• 54(current)
Intel Kaby Lake Hardware
(2017-07-20, 12:16)orby Wrote:
(2017-07-19, 22:26)nickr Wrote:
(2017-07-19, 14:51)orby Wrote: kodi crashing immediately on playback, powerdvd fine, no HDR toggle

And yet you post no log or other useful information.

funny didn't know a kodi log would help me toggle HDR in windows 10, i will post one next time though
You said "kodi crashing immediately on playback" - so if you want that diagnosed a log is required.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-07-20, 20:12)DG77 Wrote: I'm not quite sure how to do that?
I'm running Win10pro and never saw such a setting in Kodi.

On linux Kodi does it automaticly, i've never used Kodi on Windows. If you press "o" from keyboard while playing video, what Audio process information/Decoder shows for bits?
Hi just recently got a NUC7i3BNH and I'm just wondering what are the best Video Settings in Kodi for it. I'm coming from the Madvr/Dsplayer set up. So I'm a bit out of the loop. Any help would be great.

Thanks
I got the Club 3D USB Type C 3.1 TO HDMI 2.0a converter, but i still don't have DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD, i changed the Kodi settings accordingly to the right output (I have sound DTS Dolby Digital etc) but not HD Pass Through...

I'm using the latest LibreELEC Build, and the HDMI is going through my Receiver Marantz 5007 ...

Please help ....
(2017-07-20, 10:36)DG77 Wrote:
(2017-07-16, 15:05)P.Kosunen Wrote:
(2017-07-16, 10:10)wrxtasy Wrote: So for Multichannel PCM - are the Apollo and Kaby Lake NUC's having any issues with that combo ?

AFAIK Should not be issue, but Kaby Lake won't take 24 bit, have to put @ 32 bit.

(2017-07-16, 09:46)wesk05 Wrote: I think I remember @fritsch saying something about zero padding. While that doesn't alter anything, I am not sure whether that can be considered to be "bit exact".

Zero padding is lossless operation and can be reversed.

Hi guys, just so you know there are issues with high resolution audio on the NUC's that aren't mentioned on the Kodi forums.
Perhaps not directly related to Kodi but probably affecting it most likely.
16bit/192KHz max output via HDMI
Thanks for the link, so does this audio issue affect JUST the NUCs at this point, or the Kaby Lake in general?
Still in the market to replace my aging htpc, looking at the kaby lake solutions available, and have hd-audio/high bitrate media via attached storage, every time I seem to be close to pulling the trigger I read another post hahaha
(2017-07-29, 15:43)Temujin Wrote: Thanks for the link, so does this audio issue affect JUST the NUCs at this point, or the Kaby Lake in general?
AFAIK It only affect Windows, linux can do 32 bit @ 192 kHz so it can be fixed with driver update. ASIO or WASAPI might also be able to output higher formats than direct sound?

At least Asrock Beebox-S is basically NUC in different case, some others might be also affected.
Hi everyone,
I recently picked up an Intel NUC Kit NUC7i5BNK which has has the i5-7260U Processor and have been playing with it for a few days. It is connected to a UDH TV via an Onkyo amp which supports HDMI 2.0a & HDCP 2.2 and using a Grub2 bootloader I have installed Windows 10 Pro x64, LibreELEC (Krypton) v8.0.2 MR and the latest Milhouse LibreELEC build from here: http://milhouse.libreelec.tv/builds/master/Generic/).

Config is as follows:
Hard disk: Samsung MZVPV128HDGM M.2 NVME
Ram: Crucial 16GB DDR4 2133Mhz
Bios: v49
Windows GPU Driver: v15.46.2.4729
HDMI Patch: v1.66 patch

Here are my findings.

Windows 10
Has a very annoying issue at UHD where the screen flickers black for a second when navigating through different explorer windows.
The problem was present pre and post HDMI patch v1.66
I have tried different HiSpeed HDMI cables without success but if the resolution is set to 1920x1080 in Windows then the problem doesn't happen.
Almost as if the driver is crashing and recovering but nothing in event viewer points to any issues.

LibreELEC (Krypton) v8.0.2 MR
Resolution: 3840X2160P
Audio Output Device: ALSA: HDA INTEL PCH, ONK TX-NR646 ON DISPLAYPORT #0
Passthrough Output Device: ALSA: HDA INTEL PCH, ONK TX-NR646 ON DISPLAYPORT #0

H.264 (720p) - FF-H264-VAAPI HW
H.264 (1080p) - FF-H264-VAAPI HW
H.265 (720p) - FF-HEVC-VAAPI HW
H.265 (1080p) - FF-HEVC-VAAPI HW
H.265 (UHD) - FF-HEVC SW

AAC 5.1 - Working
Dolby Digital 5.1 bitstreaming - Working
Dolby TrueHD & Atmos bitstreaming - Not Working
DTS 5.1 bitstreaming - Working
DTS Master Audio & X bitstreaming - Not Working

LibreELEC (Milhouse)
Resolution: 3840X2160P
Audio Output Device: ALSA: HDA INTEL PCH, ONK TX-NR646 ON DISPLAYPORT #0
Passthrough Output Device: ALSA: HDA INTEL PCH, ONK TX-NR646 ON DISPLAYPORT #0

H.264 (720p) - FF-H264-VAAPI HW
H.264 (1080p) - FF-H264-VAAPI HW
H.265 (720p) - FF-HEVC-VAAPI HW
H.265 (1080p) - FF-HEVC-VAAPI HW
H.265 (UHD) - FF-HEVC-VAAPI HW

The following HEVC profiles were tested:
Main 10@L5@Main
Main 10@L5@High
Main [email protected]@high
Main [email protected]@high
Main [email protected]@High-BT.2020

All formats played back with hardware acceleration though one point of note was that the BT.2020 file did not trigger any form of HDR.

AAC 5.1 - Working
Dolby Digital 5.1 bitstreaming - Working
Dolby TrueHD & Atmos bitstreaming - Not Working
DTS 5.1 bitstreaming - Working
DTS Master Audio & X bitstreaming - Not Working

Maybe this is of use to someone.
(2017-08-03, 15:02)GrimGriefer Wrote: Hi everyone,
I recently picked up an Intel NUC Kit NUC7i5BNK which has has the i5-7260U Processor and have been playing with it for a few days. It is connected to a UDH TV via an Onkyo amp which supports HDMI 2.0a & HDCP 2.2 and using a Grub2 bootloader I have installed Windows 10 Pro x64, LibreELEC (Krypton) v8.0.2 MR and the latest Milhouse LibreELEC build from here: http://milhouse.libreelec.tv/builds/master/Generic/).

Config is as follows:
Hard disk: Samsung MZVPV128HDGM M.2 NVME
Ram: Crucial 16GB DDR4 2133Mhz
Bios: v49
Windows GPU Driver: v15.46.2.4729
HDMI Patch: v1.66 patch

Here are my findings. <snip>

your results are consistent with the current state of things for KBL.

On the Windows side, everything should be functional from the HW/OS/drivers, but Kodi doesn't yet support passing HDR metadata.

On the Linux side, Intel has yet to fix the issues with HD audio passthough and the Megachips LSPCON, so we're stuck until they do. LE 8.0.x / Kodi 17.3 doesn't support HEVC-10, but the upcoming LE 8.2 / Kodi 17.4 will (and many Kodi 18.x test builds already do). HDR is not yet supported.
(2017-08-03, 15:02)GrimGriefer Wrote: Main [email protected]@High-BT.2020
All formats played back with hardware acceleration though one point of note was that the BT.2020 file did not trigger any form of HDR.

Does the file contain HDR content? BT.2020 doesn't = HDR. You can carry SDR content with BT.2020 - in fact I think BT.2020 on its own IS SDR. (BT.2020 defines RGB primaries, resolution, frame rates and an SDR transfer function. Effectively it was the BT.709/BT.601 equivalent for UHD content pre-HDR?)

it's BT.2100 that effectively takes the BT.2020 standard and effectively changes it to add both PQ and HLG HDR transfer functions, instead of the SDR transfer function defined in BT.2020. (The transfer function is what dictates the dynamic range - it's how the source content is mapped to the 8/10/12+ bit quantisation range)
Any sign of an affordable ITX or micro-ATX motherboard with HDMI2.0a or better arriving for Kaby Lake?

Some dirty cheap CPUs available, low power, but no budget mobo for 4K HDR. The first to market will clean up, strange lack of coverage.
Just a quick note to say I recently purchased an Asus Vivomini V66 with Kaby Lake generation 7 I5 processor, Intel 630 GPU and Windows 10. I know it's a more expensive route than building your own (which I've done in the past), but I just didn't feel like it this time. At any rate, I'm very happy with the unit, the video quality is excellent, a marked improvement over my old AMD HTPC with an HD6450 GPU.

I wanted to stick with Windows so that I can continue to use MadVR with Kodi DSPlayer, which has transitioned very smoothly.
A quick question guys, i have just purchased a intel nuc7i5bnh and found out about the HD audio debacle, disappointing. so am i correct in thinking a USB C to HDMI adapter/cable would be a workaround for this, as the video and audio would then not be going through LSPCon right?.

Just to be clear, im thinking about getting this:-
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B06XS7T...UTF8&psc=1

and if it does get around the HD audio limitation then are there any nasty side effects of using this over the standard HDMI port?.

edit - sorry just to be clear im going to be running LibreELEC on this box, i know Windows can do HD audio on this device but i really don't want the hassle/overhead of Windows
(2017-08-15, 16:45)binhex01 Wrote: A quick question guys, i have just purchased a intel nuc7i5bnh and found out about the HD audio debacle, disappointing. so am i correct in thinking a USB C to HDMI adapter/cable would be a workaround for this, as the video and audio would then not be going through LSPCon right?.

and if it does get around the HD audio limitation then are there any nasty side effects of using this over the standard HDMI port?.

edit - sorry just to be clear im going to be running LibreELEC on this box, i know Windows can do HD audio on this device but i really don't want the hassle/overhead of Windows
No that will not get around the issue. As the adapter is just an external LSPCon instead of using the internal one.
(2017-08-15, 18:26)Ach!lles Wrote:
(2017-08-15, 16:45)binhex01 Wrote: A quick question guys, i have just purchased a intel nuc7i5bnh and found out about the HD audio debacle, disappointing. so am i correct in thinking a USB C to HDMI adapter/cable would be a workaround for this, as the video and audio would then not be going through LSPCon right?.

No that will not get around the issue. As the adapter is just an external LSPCon instead of using the internal one.

OK, well thanks for the reply, if i wasn't too bothered about HD audio could i simply get kodi to transcode the audio and at the very least be able to get sound for movies with HD audio (all be it not HD audio, as in SD DTS/Dolby) or is this just not possible at all?.
(2017-08-15, 18:34)binhex01 Wrote: OK, well thanks for the reply, if i wasn't too bothered about HD audio could i simply get kodi to transcode the audio and at the very least be able to get sound for movies with HD audio (all be it not HD audio, as in SD DTS/Dolby) or is this just not possible at all?.

you can still have HD audio, you just can't bitstream HD audio. Kodi can decode the HD audio stream and pass 8-ch PCM to your AVR. Not sure if Atmos/DTS-X are supported, but THD/DTS HD-MA are
  • 54(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Kaby Lake Hardware3