Linux 4.8 release finally include a HDMI-CEC framework in the mainline kernel
In some news indirectly related to Kodi, the Linux kernel have finally now in version 4.8 its own official HDMI-CEC framework which since merged into the mainline Linux 4.8 kernel that was just releaed:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ne...-Linux-4.8

As it is likley that many hardware manufactuers will adopt the use of this framework since it in mainline Linux kernel this might mean that Kodi could possible get better HDMI-CEC support in the future, or at least support for CEC on more hardware.

And if this HDMI-CEC framework is also later merged downstream into the Android kernel then it could possible mean better CEC support when using Kodi on Android OS as well.

Details on the framework in this PDF:

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/...wide_1.pdf

Full development changelog here:

https://lwn.net/Articles/685756/

Developers contributions here (with the main developers behind this new framework who worked on it for the past four years was Kamil Debski from Samsung & Hans Verkuil from Cisco):

http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kerne...00427.html
Hedda - I saw this as well - not being an expert in these things, however, I wasn't 100% clear on the implications.

This does away with the need for libcec, I presume. You still need hardware that supports CEC, either in-built (the Pi?) or via something like the Pulse8 CEC adapters - and the TV or other devices, of course - so it's just a simplification of the software and the fact it'll become more universal on most Linux distros and derivatives?
To confirm, the Pi has built in hardware support for CEC. All versions do, even the Pi zero.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Cool
(2016-10-08, 15:50)Prof Yaffle Wrote: You still need hardware that supports CEC, either in-built (the Pi?) or via something like the Pulse8 CEC adapters - and the TV or other devices, of course
Of course, you will always need hardware that supports CEC. This new HDMI-CEC framework just acts like an API to allows it to be easier to write 'device drivers' that can talk to all different type of CEC hardware.

(2016-10-08, 15:50)Prof Yaffle Wrote: so it's just a simplification of the software and the fact it'll become more universal on most Linux distros and derivatives?
Similar to LibCEC, this new HDMI-CEC framework for the Linux kernel is a framework that you can use to write 'device drivers' for individual (and unique) CEC hardware.

(2016-10-08, 15:50)Prof Yaffle Wrote: This does away with the need for libcec, I presume.
No I don't think the fact that this HDMI-CEC framework will integrated into future Linux kernels will do away with the need to use LibCEC in Kodi.

Best would probabably to add support for this new HDMI-CEC framework inside LibCEC as if it was just another CEC device, and that way get best of both.

Description from: http://libcec.pulse-eight.com "libCEC is an enabling platform for the CEC bus in HDMI, it allows developers to interact with other HDMI devices without having to worry about the communication overhead, handshaking, and the various ways of sending a message for each vendor"

If LibCEC supported this new HDMI-CEC framework as a CEC device then Kodi could control all devices it supports through LibCEC without changes.

LibCEC acts as a bridge that does a great job in translating/convering all CEC calls into a unformed standard that Kodi can always understand.

And Kodi still need to use LibCEC on all platforms that do not use such new Linux kernels, as it does on any non-Linux based operating-system.
I will try and test soon the kernel CEC framework with kodi 17.
it looks to me, you don't need libcec anymore. this framework exposes CEC as a remote control input device.
Hi everybody,
is there any news about integrating the Linux CEC Framework in Kodi?
It is in stable stage since the release of Linux kernel 4.10, if I'm not wrong.
The support of the framework could be directly on Kodi - or maybe you are waiting to know if LibCEC integrate the support in its code, are you?

Just to know whether this will be a very long development or if there could be good news in short time.
Hi all,

this is a really important and requested feature for the futureSmile, there's a plan to add the CEC Framework support in Kodi?

Could someone reply officially?
Really important? How so?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I think it is important because the framework allows to any generic hardware to have standard syscalls to userspace application.
With the new Linux kernels most of the future hardware, as well as the current ones, will be supported without adding custom support into libCEC or Kodi.

Adding the new CEC Framework support in Kodi or in libCEC would simplify the development process. We could not say "really" but I think this could be useful.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux 4.8 release finally include a HDMI-CEC framework in the mainline kernel0