The Use of a VPN?
Hi Guys.

Firstly my apologies if this post is in the wrong place as ive sat here and looked everywhere for a thread that has some sort of relevance but couldnt find one.

My question is: Are you guys connecting to the Net with your Kodi devices via a VPN? Ive noticed aload of twitter posts and advertisments if you like on some Kdoi sites that are going on and on about using a VPN to connect. Personally ive never used one so i suppose most importantly my question to you guys is, should i be using a VPN and if so which one as they all claim to be the latest and greatest?

kind regards

Rich
You couldn't find it because VPN usualy means "pirated content" and that is banned here....
Kodi addons: Lanik repo
(2016-10-08, 14:46)mightycee79 Wrote: Hi Guys.

Firstly my apologies if this post is in the wrong place as ive sat here and looked everywhere for a thread that has some sort of relevance but couldnt find one.

My question is: Are you guys connecting to the Net with your Kodi devices via a VPN? Ive noticed aload of twitter posts and advertisments if you like on some Kodi sites that are going on and on about using a VPN to connect. Personally ive never used one so i suppose most importantly my question to you guys is, should i be using a VPN and if so which one as they all claim to be the latest and greatest?

kind regards

Rich

1. There is only one Kodi site and thats kodi.tv the other are either fake or very poor copies.
  2. VPNs are normally used to access Geo-blocked sites and are sometimes used to access Pirate videos but also for security purposes.
  3. You do NOT need a VPN to use kodi.
  4. Kodi media center (formerly known as XBMC) is used for media that you own.
  5. Kodi condemns the use of any addon that gives a user access to pirated material.
  6. A VPN or Virtual Private Network is a method used to add security and privacy to private and public networks, like WiFi Hotspots and the Internet. VPNs are most often used by corporations to protect sensitive data.

Hopefully this answers your question.
Yup, pretty much what they said. VPNs are useful to either shield your traffic from your ISP or else pretend that you're somewhere/someone else.

For legitimate use, Kodi does nothing that really requires either, although some people run "whole house" VPNs just because they like tinfoil hats.

If you want to pretend to be elsewhere to, say, get around region- or country-specific IP address limits (geoblocking) - e.g. to watch iPlayer outside the UK - then a VPN will do that. Similarly, some folks would advocate the same to, say, access a different country's Netflix catalogue (although I believe that this is breach of their terms of service, just as it may well be with iPlayer and most other geoblocked content).

If, however, you want to do it because you're streaming content from unauthorised sources, then I'm afraid you'll need to take the conversation elsewhere. See here.
I personally used VPN with kodi for securing my activity for safe streaming. If you're using VPN for Kodi for security purpose then it is right approach. If you want to unblock geo-blocked content so its a wrong approach.
Other than that you can find the removed from here as per speed test it is because VPN slows down your speed and then you may have buffering issues.
Please do not post such spammy links, or we might think you're a spammer and deal with you accordingly.

Consider this a friendly warning.

Thread moved to off-topic. See our VPN policy (wiki) for more details.
| Banned add-ons (wiki) | Forum rules (wiki) | VPN policy (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | FAQs (wiki) | Troubleshooting (wiki) | Add-ons (wiki) | Free content (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki) | Free Movies/TV Shows |
(2019-03-25, 16:47)graceinc Wrote: Other than that you can find
Remember my previous reply to you? One more advertisement like that and your Kodi forum subscription will be terminated indefinitely.

That time is now. Goodbye.
Got a Kodi problem? Provide us with a full Debug log (wiki) || Usefull pages: First time user (wiki) || Troubleshooting (wiki) || Free content (wiki) || Forum rules (wiki) || VPN policy (wiki)
Personally I don't use any VPN but last week I installed add-on for open VPN because my IPTV Client have problems and that's how I sorting out/checking problem with my ISP. VM have so many problems with internet in my area in last 2 months.
When i use VPN , My App is moving very slowly .
When I use VPN then my device works very slow then the normal routine and one more thing some sites automatically detect, when anyone opens the site with VPNs.
(2019-05-10, 22:17)akara123 Wrote: When i use VPN , My App is moving very slowly .
(2019-06-15, 12:23)lizanick Wrote: When I use VPN then my device works very slow

Usage of VPN servers may get you rerouted connections that go via countries far away. A big(ger) internet speed decrease is not uncommon.
Got a Kodi problem? Provide us with a full Debug log (wiki) || Usefull pages: First time user (wiki) || Troubleshooting (wiki) || Free content (wiki) || Forum rules (wiki) || VPN policy (wiki)
(2019-06-15, 14:07)Klojum Wrote: Usage of VPN servers may get you rerouted connections that go via countries far away.
You'd certainly hope so.
A Virtual Private Network is a connection method used to add security and privacy to private and public networks. i.g. Wi-Fi Hotspots and the internet. Most operating systems have integrated VPN support. 

In straightforward terms, a VPN connects your PC, smartphone, or tablet to another computer (called a server) somewhere on the internet, and allows you to browse the internet using that computer’s internet connection.

Followings are the use of VPN:

- Protect yourself from being logged while torrenting and snooping on untrustworthy Wi-Fi hotspots.
- Bypass geographic restrictions on websites or streaming audio and video.
- Gain at least some anonymity online by hiding your real location.
even if you look at sites like the best kodi themes of 2019 (all legal themes they recommend a vpn)
The VPN policy was linked above. It coontains all necessary info one might need to what is ok and what not. No need to promote the usage of a VPN as mostly, in regard of Kodi, the usage of a VPN is related to some, let's call it "grey zone area activity".

We also don't need an explanation what a VPN is and what it might be used for. Those topics are properly handled at the specific wikis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network for example) or at a bunch of How-tos all over the net.

All I ever read about anything "Best Kodi ..... (whatever)" (might it be themes, add-ons, builds) is mostly related to stuff we have on our banned list.

So tbh, we don't spend a single second to re-think the VPN policy we have as Kodi does NOT need a VPN to work properly and in the way it's meant for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The Use of a VPN?00