Double artists name when scan a music directory
In the music when I "Scan Item to Library" for the path below I find it two time in the artist name reference.
On the filesystem I have the directory "/contents/Musica/Compilations" with the "extrafanart" directory and the file "artist.nfo":

<artist>
<name>Compilations</name>
<genre>....

On the directory "/contents/Musica/Compilations/Il padrone della festa" there are the MP3 files and "album.nfo" file:

<album>
<musicBrainzReleaseGroupID>3b8a94a0-3bbd-4cfc-b1ca-762c2504c2bd</musicBrainzReleaseGroupID>
<musicBrainzAlbumID>08cb3397-e866-4e26-a126-f502de8097b7</musicBrainzAlbumID>
<title>Il padrone della festa</title>
<artist>Fabi Silvestri Gazzè</artist>
<genre>....

The file MP3 have this tag:

but after "Scan Item to Library" on directory "/contents/Musica/Compilations":

on the "Music Artits" I find double "Compilations" name.
First one object have nfo info, fanart and folder image:

The second one have only directory name:

Is there a reason for strange behaviur?
Can I remove the "Artist Music" without nfo info, fanart and folder entry?
Kodi v20 Nexus with Aeon MQ 9 Multi-Mod
OS: Linux Debian 12 bookworm on Apple Mac Mini Late 2018
TV: Samsung UE40C6510UP
Moved to Music Support as this is not a skins issue but a music library and tagging one.
Which version of Kodi are you using please?

I don't speak Italian, and I am not familiar with Aeon MQ, so I may be mistaken on details, but I believe that the double entry is, in part at least, caused by mixed tagging.

The NFO file implies that you have tagged your music files with Musicbrainz id tags, probably using Picard but could be with some other tagging software. It is important that the Musicbrainz artist id and Musicbrainz album artist id match the names in the artist and album artist tags. The Musicbrainz site gives tracks from album "Il padrone della festa" the following artist data:

ARTIST = Fabi Silvestri Gazzè
ARTISTS = Fabi / Silvestri / Gazzè
MUSICBRAINZ ARTIST ID = 3324a229-57aa-4ce9-95f9-846ba5f0bea5; 9459a09b-2ff6-4389-b656-bb54cfe31962; 49111855-2c7c-4142-8537-eed2362cf052

Similar for ALBUMARTIST tags.

Yet you show the artist and album artist tags to be "Compilations", and Musicbrainz id tags are not shown, so I do not know if you have edited them or removed them. Either way this will cause confusion in Kodi when scanning the file.

I also wonder if you have any other music from any of the individual artists - Fabi, Silvestri or Gazzè? If you do that that could also contribute to the behaviour.

Provide more information about your tagging please.
I'm using Kodi 16.1. I'll try to remove "musicBrainzReleaseGroupID" and "musicBrainzAlbumID" from album.nfo file.
Also I'll try with others albums.
No, I haven't other music from individual artists Fabi, Silvestri or Gazzè...for the moment Big Grin
I changed the MP3 artist and artist album tag with software "MP3TAG".
I'll let you know, thank you.
I don't think the presence of "musicBrainzReleaseGroupID" and "musicBrainzAlbumID" in the NFO make a difference, but to me they indicate that you have these tags in your music files.

I must emphasise the need to either tag the music files for an album with Musicbrainz ids completely and consistently (with ids for album, track and artists), or not to have them there. Some missing, or a mis-match between number of artist id and number of names, will cause problems. Krypton will be more robust in this area, but consistent tagging is best.

Using Mp3tag please provide a full list of tags for an example track by using Alt+T to view extened tags and posting a screen shot of that dialog (resizing to show as much as possible).
great!!! Tongue
Below the full tags:

OK. I found my solution about it.
My default directory for Varius Artits on the MediaCenter is "/contents/Musica/Artisti Vari" (the path "\\192.168.1.99\contents\Musica\Artisti Vari" is my windows client for manage the library/files).
On the dir the file name "artist.nfo" contains the tag name "Compilations".....bla bla bla for others tags name.
On the album directory, in my case "Il Padrone Della Festa", in the file name "album.nfo" I removed lines with "musicBrainzReleaseGroupID" and "musicBrainzAlbumID".
Now it's work correctly with information about artists, album, folder, extrafanart ecc.

Thank you
Wink
Dave can correct my mistakes, but I think it goes like this:

First, the tag scanner reads all the files in a folder and attempts create new "song" entries with all the tag info, adding new artists and albums if needed.

Second, if the scanner has found a new album it will look for album.nfo in the same folder or if not found use the assigned album scraper to try to find additional info about the album. (Not sure if this can change the previously scanned "album artists" assigned to the album? maybe only if "prefer online info is set".)

Third, if the scanner has found a new album artist it will look in the parent folder for artist.nfo (for just the first album artist if more than one) and again if not found use the assigned artist scraper to try to find additional info about the album artist.

If you turn on debug logging during the scan, you can see this in the log.

Note that "extrafanart" is not a feature provided by Kodi, it needs skin and add-on support. The typical case is that an add-on or you manually create an "extrafanart" folder in a location from where the skin will attempt to load images.

When "various artists" (or your local language translation) is set as the album artist, it causes special processing of the song as belonging to a "compilation".

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Double artists name when scan a music directory0