctly video resolution depending on the source file, I'm using latest FW of zidoo 2.0.15 and latest ZDMC.
Its easy to compare because I've got OPPO UDP 203, which plays files as SOURCE without any problems and feeds signal correctly depending on SOURCE file.
Good afternoon, I'm thinking of buying one Zidoo x9s.

I need:

- auto framerate
- auto switching color range & space (for example: 2160p 4.2.0 10bit BT2020 and i'll put one movie 1080p, the system changes auto to 1080p resolution 4.2.0 8bit BT 709)

Does Zidoo x9s do it whit the last beta firmware?
(2018-04-30, 16:52)ROMERO91 Wrote: Good afternoon, I'm thinking of buying one Zidoo x9s.

I need:

- auto framerate
- auto switching color range & space (for example: 2160p 4.2.0 10bit BT2020 and i'll put one movie 1080p, the system changes auto to 1080p resolution 4.2.0 8bit BT 709)

Hi,

Just tested it myself recently they have fixed issues in beta release 2.0.15 and it works!!! Now my Lumagen sees correct signal feed as source file, so all files are played natively with correct Frame Rate and resolution. HDR was working before but now they fixed 1080p and other source files. 
In order to achieve this, you'll need latest beta firmware, then in DISPLAY settings set HDMI to AUTO, and choose Change Refresh Rate and Resolution, otherwise system won't change it. Now I'm more happy with this, as I can choose at what level I want to do upscaling at Lumagen Level or at Projector Level, but not at Zidoo level.
(2018-04-30, 17:21)sergejskr Wrote:
(2018-04-30, 16:52)ROMERO91 Wrote: Good afternoon, I'm thinking of buying one Zidoo x9s.

I need:

- auto framerate

Hi,

Just tested it myself recently they have fixed issues in beta release 2.0.15 and it works!!! Now my Lumagen sees correct signal feed as source file, so all files are played natively with correct Frame Rate and resolution. HDR was working before but now they fixed 1080p and other source files. 
In order to achieve this, you'll need latest beta firmware, then in DISPLAY settings set HDMI to AUTO, and choose Change Refresh Rate and Resolution, otherwise system won't change it. Now I'm more happy with this, as I can choose at what level I want to do upscaling at Lumagen Level or at Projector Level, but not at Zidoo level. 
 ¿Really? THANKS!
If I'm not wrong, it would be the only android box that does all this automatically does without problems !!!
I buy it now Smile
(2018-04-30, 17:51)ROMERO91 Wrote:
(2018-04-30, 17:21)sergejskr Wrote:

I need:

- auto framerate

Hi,

¿Really? THANKS!
If I'm not wrong, it would be the only android box that does all this automatically does without problems !!!
I buy it now Smile 
Well there is a well known ZAPITTI Android box as well, I haven't tested but its doing exactly the same as ZIDOO, but Zapitti costs tripple as x9s so I see no reason having that player ) But they should have no issues as well with playing files as SOURCE.
Video Chain: SONY VPL-VW760ES/VPL-VW885ES > Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 > OPPO UDP-203/ZIDOO X9S > Elite Screen 16:9 135" 1.1 Gain MaxWhite
Audio: Sony BDMV 9200 5.1 System
My PC Build: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm6Q52FS
(2018-04-30, 18:47)sergejskr Wrote:
(2018-04-30, 17:51)ROMERO91 Wrote:
(2018-04-30, 17:21)sergejskr Wrote:  Hi,

¿Really? THANKS!
I buy it now Smile  
Well there is a well known ZAPITTI Android box as well, I haven't tested but its doing exactly the same as ZIDOO, but Zapitti costs tripple as x9s so I see no reason having that player ) But they should have no issues as well with playing files as SOURCE. 
Thanks! and it's work with all X9s operating system, no? Kodi, internal player, Plex...?
@sergejskr, glad you got it working. With ZDMC (Kodi) library stats, I agree, you have to manually manage. I bring up the context menu and mark as watched. For partially watched, although status won't show as such in ZDMC, the native player does bookmark where you left off.

@ROMERO91, yes it all works within X9S. You'll need to use ZDMC 17.6.1, a Kodi fork especially for Zidoo. For Plex, Zidoo isn't an ideal solution.
(2018-05-01, 00:33)hdmkv Wrote: @sergejskr, glad you got it working. With ZDMC (Kodi) library stats, I agree, you have to manually manage. I bring up the context menu and mark as watched. For partially watched, although status won't show as such in ZDMC, the native player does bookmark where you left off.

@ROMERO91, yes it all works within X9S. You'll need to use ZDMC 17.6.1, a Kodi fork especially for Zidoo. For Plex, Zidoo isn't an ideal solution.

okay! Why is it not ideal to use the Plex addon in Kodi with Zidoo? Then, If I want to play my local videos stored on a NAS with the highest possible quality, I Will use ZDMC with SMB protocol or how? Thank you!!
(2018-05-01, 01:42)ROMERO91 Wrote: okay! Why is it not ideal to use the Plex addon in Kodi with Zidoo? Then, If I want to play my local videos stored on a NAS with the highest possible quality, I Will use ZDMC with SMB protocol or how? Thank you!!
On the Zidoo X9S you cannot just install Kodi from the Google Playstore and get HD audio, 4K HDR, deinterlacing and everything else working properly, because the Chipset used in the device has no Firmware support for Kodi's hardware acceleration - Mediacodec - to give you such features. I believe there is no IEC61937 audio support in Firmware either for native HD Kodi Audio.

So the external - NATIVE Zidoo player (Realtek player) App has to be called from within Kodi (or ZDMC in the X9S case) to provide such HD audio, 4K HDR & deinterlacing etc support. This is where life starts getting complicated if you get too demanding with this dual ZDMC / Zidoo Player software approach...

Such as trying to use 4K HDR Plex which would need direct play support. So now you have three things in the mix. ZDMC (Kodi), Plex and the NATIVE Zidoo player (Realtek player) App. What could go possibly go wrong ?

Are you sure you know what you are getting into ?
This ZDMC (Kodi), external Ziddoo Player software approach is NOT the ideal way to run Kodi at all - it simply adds an unnecessary layer of extra complication if all you want is a pure Kodi experience. Big TIP - keep it simple.

It is also why 4K HDR, HD Audio boxes like the AMLogic S905X, S912 are popular because they are optimised from the ground up to run Kodi as bug free as possible without extra, un-neccessary complications like external software players or the Android Operating System overheads.

Agree w/@wrxtasy in that if you want auto refresh/resolution/colorspace switching but don't need 3D MVC support, LibreELEC (or now CoreELEC) may be the better way to go. But, this depends on what 4K display you have. If you have a 4K projector like me w/only 4:2:2 support, then for now, neither LE nor CE are viable options.

Also, if you don't need HD audio, consider Apple TV 4K with MrMC (Kodi fork).
  • 134(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zidoo X9S (X-series) 4K HDR / 3D / HD Audio / ZDMC (Kodi fork): Review & Use8