Solved [Kodi v17 Krypton] Ratings a bit mixed up
I'm using Linux (a recent convert) on my laptop to test out Kodi v17. We're still using v16 on Fire TV for the main family viewing. To be honest all I did was record a short period of silence and copied it 10 times - so nothing very exciting in the tracks, but here they are:

Track 1
Track 2
Track 3
Track 4
Track 5
Track 6
Track 7
Track 8
Track 9
Track 10
Thanks Paul, it is just better if I don't do it all myself. That is how you get silly mistakes, and wrong assumptions creep in Smile

Got a PR in for this fix https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/10866
Thank you Dave.
I don't use rating myself, but from reading the MM thread I linked I think I have a basic understanding of the issues. I think the mapping in PR 10866 addresses most issues. In the case of MM they have a design goal of compatibility with windows / WMP since they are a windows platform program. That seems to have caused the unintuitive mapping.

I note in the ParseTag function for ID3v2, there is the possibility of "ratings@xbmc.org". I guess this was an attempt to allow for Kodi to write userrating back to the POPM tag?

One thing I am wondering, though, IIUC for Vorbis RATING tag, 0-9 will be set to userrating 0. Seems like RATING 0 only should be 0 since I think RATING 0 and NULL both imply "unrated" as does userrating 0, or am I wrong about this?. I didn't follow all the "userrating" design battles, but ISTM that "unrated" should be unique, like -1. That way a Vorbis RATING of 1-9 could be set as 0 and still have meaning, though to be consistent with POPM I guess it should be 1 (0.5 stars).

Of course this assumes anyone uses Vorbis RATING, unless we get a complaint answer is probably "no".

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
Once people are told that Vorbis tag for ratings are out of 100 they seem to cope. I think 0 is intended to be unrated same as null, but my knowledge is limited.

I just want to tip-toe away from ratings now Smile
Just to confirm that updating to last night's nightly is showing correct values. I'll re-scan my actual library this evening, but got to dash now. Thanks again though Dave.

Thanks for the positive feedback Smile
Am I missing something or is overall track rating completely missing from Estuary?

(2016-12-24, 14:10)docwra Wrote: Am I missing something or is overall track rating completely missing from Estuary?
Yeap, it is missing. Sad
Use Confluence, or some other skin.
Hey guys, forgive me if I'm missing the obvious, but will there be a way to get the old ratings back? I use musicbee to set ratings which are saved in the mp3 files themselves and then scan the songs into kodi which took over the ratings in version 16. Now I don't have any ratings at all. Will the linux update talked about earlier be done for windows too and will that enable rescanning songs to take on the ratings again? Or did I misunderstand that. Surely we can't be expected to rate all our songs/albums from scratch? Thanks! I use Aeon Nox skin btw.
Try with confluence skin to see if the rating is still there.

Also you can look in the database to check with something like sqlitebrowser.

Its probably just a skin problem showing them. They should still be in the "rating" field of the DB.
(2017-01-03, 23:14)docwra Wrote: Try with confluence skin to see if the rating is still there.

Also you can look in the database to check with something like sqlitebrowser.

Its probably just a skin problem showing them. They should still be in the "rating" field of the DB.

Ah you are correct, thanks!
Ok, my android tv got automatically upgraded to v17 which has thrown all kind of wrenches into my network of kodi machines, the latest being that v17 doesn't read tags anymore if I've read correctly.

I used to use ratings and mood to create smart playlists but it seems Kodi/Music got dumbed down even more.

If I've read right in this thread, the only way to get ratings back is to create nfo's in the thousands of album folders I have?

That's not happening.

Kodi will be out for music for me if it can't read tags.
(2017-02-15, 07:10)slydog3333 Wrote: ...the latest being that v17 doesn't read tags anymore if I've read correctly.
Where did you get that crazy idea from, of course v17 reads tags, in fact it processes even more tags than any previous version.

This thread is about changes to song and album ratings. I suggest that you read it again.
(2017-02-15, 07:10)slydog3333 Wrote: I used to use ratings and mood to create smart playlists but it seems Kodi/Music got dumbed down even more.

If I've read right in this thread, the only way to get ratings back is to create nfo's in the thousands of album folders I have?

As Dave has mentioned, ratings should work exactly the same as before and are not lost on upgrade.

Unless of course you deleted your music library, or something like that.

There are options such as the TADB sync Add-on to backup your music ratings in the cloud for the future. That's what I do now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Kodi v17 Krypton] Ratings a bit mixed up0