Kodi freeze on LiveTV conflict
I had a LiveTV conflict for the first time. I had two recordings starting at the same time when I was watching LiveTV. And both recordings was on different MUX so the LiveTV couldn't continue. (At least that was what I thought happened.)
Kodi totally froze and I had to remove the power to get it running again.

The problem is, after I had restarted Kodi again and started LiveTV again (still with the recordings running), the LiveTV wasn't a conflict at all.
I have two tuners, and two virtual tuners. The two recordings take one slot on each tuner, and after starting LiveTV again the second slot on the second tuner got used.

So why did Kodi freeze? Since there was enough available tuners this shouldn't have happened.

Also, if it had been a real conflict it would have been nice if the user was informed about a conflict(maybe 60 seconds before the conflict), and has the possibility to either cancel one of the recordings and continue to watch LiveTV, or to switch to the same channel as one of the recordings. Or simply quit LiveTV so both recordings can proceed.

Something isn't working as it should in this scenario.
I get annoying events like this now and then, usually followed shortly by a complaint about 'the box' and me wasting my time on it. Smile

Q1: What version of Kodi are you running
Q2: What version of pvr.mythtv are you running
Q3: What version of mythtv backend are you running (0.27.6, 0.28 fixes etc...)
Q4: What operating system are you running kodi on (e.g. something bleeding edge like LibreElec Millhouse test build #1007 on RPi, or something more 'stable' like a kodibuntu release?)

There is a 'Conflict handling' option in the pvr.mythtv settings page which includes several options to do with 'Prefer Live TV'. What do you have this set to?

Ideally, if you can artificially re-create the situation and provide a http://kodi.wiki/view/Debug_log then someone may be able localize what bit of kodi / mythbackend / pvr.mythtv is going wrong and maybe even fix it. (The debug log will also answer Q1-4 which is the other reason it is useful)

If nothing else the process of doing this should help you understand what scenario causes the freeze, which might help you try to work around it / fix it by upgrading kodi/pvr.mythtv/mythtv server.
A1: Milhouse LibreElec, Kodi 17, beta something
A2: 4.7.2
A3: v0.28-pre-2927-g640fa06, built from source. I think I was pretty close to the release of 0.28.
A4: I'm running Milhouse LibreElec on a Pi3. Updates almost every day. Think I was on #930

I have "Prefer LiveTV when recording has a later slot" as Conflict handling

I wouldn't be surprised if the error is in the backend. Many times the solution from the developers to backend problems through the years was "Add another TV card, they are cheap".

But there is still a problem with Kodi. Even if the backend killed my LiveTV and started a recording instead. I shouldn't have to powercycle my Pi3 to get everything running again. LiveTV should have quit back to the main menu, and I could have just restarted it. Then this would have been a small problem. But because of the freeze it became a bigger problem.
Hi, on any Live tv conflict the addon should display a box to notify the user: (the message depends of your setting)

- Canceling conflicting recording: %s

- Stopping Live TV due to conflicting recording: %s

Also the addon write notice in log file. Have you any fragment of kodi log file ?
(2016-10-11, 23:45)janbar Wrote: Hi, on any Live tv conflict the addon should display a box to notify the user: (the message depends of your setting)

Also the addon write notice in log file. Have you any fragment of kodi log file ?

I will try to recreate the same situation and produce a log file with debugging turned on. I do remember that I saw some kind of message disappear just before the freeze. But don't know what the message was.

But it does feel like Kodi doesn't use the virtual tuners. Another case I had today when I wanted to watch LiveTV and all channels where unavailable. I noticed that I had two recordings running and could only watch the two channels that where recording. But need to investigate more. Don't know if I tried to tune to any channel that were on one of the two MUXes that where in use.
(2016-10-11, 23:54)raptorjr Wrote:
(2016-10-11, 23:45)janbar Wrote: Hi, on any Live tv conflict the addon should display a box to notify the user: (the message depends of your setting)

I will try to recreate the same situation and produce a log file with debugging turned on. I do remember that I saw some kind of message disappear just before the freeze. But don't know what the message was.

But it does feel like Kodi doesn't use the virtual tuners. Another case I had today when I wanted to watch LiveTV and all channels where unavailable. I noticed that I had two recordings running and could only watch the two channels that where recording. But need to investigate more. Don't know if I tried to tune to any channel that were on one of the two MUXes that where in use.

It is possible that the mythtv version of 0.28 you are using has the bug (which causes incorrect channel unavailable) relating to LiveTV and multiplex restriction code I found and patched see https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12891

This has been fixed in both 0.28/Fixes and Master, although I have only tested on master.

Suggest you rebuild with latest 0.28/Fixes source

Mike
(2016-10-12, 18:31)MikeB2013 Wrote: It is possible that the mythtv version of 0.28 you are using has the bug (which causes incorrect channel unavailable) relating to LiveTV and multiplex restriction code I found and patched see https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12891

This has been fixed in both 0.28/Fixes and Master, although I have only tested on master.

Suggest you rebuild with latest 0.28/Fixes source

Mike

Thank you. I have been looking for a reason to update and maybe this is the reason I need =)
I'm running the same millhouse series on RPi b+ here. The video playback code is always being tweeked and some of the corner cases (like switches in aspect ratio) aren't all handled 100% all the time. I'd guess if your backend got upset and stopped the data stream unexpectedly this might cause video player to apparently 'lock up' when the little pop-up appeared or disappeared.

If you're interested in seeing if this is fixed in the latest millhouse try playing with the OMX/MMAL acceleration settings and the internal / pvr.mythtv demux settings in pvr.mythtv config. If you do manage to find a repeatable scenario and get a debug log with the lock-up in it, someone on the millhouse thread would probably still be interested, even if the route cause was your backend suddenly stopping the data stream. It's more of a corner case but the big things seems to have been fixed!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi freeze on LiveTV conflict0