• 12(current)
Current Status: robwebset repository
(2016-10-23, 11:00)Bloksel Wrote: I am saying you are mistaken when you feel your mac address is stolen.
I have not said anything about "feeling that my mac address is stolen". I only mentioned theft as an example to try to illustrate to you how motive is irrelevant.

Anyway, there's obviously no way of correcting misunderstandings in this thread (or at all?) especially since it'll soon close.
@Bloksel, there are 2 issues here, first as said before there is a difference between a legally defined entity logging the information and clearly mentioning this in their privacy statement and thus can be held accountable for the way this information is being used, and between addon author sneaking this code into his addon. Many are saying that he didn't have the chance to explain, so I will repeat it again, go back to page 2 and you will see that he had about 8 hours to explain but instead he chose to post 2 times (one post mocking a team member, and the other trying to pass the argument "you didn't catch me the first time, so it should be ok the second time").

The second issue, even if all websites and apps are tracking user IP and MAC, should we create more? if all people started jumping off the roofs are you going to follow them? just because everybody does it? Privacy is not a small silly matter even if the big players are trying to make look so. moreover it is not accepted in KODI rules, so even if everybody does and you decided to do it, it is still a breach of rules.
@melhemk, I agree with you for the most part and I also feel that privacy is very important. But I still do not feel the same about the whole situation, because I do not agree with the 8 hours to explain part. How long was Rob maintaining this addon already? In most of his latest posts (It is impossible for me to read them all), I read a not so satisfying response from members of the Kodi team.

Could you maybe explain what the addon is exactly doing, besides recording my mac address?
(2016-10-23, 11:47)Bloksel Wrote: @melhemk, I agree with you for the most part and I also feel that privacy is very important. But I still do not feel the same about the whole situation, because I do not agree with the 8 hours to explain part. How long was Rob maintaining this addon already? In most of his latest posts (It is impossible for me to read them all), I read a not so satisfying response from members of the Kodi team.

Could you maybe explain what the addon is exactly doing, besides recording my mac address?

I haven't used his addon or looked at the code except the snippets posted here.

But regarding the 8 hours thing, had he say "I use it to keep statistics of users" or "oh it is not allowed, I will remove it, can you suggest another way of getting unique numbers" instead of his 2 empty posts, then things would've been different (I believe).
@ned, sorry, to be clear, that was what it looked like from our perspective. I was trying to say that in the post, but obviously failed. From our perspective, it looked like rob was egging you on, and that was just one example of how he was doing it. There was some post or other where instead of replying, he actually said, "Ned, aren't you going to say something" or something like that, and to us, at the time, it just looked like confirmation that he was egging you on. Whatever was happening in reality doesn't really matter when what I'm trying to do is explain our mindset as we watch events proceed. To us it looked like X. Reality might be more like Y, but if the question was what we thought we were saying, it was X.

Quote:Seriously, who on your team thought that you guys still had enough social credit to be able to ban Rob without having a detailed explanation ready to post? Whose word are we supposed to be taking here?

@Karnagious: I rarely do this, but... lol, wut? You seem to have forgotten that this is the Team's forum. You can call us whatever you want, North Korea, the USSR, some other totalitarian state, but we don't NEED social credit to ban anyone. We can ban whenever and whoever we want for any reason we deem appropriate. This is a private forum. We try to be reasonable and follow the rules we created so that people can know when they might be crossing a line, but we can change or even ignore those rules at frankly any time we want, so long as the team generally agrees to it.

I think people sometimes forget this. Maybe it should be spelled out a bit more clearly somewhere.
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Current Status: robwebset repository2