Req Folder artwork in file view mode
Would there be any way to get something more interesting than the default grey folder icon for folders when browsing in file mode (aside from adding a folder.jpg file to each and every one of them)?

I've got my media stored in 4 separate folder trees (movies and TV shows, each for family and general media) and generally use file mode rather than library mode to view them (I use Pi's a lot using Amber skin, which doesn't support video nodes but can link file trees to the menu via favourites). But when viewing them, most of the list is just displayed as the rather bland list with the ugly default icon in the lower-left quarter of the screen. I checked in Confluence and Estuary and they both display much the same for a similar view.

What would be much nicer is if the folder thumbnail could perhaps use the same metadata as in library mode, with or without the fanart background as well perhaps. Would that (or indeed is it currently) possible to do? Maybe have folder.jpg override that, and only fall back on the default folder icon if no metadata is available for the folder content?
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Video nodes are skin agnostic. That is, they work in every skin, because every skin supports the default video nodes. Plus, I'm using Amber with custom video nodes right now :)

That being said, if you are looking in the file view at a list of TV shows, it should show the posters even if they are not exported as images. Or do you mean something else?
I was playing with the library node editor last night (also tried the video node editor, but that wouldn't install under Krypton, choked with dependency errors) and it didn't seem to do anything even with the default nodes. I can get the idea of how to set the nodes up based around the path to the folders, but getting them to actually be selectable from the main menu is defeating me (if I use favourites from the editor add-on, it just links to the node edit screen).

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but would be interested to know how you got new nodes to work with the Amber menu.

At the moment I've got the folders set as favourites, and those linked to the Amber main menu. Works fine, but comes up in file view mode rather than library mode (as you would expect) and shows the list of folders (the ones for the individual shows) with the default icon. There are some screenshots in this thread illustrating what I mean.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
When I set mine up I manually created the node xml files, but as long as they are created then it should work. I go into "Videos" and then navigate to the nodes I want to add to the home screen and add those to favorites.
Thanks - I'll test that out tonight. Would be happy to switch to using nodes if I they can be linked to the menu as you describe.

Kodi Blog Posts
OK that works well. Just needed the info of where to find the new nodes, as I rarely go into the video menu itself.

Would still be nice to use the metadata in file mode though I think if it's there anyway for the folders content.

Kodi Blog Posts
It should still show metadata in the files view. At least for TV show folders, episodes files, and movies (single file or in a folder). Season folders and any other non-show/movie folders will just look like folders.
Oh, and for movies that are in individual folders, you might need to enable "Combine split video items" for this to work in file view.
It shows the metadata when you're in the folder (looking at the episodes), and also shows when you're in a movies folder looking at individual movie files.

My meaning was one level higher, when you're in a folder containing the sub-folders with the media in it. There you just see default background and the default folder icon, like in the screenshots I linked to above. It just seems a shame to have such a boring view there when the metadata is already available to use in place of that default folder icon in many cases. That was the request.

Kodi Blog Posts
Is it possible to put a Jpg picture in the folder.
what must be the name that kodi shows it when browsing the folders?
@Witzker

poster.jpg or <videofilename>-poster for the portrait orientated Poster image

fanart.jpg or <videofilename>-fanart for the landscape orientated Fanart image.

See... Artwork (wiki) for more info.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Folder artwork in file view mode0