• 4(current)
[LINUX/MAC/WINDOWS] MPlayer porting to XBMC for Linux/Mac/Windows?
Ok guys, I can say pretty much for sure, that their was a person really looking to help in this project but with the attitudes floating around here (btw I saw the same thing when the fight with even suggesting a port in the first place started) he doesn't want to work with a group that is sort of closed off avenues to other options. BTW this person knows his shit, and has written many decoders for projects I can't mention.

With alpha or i would call this pre-alpha you should still be looking at alternatives, while their is a clear path with dvd player now, you might come to a point where things cant be put into dvd player or that other more mature players can handle and have had the man hours to figure it out. I personally use ffmpeg to encode alot and have seen that as a player its not the best on the market but with that said at least dvd player is based upon this which is good.

I think this constant bickering is useless from a developer and user stand point, and let me say it again I think everyone here appreciates the work being done, but I think their are also a lot of very smart people on this form that can some times look outside of the box and look in and see that maybe potentially using something like dvdplayer will lead to a dead end or require a lot more work in the future than it would of been to look at something else (lots of optimizations, filters, post processing, the way codecs and decoded etc)

Yes I have been around a long time watching mostly from the outside but this one struck something personal and I know for sure someone that has the skills to take things to the next level doesn't want to work with a team strikes out like that. How ever I also want to state being a developer I do realize that getting asked the same thing over and over can be annoying but some times you need to stop and think, why is this question being asked over and over and is it a better choice.

Ill stop this rant, but I think everyone needs to lighten up a bit, enjoy the work being done and also work with other potential people that would be willing to work with a team.

Sad
-------------
I Bare It All -Personal Blog
The developers are skeptical of endusers coming into the forums and suggesting major backend changes with no plans to do anything to assist, and rightfully so. They have focused goals and are working to accomplish them. But as we've seen with the OSX port they are extremely welcoming to new developers.
Information 
Know that XBMC has a very flexible dynamic loader system ("the DLL loader") that can in theory load any open source software player that is ported to use it, nothing is impossible, ...it only depends if a programmer if willing has the skill and is willing to spend the time required on any one specific player (without getting paid for it). It has already been explained previously in this topic thread why exactly MPlayer in particular is not designed to work 'as is' with XBMC in an acceptable way and would thus need major reconstruction to its code (again, what is needed time and enough interest from a volunteering skilled programmer, ...and again, that person would not get paid for his time).
http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/?tit...DLL_Loader
http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/?tit..._Libraries
http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/?tit...it_a_patch

I do not agree that we, Team-XBMC, as a group are more "closed off" than any other open source development project, we have always more than welcomed new developers and we will always continue to do so, ...it is just that we have been 'burned' on more than one occasion, you see, when a person have come to us and promised all the gold at the end of the rainbow if only that person gets to officially join the team to see what goes on 'backstage', then once that person been welcomed in to join our team that said person have ended up delivered absolutely nothing, (so all mouth and no action). In the end we had to set a simple rule so that no one get to officially join Team-XBMC until he or she has first delivered proof that they are willing to commit to XBMC development and actually actively contribute to the project and the team. Please, follow these links and do some reading if you are interested in joining and the history on why we have the selection process that we do today:
http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/?tit...pment-Team
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=3184
If you like to contribute to the XBMC project without joining Team-XBMC that is fine as well.

IMHO if a person says that they are not willing to contribute to XBMC because of a few individual attitudes and opinions then that person is probably just another one of those; "all mouth and no action" type of person, (since those attitudes and opinions that we as individuals express does not always express the official attitude and opinion of the whole Team-XBMC and The XBMC Project. Remember that we are only human and can all have a bad day or week). So I say step-up and prove your willingness, or be quiet if you are not willing to contribute, but then you have no right to complain or whine.
http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/?tit..._manifesto

Ask not what XBMC can do for you, but what you can do for XBMC! Big Grin
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok guys, I can say pretty much for sure, that their was a person really looking to help in this project but with the attitudes floating around here (btw I saw the same thing when the fight with even suggesting a port in the first place started) he doesn't want to work with a group that is sort of closed off avenues to other options. BTW this person knows his shit, and has written many decoders for projects I can't mention.

WAHHAHA. omgf. thanks for the laugh. is it santa?
Dont get me wrong sounds great... but also a touch to good to be true. Half the features you see are because developers want them and see them as beneficial to users not the other way round. So as for open avenues if adding stuff thats beneficial then i cannot think of 1 developer on the team that would say no.

So ive come to the conclusion that yes... it must be Santa. Smile or it could be the telesales guy.

<<<<<<<<<<<<
lols
spiff Wrote:WAHHAHA. omgf. thanks for the laugh. is it santa?

exactly my point, no it wasnt santa, but pretty damn close if he would of joined
-------------
Guys,

discussion seems not to be related to initial subject and also is not productive anymore. Perhaps move to "free user talk" now....

@gateway69:
I'm actually hacking something: I've taken the "DummyVideoPlayer/IPlayer" stuff and try to start mplayer in fullscreen from this. Seems to be quite easy, because xbmc project and its source is - in contrast to may other open source projects Wink - very well documented and structured (coool!) and does not interference with official xbmx development (hopefully). Of course nothing official just hacky....and need to fit my working schedule...
Thumbs Down 
gateway69 Wrote:exactly my point, no it wasnt santa, but pretty damn close if he would of joined
Sounds like vapourware to me. Now please get back on topic.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
It would be very cool to have some way to use mplayer as an alternative video player, even without the XBMC interface, just support for the remote control and standard mplayer OSD. Particularly with support for windows DLLs like coreavc for faster h.264 and microsoft's wmv libraries for WMV playback without annoying slowdown.
rodalpho Wrote:It would be very cool to have some way to use mplayer as an alternative video player, even without the XBMC interface, just support for the remote control and standard mplayer OSD. Particularly with support for windows DLLs like coreavc for faster h.264 and microsoft's wmv libraries for WMV playback without annoying slowdown.

Actually I would say the opposite. One of the most important reasons why XBMC kicks ass (in my opinion) is that it packages everything neatly and all controlls/interfaces are seriously polished.
MythTV and Freevo does like you suggest and both of these suffer from control problem. What I mean with control problem is that pressing the button "X" in XBMC would mean Stop, it may not be that way in mPlayer. Sure this can be made the same in both. But not as easy for the enduser as with XBMC.
Also NO overlay will be possible. You can't walk around in the menu's while playing video. MythTV doesn't even let you wander around the menu's while playing music. This is AWFULL!

I get your point that if it's easier, do it. But I for one can sacrifice obscure media codecs for usability, polished interface and such.

Believe me, try MythTV and/or Freevo for about 2 seconds and you'll hate it when used to XBMC's way!
I did assume that remote control buttons would be mapped identically. But sure, agreed, they suck. It's like the comparison between your cable company's DVR and a TiVo.

But on the other hand, I can't skip through WMV files on XBMC without a 3-7 second slowdown and XBMC/linux requires very hefty hardware for h.264 decoding. The option to use mplayer for files that dvdplayer can't currently handle would be welcome.
Thumbs Up 
amode Wrote:Guys,

@gateway69:
I'm actually hacking something: I've taken the "DummyVideoPlayer/IPlayer" stuff and try to start mplayer in fullscreen from this. Seems to be quite easy, because xbmc project and its source is - in contrast to may other open source projects Wink - very well documented and structured (coool!) and does not interference with official xbmx development (hopefully). Of course nothing official just hacky....and need to fit my working schedule...

Nod

* gateway69 smells vapors all the pleasant smell.. :p
-------------
gateway69 Wrote:Nod

* gateway69 smells vapors all the pleasant smell.. :p

haha see the vapors are getting to me, i meant the "ahh the pleasant smell"

Can't we all just get along Group Hug
-------------
rodalpho Wrote:I did assume that remote control buttons would be mapped identically. But sure, agreed, they suck. It's like the comparison between your cable company's DVR and a TiVo.

But on the other hand, I can't skip through WMV files on XBMC without a 3-7 second slowdown and XBMC/linux requires very hefty hardware for h.264 decoding. The option to use mplayer for files that dvdplayer can't currently handle would be welcome.

Seems as this might be possible in the near future Smile
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=1...post165557
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX/MAC/WINDOWS] MPlayer porting to XBMC for Linux/Mac/Windows?0