v17 Hadware acceleration is disabled with PVR stream
Here: http://jenkins.kodi.tv/job/Android-ARM/10665/ building - testanother it's called, for the mpeg-2.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thank you I will test today.
Hello fritsch,

I have tested the build kodi-20170113-7181066-testanother-armeabi-v7a.apk this morning and can report the following :

* The HW decoder is being used for SD live TV streams as well
* However the picture is not correctly showing in 16:9 aspect ratio for these SD streams (HD streams have the correct aspect ratio).
* Also the de-interlacing is not working (visible comb artefacts on the picture). The codecinfo overlay states that deinterlacing is being done in hardware but that seems not to be the case.

Debug log here : http://paste.ubuntu.com/23803968/

Cheers
Mark
Then let's keep it disabled. This dump fixing won't solve the root cause anyways.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks I have reverted to a build which uses SW decode for SD streams. Am I right in saying that hardware de-interlacing on Fire TV is not expected to work?
HW deinterlacing only work when using Surface. And this does "internally" whatever it wants. For normal Mediacodec we can deinterlace via GLES in the render (BOB). For SW decoding I think there is even YADIF. YADIF half should perhaps work on the cpu.
Yes, for SW decoding there is YADIF (according to codecinfo) and the picture is cleanly de-intelaced and smoothly rendered. (On a quad core Fire TV, the CPU runs about 180-200%)
Yadif half should be less intrusive.
Yeah it is. CPU around 120% with that option. Still plenty of headroom with YADIF mind you - is that the higher quality option? (I didn't spend much time comparing the final picture with the different options)

(I guess on the dual core Fire Stick YADIF half would be a better option)

Cheers
Mark
One does not know: Surface does whatever the firmware likes. In fact I have met very few people that did not visually like yadif.
Sorry, I meant is YADIF better quality than YADIF half? (My Fire TV seems to manage either with plenty of headroom and I was wondering which one would offer the better picture.

Even though there is no deinterlacing on HW decoded HD streams you cannot see the comb artefacts from normal viewing distance on my screen. For this particular box in this room, SW decode on SD streams (with YADIF) and HW decode on HD streams (no deinterlace) is a pretty good all round experience when added to other WAF factors in play Smile

Thank you again for your continued support.

Cheers
Mark
Yadif is better than yadif half, yes. HW (surface) deinterlaces internally, the quality is not influenced by kodi.
Out of interest fritsch, what is your preferred hardware/OS combination for Kodi?
I code and run on linux.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hadware acceleration is disabled with PVR stream1