v16 Commodore SID tune support
Good evening,
I have been trying to figure out if Kodi has any support to play/listen to Commodore 64 .SID files (such as those from HVSC). When I attempt to Google, I can find some older references as if there is or was support. Some are older XMBC links, and others referring to Paplayer supporting it.
I have tried to get these to play using both the Windows version as well as Android based installed on my Amazon Firestick (both are running Jarvis). However browsing the folders that contain the .sid files don't show the files (assuming this means that Kodi does not recognize the file type and ignores them.
Any suggestions or assistance is appreciated! Smile
Quote:assuming this means that Kodi does not recognize the file type and ignores them.
That would be a good guess. Features and supported formats (wiki) if there's one here it should play Samples (wiki), if you're having trouble getting Kodi to see the file, change file extension to something that Kodi would be happy with, and see if it plays. My suggestion, is to convert the audio to a modern format (but I think you knew that).

If indeed an old XBMC version did handle this format, perhaps a bit of digging will turn up the version, and an old install.
Actually you can even see SID is listed there on that wiki page, listed in section 3.1 in the Audio Formats. It's near the end of the list, between Genesis and Adlib.

I tried as you suggested and renamed a .sid file to .mp3. Kodi does show the file at that point, however selecting it failed to play it.
I am going to take a guess that what's listed in the wiki should indicate what Kodi should be able to handle without additional add-ons?
Also, while it certainly would be possible to convert sid music to mp3 or other format, but that would take up quite alot of extra space, especially as most sid files contain multiple tracks. Not to mention the large assortment of sid files in the HVSC pack.
Thanks for the quick reply btw. Smile
I know v17 does have a SID audiodecoder. not_spiff was the one who ported these all to binary addons.

You could try a portable install of v17 and try
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Just installed v17 Beta3 (should be the latest from the nightly builds). Still the same issue. I can get to the directory but not see any .sid files.

Also tried to rename a file as mp3. I can rightclick the file and tell it to open the file with PAPlayer. However it gives the error that playback failed.
This is the Windows version (and I'm running Win10 Pro). In case that helps any.
Besides PAPlayer the only other choice is video player (which I also tried but no go)
Check in your Kodi install folder (under Program Files or where ever you installed to) for the addons folder then in there should a load of audiodecoder add-ons, one of these should be "audiodecoder.sidplay" which I'm guessing is the one needed here. If that audiodecoder add-on is present then I would guess the recognition of the .sid extension is no longer included in the core code, in which adding it as an extension to a advancedsettings.xml following http://kodi.wiki/view/advancedsettings.x...extensions should work. If you then still have problems then a debug log would be required.
If the decoder is installed it should auto recognise the sid files. Maybe spiff can comment?
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I've created the advancedsettings.xml file and added the .sid extention. This does fix it so the .sid files will display, however attempting to play one produces a delay followed by the error that playback has failed. Also, I checked the addons folder and there is a sidplay audiodecoder addon (with files in it's folder).
I've included the debug log below (shortened down to fit here):
Code:
12:00:20 T:12732  NOTICE: Loaded settings file from special://profile/advancedsettings.xml
12:00:20 T:12732  NOTICE: Contents of special://profile/advancedsettings.xml are...
                                            <advancedsettings>
                                              <musicextensions>
                                                <add>.sid</add>
                                              </musicextensions>
                                            </advancedsettings>
12:00:26 T:12732 WARNING: XFILE::CFileFactory::CreateLoader - unsupported protocol(sources) in sources://music.tbn
12:00:31 T:12732   ERROR: CDVDDemuxFFmpeg::Open - error probing input format, C:\NostromoBak\The Alien\Music\sids\C64Music\MUSICIANS\T\Tel_Jeroen\Alloyrun.sid
12:00:31 T:12732   ERROR: VideoPlayerCodec::Init: Error creating demuxer
12:00:31 T:12732   ERROR: CAudioDecoder: Unable to Init Codec while loading file C:\NostromoBak\The Alien\Music\sids\C64Music\MUSICIANS\T\Tel_Jeroen\Alloyrun.sid
12:00:31 T:12732 WARNING: PAPlayer::QueueNextFileEx - Failed to create the decoder
12:00:31 T:12732   ERROR: Playlist Player: skipping unplayable item: 4, path [C:\NostromoBak\The Alien\Music\sids\C64Music\MUSICIANS\T\Tel_Jeroen\Alloyrun.sid]
12:00:31 T:12732   ERROR: CDVDDemuxFFmpeg::Open - error probing input format, C:\NostromoBak\The Alien\Music\sids\C64Music\MUSICIANS\T\Tel_Jeroen\Alloyrun_v2.sid
12:00:31 T:12732   ERROR: CAudioDecoder: Unable to Init Codec while loading file C:\NostromoBak\The Alien\Music\sids\C64Music\MUSICIANS\T\Tel_Jeroen\Alloyrun_v2.sid
12:00:31 T:12732 WARNING: PAPlayer::QueueNextFileEx - Failed to create the decoder
12:00:31 T:12732   ERROR: Playlist Player: skipping unplayable item: 5, path [C:\NostromoBak\The Alien\Music\sids\C64Music\MUSICIANS\T\Tel_Jeroen\Alloyrun_v2.sid]
12:00:31 T:12732   ERROR: CDVDDemuxFFmpeg::Open - error probing input format, C:\NostromoBak\The Alien\Music\sids\C64Music\MUSICIANS\T\Tel_Jeroen\Alternative_Fuel.sid
12:00:31 T:12732   ERROR: CAudioDecoder: Unable to Init Codec while loading file C:\NostromoBak\The Alien\Music\sids\C64Music\MUSICIANS\T\Tel_Jeroen\Alternative_Fuel.sid
12:00:31 T:12732   ERROR: Playlist Player: skipping unplayable item: 6, path [C:\NostromoBak\The Alien\Music\sids\C64Music\MUSICIANS\T\Tel_Jeroen\Alternative_Fuel.sid]
12:00:50 T:12732  NOTICE: Storing total System Uptime
12:00:50 T:12732  NOTICE: Saving settings
12:00:50 T:12732  NOTICE: Saving skin settings
12:00:50 T:12732  NOTICE: stop all
12:00:50 T:12732  NOTICE: stop player
12:00:50 T:12732  NOTICE: ES: Stopping event server
12:00:50 T:12732  NOTICE: stopping upnp
12:00:51 T:8684  NOTICE: ES: UDP Event server stopped
12:00:51 T:12732  NOTICE: clean cached files!
12:00:52 T:2272  NOTICE: 1Channel: Service: shutting down...
12:00:57 T:12732   ERROR: CPythonInvoker(5, C:\Users\the alien.LV-426BBS\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.module.axel.downloader\default.py): script didn't stop in 5 seconds - let's kill it
12:00:57 T:12732  NOTICE: closing down remote control service
12:00:57 T:12732  NOTICE: stopped
12:00:58 T:12732  NOTICE: destroy
12:00:58 T:12732  NOTICE: unload skin
12:01:02 T:12732 WARNING: Attempted to remove window 10016 from the window manager when it didn't exist
12:01:02 T:12732  NOTICE: unload sections
12:01:02 T:12732  NOTICE: special://profile/ is mapped to: special://masterprofile/
12:01:02 T:12732  NOTICE: application stopped...
12:01:02 T:12732   FATAL: /libcurl.dll is a system dll and should never be released
12:01:02 T:12732   FATAL: /cpluff.dll is a system dll and should never be released
12:01:02 T:12732   FATAL: /cec.dll is a system dll and should never be released
That's not a debug log_file (wiki) in addition never shorten a log file, and also don't post logs directly into the forum, instead use a paste site such as http://pastebin.com/ or http://paste.ubuntu.com/
Sorry about that.
I think I got the debug sorted out this time (turned it on).
Debug Log
Only had time for a brief look, but to me it looks like it's not being passed to the appropiate audio decoder.
I was sort of wondering that myself. I notice it says "detected format" as mp3 for some reason (sid music typically doesn't include digital tunes, not sure why it is detecting as such. I'd guess Kodi should be checking for file header data to determine the file type).
Its a good bet that the file format detection is the issue here. I'm just not familiar with Kodi enough to know if there is an override that can be put in, or how it does a check on file formats.
If needed, I can dig online for more detailed information on the normal .sid file format. I am pretty sure they have some sort of header attached to the rest of the music player routines and music data.
Just let me know if you need anything else.
Thanks!
Does anyone know if there is some way to force/override the file format detection?
I tried to search for a username on the forums labeled not_spiff to see if I could try to reach out to them. However the search didn't come back with any results. Are they under a different name in the forums?
hi, i'm notspiff. you have to install and activate the audiodecoder.sidplay audio decoder add-on. sid files will then automagically show up in the browser, you don't have to add extensions manually or do anything else. for some reason i cannot fathom team kodi has chosen to deactivate all add-ons by default. you have to go into the add-on browser, browse your way to the audio decoder, open info then hit 'enable'. KISS my backend.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Commodore SID tune support0