PSA: The forum server will be physically migrated to a new datacenter. Expect a large downtime of the forum between the 27th and the 29th of September.

Linux - Instructions to unistall Kodi

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WelshPaul Offline
Fan
I'm going through the learning process with Ubuntu, so please do check with someone who knows what they're talking about, but.....

In the wiki for How to install Kodi on Linux the uninstall instructions in section 1.6 says:

Code:
Then remove the settings folder to remove all settings and library data. This will not delete any videos or music, but just the settings and library data itself:

rm ~/.kodi/

When I tried this the terminal replied "cannot do this to a directory". Google says that command only works if the directory is empty and to use the following command which did work for me. So, either I've screwed up my system or the wiki could be updated?

Code:
rm -r ~/.kodi/
find quote
black_eagle Offline
Posting Freak
Yeah, Linux won't allow you to remove a directory that isn't empty, so the wiki is indeed wrong !!

Code:
rm -rf directoryname
will remove a directory and all its contents, including other directories and files. That's assuming that your user has the necessary rights to delete the files and directories - ie they are your users files and directories.

This can seem a bit of a pain at first, but it helps stop you deleting stuff by mistake. There's no trashcan for command line deletions Wink

Learning Linux the hard way !!
find quote
Kib Offline
Team Kodi 🐤 Member
moved to WIKI subforum.
find quote
ronie Online
Team-Kodi Member
thx! updated the wiki.

Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ and Search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
find quote