Solved Artist Names
Hello, all. I have a small issue with a few albums. The musician names appear as "LBUM", "LBUM ARTIS" and "LBUM ARTIST". If I look at the properties, the correct name is there. Everything I have was tagged with mp3Tag and done in a consistent manner, so I'm at a loss as to how to get Kodi to reflect the tags. Thanks in advance for any help-and if it matters, this is Krypton B1.
That does sound like a tag corrupton of somekind. What kind of music file - FLAC, mp3 etc. - and if mp3 what kind of tagging ID3 v2.4 or 2.3 etc. Could they contain mixed tag formats? Could you make an example music file available? Otherwise maybe a screen shot from Mp3tag could be a place to start.

I'm not sure how/where to host an audio file, but to give an example of the tags of one affected song, it's ID3v2.3 (ID3v1 ID3v2.3). All my music is mp3 and there's ~six albums involved. Most of the affected stuff is Japanese in origin; doujin game arrangements and indie albums. However, there are a few Western albums. I do have a few tracks with an additional APEv2, but none of them are affected and the rest are otherwise all the same.

Reviewing the affected files, I don't see anything in mp3Tag to reflect the corrupted artist listing. I did wonder if there's a scraping issue so I tried changing from Universal Album Scraper to AudioDB for one of the above. It didn't matter. I've also cleaned the music library many times.

Thanks for your help and if there's anything else I can answer, please ask.

EDIT: Included an mp3Tag screenshot.
AFAIK the only way for "LBUM", "LBUM ARTIS" and "LBUM ARTIST" to get into the artist name is for it to be scanned from tags in the music files, and unfortunately I can't see enough tags from the Mp3tag screen shot.

I really don't want to pass music files around, with all the copyright implications, but it is probably the easiest why for me to check what is happening. What other people have done is to upload a few music files most likely to show the issue - not the whole collection - to some cloud space such as Dropbox and then PM me the link (you won't be able to PM me until you have made 10 posts). Once I have the data you can then remove the files. If you can find your way to doing that then it would be great.

Meanwhile looking closer with Mp3tag might revel something. Can you point it at just the Touhou Project folder so it only shows the files in there. Screen shot of that. Then if any of them is notable (or pick first track on album) hightlight that and get up more details by pressing ctrl+T. The dialog box than comes up show more tags, enlarge that if you can to show as much as possble and take a screen shot.

From within Kodi:
what happens if you click on that album, what songs are shown?
what does album infomation show (context menu item - C or right click)?

Possibly switch to Confluence skin, it shows more data on the album and song information dialogs.

By time you have posted all those screen shots (in separate posts) to will be able to PM me with a link. Smile
Also worth right clicking and removing the tag, Then re-entering it with MP3 tag.

That will make sure there are no legacy tags confusing things.
(2016-09-26, 11:47)zag Wrote: Also worth right clicking and removing the tag, Then re-entering it with MP3 tag.

That will make sure there are no legacy tags confusing things.
I presumed when the OP said "Everything I have was tagged with mp3Tag and done in a consistent" that the files were tagged from clean. But maybe not, in that case yes try clearing all the tags for one of the problem albums and retagging. Does the problem disappear?
Yes, all the other song file properties are off the side of the screen in mp3Tag. I didn't think to scroll and get the rest of it. I'll make a copy of those affected files and run them through Audacity, delete the originals, start Kodi/clear Music/add the Audacity copies and see the results.

Thinking on it, when I discovered Kodi, I used the Amazon metadata via mp3Tag. I do recall there was some strange or superfluous stuff that would come back occasionally. I sometimes didn't catch it and am still going back through stuff I see under the various categories in Kodi. However, I don't think that's applicable for the Japanese indie stuff as there was no information for those.

I'll get back with the results. Thanks again.
Stop!
Audacity is not the way to remove the tags!! And completley untagged music files will not we loaded into the music library.

Remove the tags in Mp3tag. Add the tags again from mp3tag.

Also the mail screen of Mp3tag only shows those tags that you tell is to, you can configure the columns. Using ctrl+T on a song will give more detiail without you guessing what that detail is.
OK, but I already tried it. And it worked great. Audacity showed variously LBUM, LBUM ARTIS and LBUM ARTIST where mp3Tag didn't-at least as I have it configured. I can post screenshots, but don't see the need

As mentioned, I copied the files, cleared Kodi and ran the copies through Audacity. When I chose Export, I saw the problem and corrected it. I placed the revised music files back in their respective folders, started Kodi and they now show up with the artist name.I realize it's probably an inelegant way of doing this, but I had no idea where the problem lay, as the artist/band names were showing properly in mp3Tag.

I was at a loss as to why these files in question displayed incorrectly in Kodi when they looked fine in mp3Tag. Kodi is fine; IDK how these few songs got corrupted tags, but I have sorted it out. Thanks again, all.
More than likely they are associated with older id3v1 tags that MP3tag will not show by default.
So all is well that ends well - the problem was in the tags and you fixed it.

And I Iearnt that Audacity shows metadata :p
I was remembering a very very old version made for a simpler world. Smile
Thank you both. That's why I donated; to keep and improve a great open-source multi-media player and the community support.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Artist Names0