Solved How to make progress bar disappear when paused
With the built-in video player in Kodi 17 Krypton (Windows OS), whenever I press pause on my remote control (sends <SPACE>), a progress bar OSD overlay appears, and it does not go away automatically (I think I remember that it used to go away after a few seconds with the old player, but I could be wrong about that).

Is there any way for me to dismiss the progress bar OSD while the video remains paused? I have tried <ESC>, <I>, <M>, <BACKSPACE>, <ENTER> but none of those do the trick.

I just want to see a paused full-screen frame without any OSD overlay.
This should be a call in the skin you are using, either appeal to the author of the skin you are using for the magic, or get your coding hat on. In Krypton the skin used is Estuary and the skin forum is http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=260
Thanks for the pointer. I searched that forum and I see that people have been asking for something like this for months. Hopefully the skin developer will get to it soon.
No easy way...
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2409500
Lightbulb 
When I searched for this, I came upon this thread, but later found the solution here:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2618666

Just posting for anyone else wanting a quick solution. All credit of course goes to the people in the thread I linked. The file to edit is located in the kodi folder: kodi/addons/skin.estuary/xml/DialogSeekbar.xml.

I used this command to edit via ssh:
Code:
sudo nano /usr/local/share/kodi/addons/skin.estuary/xml/DialogSeekbar.xml
or if that file doesn't exist, try this file on newer Kodi (uppercase "B" in filename):
Code:
sudo nano /usr/local/share/kodi/addons/skin.estuary/xml/DialogSeekBar.xml

I changed this line:
Code:
<visible>Player.Seeking | Player.DisplayAfterSeek | [Player.Paused + !Player.Caching] | Player.Forwarding | Player.Rewinding | Player.ShowInfo | Window.IsActive(fullscreeninfo) | Window.IsActive(videoosd) | Window.IsActive(musicosd) | Window.IsActive(playerprocessinfo) | !IsEmpty(Player.SeekNumeric)</visible>

To:
Code:
<visible>Player.Seeking | [Player.Paused + !Player.Caching + !System.IdleTime(3)] | Player.Forwarding | Player.Rewinding | Player.ShowInfo | Window.IsActive(fullscreeninfo) | Window.IsActive(videoosd) | Window.IsActive(musicosd) | Window.IsActive(playerprocessinfo) | !IsEmpty(Player.SeekNumeric)</visible>

I removed "Player.DisplayAfterSeek" so the seekbar disappears immediately after resuming a video and I added "+ !System.IdleTime(3)" to hide the seekbar 3 seconds after pausing, leaving just the paused video on screen.

Reboot or restart Kodi for changes to take effect.

So much better imho. Now I can read subs when paused and see other details previously hidden while paused.
Thank you for the tip, Tanuki!
I have actually been looking for a 'fix' for this. Jarvis behaved better in this respect.
I really like to see the whole picture when i freeze it ;-)

Thanks for this tip!

\edit: tested and it works great. Thanks again!
Thread marked solved.
Thanks
this helped me to obtain what I wanted in the post "fast forward and timeline bar"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to make progress bar disappear when paused0