Windows 10 Anniversary Update Broke SMB shares from Kodi
I have an Win10 NUC box with an external disk array that provides my SMB file shares.

After applying the Win 10 Anniversary update, couldn't access SMB shares from KODI although fine from everywhere else.
Invalid Argument error.

After a lot of googling, found a registry tweak that fixed it, Guessing there's a new default value in the update or something.

Thought I'd post here with lots of the keywords in case it happens to anyone else!

Solution that worked for me was found here:

http://www.eightforums.com/network-shari...8-1-a.html

Quote:The solution was to increase the IRPStackSize parameter for Lanmanserver through the registry.

The key is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

Create a new DWORD called IRPStackSize (if it doesn't already exist). Set it to a decimal value of 18 and increase incrementally by 3 until you can access the share. You will need to restart the "Server" service or restart your PC after every change for it to take effect.

Changes in IRP Stack Size in Lanman Server
Description of the IRPStackSize parameter in Windows 2000, in Windows XP, and in Windows Server 2003

The default value is 15. I set mine to 31.

My value is 27 now, 18, 21, 24 didn't work
Thread moved to Windows
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Sorry, I didn't put it in that forum because the description is "Questions about Kodi for Windows go here"

Should have been clearer, running Kodibuntu, this issue won't affect Kodi on Windows
You're right, but there are a ton of threads about windows' rubbishy smb sharing and they're all in here.
This is actually also how you fix usb shares in Windows 10 even before anniversary edition.
I didn't have the issue before the update, *for me*, the update introduced it, just trying to help if it happens to anyone else
Same here. I have 2 USB drive bays that each hold 4 drives.

After the latest Win10 update I started getting the invalid arguement error anytime I tried to access any of the 4 drives in the second drive bay. Yet,the four drives in the first drive bay still work perfectly.

The update also screwed up the visibility of my main computer on my network as a whole. Suddenly none of my other computers could see it. I found a thread that had me identify about 10 different services, turn them from amnual to automatic, and restart them. This fixed my pc's visibility on the network.

I find it ridiculous that an update I didn't even choose to install caused such havoc with my network permissions and visibility.

I have made the change noted on this thread, but haven't been able to reboot that machine yet to see if it worked. My fingers are crossed. My kids rely on our media boxes to the point that it is a crisis around here when they suddenly stop working.
The update broke a lot of stuff. For me personally, my current count is:

SMB.
Network drop-down tag in Windows File Explorer.
Task Scheduler entries that I've added manually.

The latter two are really annoying for me, especially the task scheduler one. Having to add another program to Windows to work around it and do the job task scheduler was happily doing last week before the update.

I'm really wondering whether they actually bothered to test any of this update at all before forcing it on everyone stuck with Win10.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Shit man.. I restarted my server to install this update and now I can't access my movies. Thanks MS for shoving these updates down our throats.

Hmmm... are you saying that two Win10 machines shouldn't need this? Because that's my situation, I don't have that key in my registry and everything is working as it should. I just want to be sure to understand your situation.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
^^You shouldn't need to modify the registry, but I had to redo the sharing on my update to AE.
Media_Center_Master (wiki) || First_time_user (wiki) || Kodi Store || T-shirts: Villian, Protest, Graffiti, Emoji, Black on Black, K-18L
So before this last update I was able to share my Wimdows 10 Pc without needing to put in any user or password. After this update I had to create another account and on the other computers use the login to get access.

What prompted the need for another account? The first account you create in Windows 10 is an admin one by default.
Media_Center_Master (wiki) || First_time_user (wiki) || Kodi Store || T-shirts: Villian, Protest, Graffiti, Emoji, Black on Black, K-18L
The first option in this thread worked for me by increasing to 33. I no longer have the error message which started when I updated to the win10 anniversary edition. Thanks
I had the same issue, and no amount of registry tweaks, changing the way I tried to map the share (by IP, append the port etc etc) worked for me. Trying to connect to the network share always gave me an instant time out error, and hitting the Windows (SMB) link under browse for new share gave me the mysterious "error 2". There was just no way to make it work, and after spending hours on it, I had no option but to give up. I ended up installing Plex Server on the Windows box as a workaround, and later the Plex app on my Android TV, which is really nice by the way, but last night finally figured the issue out.

I initially assumed it was a problem with my Android TV. However, a month or so after installing Plex, I fired up Kodi on my Macbook, and noticed that it had the exact same issue when trying to connect to the Windows share. I was able to connect to the Windows share fine through Finder, just not through Kodi, so I knew that the issue was specific to Kodi and the Windows share.

Kodi only works with SMB1 apparently, and for whatever reason, in the anniversary update, that's no longer installed by default.

To resolve it, I ran appwiz.cpl, Turn Windows Features On or Off, and enabled SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support. I also installed SMB Direct, but I suspect that's unrelated.

After enabling the feature and restarting the Server service, Kodi was able to connect to the share immediately.

Hopefully if anyone else is having this issue, this is helpful and saves them from the frustration and workarounds that I had to go through.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 10 Anniversary Update Broke SMB shares from Kodi0