• 49(current)
Intel Kaby Lake Hardware
(2017-06-29, 10:56)sanity Wrote: hdr working fine here on kaby lake with powerdvd 17. my tv reports hdr when starting playback. also powerdvd does same
Intel graphics? What driver version?

(2017-06-29, 11:25)fmedrano1977 Wrote: HDR does indeed work with PowerDVD 17 using the latest drivers but there is no toggle. While I don't get the toggle on my NUC using the Intel graphics, I do get it on my desktop using a GTX 1060 video card.
The NUC with Intel graphics (driver 4678?) and PowerDVD 17 has working HDR?
Intel NUC6CAYH + afedchin's Kodi Windows MVC + LG OLED 55E6
(2017-06-29, 11:25)fmedrano1977 Wrote: HDR does indeed work with PowerDVD 17 using the latest drivers but there is no toggle. While I don't get the toggle on my NUC using the Intel graphics, I do get it on my desktop using a GTX 1060 video card.
The NUC with Intel graphics (driver 4678?) and PowerDVD 17 has working HDR?
[/quote]
Correct.

Sent from my HTC 10
(2017-06-29, 11:25)fmedrano1977 Wrote: ....While I don't get the toggle on my NUC using the Intel graphics, I do get it on my desktop using a GTX 1060 video card....

We just have to wait for an "exclusive" Kaby Lake Intel driver.

(2017-06-29, 10:54)Korrigan Wrote: ...Do you see the Windows HDR toggle?
I'm on NUC6CAYH Apollo Lake but it has HDMI 2.0 and HEVC 10-bit decoding and LSPCon supports HDR so I don't understand why HDR wouldn't work on that....

NUC6CAYH & HDR
(2017-06-29, 13:54)Diodato Wrote:
(2017-06-29, 10:54)Korrigan Wrote: ...Do you see the Windows HDR toggle?
I'm on NUC6CAYH Apollo Lake but it has HDMI 2.0 and HEVC 10-bit decoding and LSPCon supports HDR so I don't understand why HDR wouldn't work on that....

NUC6CAYH & HDR
Yeah that Intel thread is actually mine Wink
thats well annoying,
main reason I bought cheaper apollo lake rather then kaby was it would support HDR.
Sad
Ok so i have kind of cruised this thread to get the jist of things so to confirm:

1) The NUC7 (in my case NUC7i3) will NOT currently do HDR in Kodi, PowerDVD Ultra is required.
2) It WILL do ATMOS passthrough in Kodi but not HDR.
3) It will NOT passthrough ATMOS in Linux at this time. (HDR in linuxHuh?)
4) NUC6i5 is HDMI1.4 and therefore cant do Atmos + HDR + 4k.
5) HDR in Kodi should work once (Intel or Windows?) releases an update?

My situation is I have an Nvidia Shield TV and it works pretty ok with my marantz SR7011 and my LGC6 OLED however its not consistent. I have constant issues forexample skipping tracks on a bluray iso results in losing atmos and sound all together (even though it was working perfectly prior).

I thought maybe I would try a spare NUC7 i have to maybe use exclusively for Kodi for HDR+ATMOS at 4k but looks like this is a waste of time a the moment i guess?

thanks much
(2017-07-01, 19:39)Nekromantik Wrote: main reason I bought cheaper apollo lake rather then kaby was it would support HDR.
There was no indication that it would not. Give them feedback in the Intel support thread.
(2017-07-01, 21:23)bandroidx Wrote: 5) HDR in Kodi should work once (Intel or Windows?) releases an update?
This requires a Kodi update.
(2017-07-01, 21:23)bandroidx Wrote: Ok so i have kind of cruised this thread to get the jist of things so to confirm:

1) The NUC7 (in my case NUC7i3) will NOT currently do HDR in Kodi, PowerDVD Ultra is required.

My situation is I have an Nvidia Shield TV and it works pretty ok with my marantz SR7011 and my LGC6 OLED however its not consistent. I have constant issues forexample skipping tracks on a bluray iso results in losing atmos and sound all together (even though it was working perfectly prior).

I thought maybe I would try a spare NUC7 i have to maybe use exclusively for Kodi for HDR+ATMOS at 4k but looks like this is a waste of time a the moment i guess?

thanks much

I wouldn't bother. I returned my Kaby Lake Beebox to Amazon (with documentation to show all defects.) It's not worth the hassle. It's crap right now. And we've waited months and months for Intel to do something. They didn't even have a 3D TV. There's something else that doesn't work - 3D in either HDMI 1.4 or 2.0 (Beebox has both that's why I bought it.) No matter if you use Kodi or PowerDVD. I didn't actually try that special Kodi MVC build to be honest, I spent about 10 hours researching how to make it do its functions that I bought it for - it's currently performing about at the level of a PS4 (not a PS4 Pro.)
Regarding 192/24 audio limitations on the Kaby Lake please see https://communities.intel.com/thread/115625
Does anyone here confirm or refute ?
I am stalling the purchase of a NUC because of this and other annoyances I am reading about...
(2017-07-03, 09:45)demasiado Wrote: Regarding 192/24 audio limitations on the Kaby Lake please see https://communities.intel.com/thread/115625.
What a really sorry stated of affairs with the info I have just read in that link. It looks like (illegal) bait and switch advertising on Intel's part.

Quote:This is definitely not "by design". The appropriate technical term for promising something a system doesn't do (and then, after some time, just downgrading the specs) is "rip off".

I'm starting to think maybe I should put a BIG Fat Red Warning. AML S912 style. In the START HERE thread to tell people to avoid the current generation of clusterfcuked DP > HDMI 2.0 - Intel - Sky / Apollo / Kaby Lake NUC's if they are demanding LibreELEC HD Audio / HDR / Hi-Res Audio users. ?

Please advise Intel guys ?

(2017-07-03, 09:45)demasiado Wrote: Regarding 192/24 audio limitations on the Kaby Lake please see https://communities.intel.com/thread/115625.
I am stalling the purchase of a NUC because of this and other annoyances I am reading about...

A rogue full-stop/period was added to the end of the URL. Correct link is here https://communities.intel.com/thread/115625

So if I understand that correctly the NUC6 Sky Lake cant do 192/24 via HDMI. However the Kaby Lake maybe can?

I would assume this doesnt effect passthrough for dolby, etc?
(2017-07-02, 15:00)twinpeaks Wrote:
(2017-07-01, 21:23)bandroidx Wrote: Ok so i have kind of cruised this thread to get the jist of things so to confirm:

thanks much

I wouldn't bother. I returned my Kaby Lake Beebox to Amazon (with documentation to show all defects.) It's not worth the hassle. It's crap right now. And we've waited months and months for Intel to do something. They didn't even have a 3D TV. There's something else that doesn't work - 3D in either HDMI 1.4 or 2.0 (Beebox has both that's why I bought it.) No matter if you use Kodi or PowerDVD. I didn't actually try that special Kodi MVC build to be honest, I spent about 10 hours researching how to make it do its functions that I bought it for - it's currently performing about at the level of a PS4 (not a PS4 Pro.)

Man I never thought it would be so difficult to properly play back media content in 2017 since I was doing it 20 years ago with Windows media center. So what is the alternative? I have an actual PC with a 1080ti sitting next to my tv, should I try just doing it all via that instead?
Ironically the cheapest trashiest HDMI 2.0 - 4K AMLogic S905(x) Android hardware on the market gets turned from the Ugly stepsister into Cinderella if all you want is (non HDR) 4K LibreELEC Kodi Krypton with all the - working - audio and video Bells and Whistles to go with it. inc. Multichannel 24bit/192kHz PCM Audio. Oh I forgot to mention working HDMI-CEC...

Even LibreELEC 4K HDR looks promising during initial testing. Wink

(2017-07-03, 11:35)bandroidx Wrote: So if I understand that correctly the NUC6 Sky Lake cant do 192/24 via HDMI. However the Kaby Lake maybe can?

I would assume this doesnt effect passthrough for dolby, etc?

From the linked article above...

Quote:And what about the latest NUCs?
Oh well, you won't find a "change of specifications" history in their TPS (yet), and they all promise "192kHz/24bit" exactly as last year Skylake NUCs did... but I wonder why I should ever trust Intel again on such promises: maybe by August 2017 those specs will also be "downgraded" to "192kHz/16bit", huh? Or something else that worked fine on previous NUCs won't work any longer...

So do you trust Intel from this point going forwards, that is the real question ?

I have have Beebox-S 7100 and can confirm it won't work with 24 bit, only 16 and 32 bits are available.

Code:
HW Params of device "hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=0":
--------------------
ACCESS:  MMAP_INTERLEAVED RW_INTERLEAVED
FORMAT:  S16_LE S32_LE
SUBFORMAT:  STD
SAMPLE_BITS: [16 32]
FRAME_BITS: [32 256]
CHANNELS: [2 8]
RATE: [32000 192000]
PERIOD_TIME: (20 256000]
PERIOD_SIZE: [4 8192]