• 72(current)
Intel Kaby Lake Hardware
Thanx for answer, maybe I will give Minix another chance :-) I owned U1 quite a long time ago when it was just released to market. Maybe that's why it was not polished yet.
I just realized that Shield has no IR receiver, only pro version. So it's out of the game, I really want to use my Logitech Harmony remote.
(2018-05-10, 00:55)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-05-09, 23:03)jarosujo Wrote:
(2018-05-09, 22:55)jarosujo Wrote:  

Well, I had Minix U1 some time ago and playback using Kodi was just not good, some small problems (stuttering and audio out of sync) quite often. 
You already had great quality, h.265 decode with HD audio passthrough perfectly capable hardware. All it needed was an optimized OS and A Kodi bug busted hardware specific software release. That being LibreELEC Kodi Krypton.
Take a look at this thread:

MINIX NEO U1: What is the way forward ? (Click)

And then there is the Twitch Kodi Addon:
https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:TwitchTV

No idea what "FB streams" are.

You needs are basic, you do not need expensive hardware just for 1080p H265 with auto everything and HD audio passthrough. Many people are already using cheap AMLogic S9xx boxes running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton to already do such tasks.

Life get even better and more responvive when you use a wireless remote. 
Tho' Amlogic Boxes with LE do really worth their price, but I'we read that they do not output videos on 10bit, only on 8bit.  And that's something I would be really interested in due the sightful reduction of color banding as the benefit of 10bit videos/TV's.  I've only seen some comparison samples on the net, and never "in live", but according to these, that's really the thing i wouldn't miss after I would buy a 10bit panel TV. Seems even a bit more essentially PQ enhancing than the HDR or the UHD.
The AMLogic S912's have a proper 10bit output tunnel, using 4:4:4 10bit for 4K HDR with LibreELEC Kodi Krypton.
There are certainly 10bit user selectable options in Android display settings as well.

The S905X series does 10bit > 8bit dithering. No idea how good it is as I do not use a S905X for Android.

(2018-05-06, 21:34)billbillw Wrote: Guys,
I can't figure out what I need to do to get my NUC7i3BNH to passthrough DTS-HD MA and TrueHD/ATMOS using LibreElec. (I don't have any DTS-HRA)
I've tried the latest Official Release (8.2.5) and I've tried a few different Milhouse 9.0 releases, including the latest (#0505). I've read through some of this thread, but I'm trying to avoid reading all 70 pages. 

Are there any LibreElec releases that will allow the NUC7i3 to passthrough/bitstream the lossless audio tracks? I am not seeking 4K, 3D, or HDR playback. I don't have any HDMI2.0 displays. I mostly only playback 1080p bluray rips (or lower resolution) from my collection and I wanted more powerful hardware to handle H265 encoded material that I've started using. I don't use "sync display", but I like to use "Adjust display refresh rate" on Start/Stop. I've had this working before on lesser hardware (Haswell Chromebox and AMD G-T48E based thin client) so I know how the settings should be set.
EDIT: I am using a Yamaha A3010 receiver (NOT HDMI 2.0), not sure if that matters.

If the only way to do it is through Windows Kodi, I will do that, but I'd prefer to keep it with LibreElec only for speed/reliability.
So, it took me longer than expected, but I was able to get a full Windows 10 install running, and tried Kodi (I used a 'snapshot' nightly from April). Everything works, DTS-HD Master, Dolby TrueHD/ATMOS, and it works with display refresh rate changing to match source as well. I guess I will have to run Windows to get what I want for now. Hopefully with a few kernel/driver improvements, LibreELEC will work again. I much prefer LibreELEC. 

Note: I did update the HDMI Firmware to version 1.66 for the NUC7i3BNH, and also, you can update the firmware even if only connected to an HDMI 1.4 display. You just have to make sure the Intel display drivers and chipset drivers are installed before trying to update.
(2018-05-14, 11:05)wrxtasy Wrote: The AMLogic S912's have a proper 10bit output tunnel, using 4:4:4 10bit for 4K HDR with LibreELEC Kodi Krypton.
There are certainly 10bit user selectable options in Android display settings as well.

The S905X series does 10bit > 8bit dithering. No idea how good it is as I do not use a S905X for Android.
On another big forum big Thread dedicated to the Amlogic Boxes with LE the common supposition is that LE still isn't as great and advanced in overall on S912 than on the S905X Boxes. I guess because the main line of development of LE was begun on and stuck for a long time with S905X, and the S912 line just stayed some kind of secondary "side-branch". I've read some complains about playback an PQ problems with some types of videos, occasional stuttering and slow GUI + playback menu issues with S912 + LE. All the comments I've read suggests that LE on the S905X still gives an overall more predictable, probed and bug-free user experience. Tho' it's also emphasized that the LE on S912 still isn't that unusably bad or unacceptable with some compromises. But if I had to choose now, I would definitely go on the "safe road" and rather choose the S905X. Have you ever experienced some these mentioned issues?
Just read this post: ATV 4K vs MINIX U9 (click)

I use a LE Krypton S912 (U9) day to day, there are no major problems that you describe with it these days. It's a fast snappy device.

Enough off topic stuff in an Intel thread.

So, I am getting sick of Windows Kodi. Perhaps it is the 'snapshot' version that I'm using, but it is always crashing back to Windows desktop. It happens every time I stop a movie. 

I will try to load an official Kodi and see if everything still works and if there is greater stability. Performance wise, there are no issues other than longer boot times (vs LibreELEC). 

Overall, I'd rather have LibreELEC running, so if anyone has any ideas on a specific Milhouse build to try, I'm game. I tried some of his latest (0505) and it would not passthrough DTSHDMA or TrueHD. It did not matter if I had "adjust display refresh" rate enabled or not.
(2018-05-22, 21:43)billbillw Wrote: So, I am getting sick of Windows Kodi.
Perhaps we need to reiterate that Kodi is currently in Alpha stage, so things can (and will) break or otherwise malfunction. Sometimes it's 1 step forward and 3 steps back. That's what happens in software development, there isn't always a hurray mood.

The same goes for the current Milhouse builds, they also have Kodi Alpha. Although Linux and Windows are totally different animals. (I personally also get sick of Windows 10, but it's not 100% Kodi related. Wrong hardware drivers installed by Windows that prevent updates coming through are currently blowing my mind)
(2018-05-22, 21:52)Klojum Wrote:
(2018-05-22, 21:43)billbillw Wrote: So, I am getting sick of Windows Kodi.
Perhaps we need to reiterate that Kodi is currently in Alpha stage, so things can (and will) break or otherwise malfunction. Sometimes it's 1 step forward and 3 steps back. That's what happens in software development, there isn't always a hurray mood.

The same goes for the current Milhouse builds, they also have Kodi Alpha. Although Linux and Windows are totally different animals. (I personally also get sick of Windows 10, but it's not 100% Kodi related. Wrong hardware drivers installed by Windows that prevent updates coming through are currently blowing my mind)  
Over this past weekend, I reloaded Windows 10 on a different drive, installed NUC Drivers, and I tried the official Kodi (17.6) 32-bit for Windows install. Turns out, everything works fine with Kaby Lake and the official Windows Kodi. It is speedy and pass-through of DTS-HD MA/TrueHD and refresh rate switching all work correctly.

Now, there is an issue with the TVDB scraper, but that is not Kodi's fault from what I've read.
Good to hear that Kodi can behave when it should. And yes, the scrapers seem to be a bit stubborn these days.
DONT BUY INTEL CANYON HADES ( NUC8i7HVK)

Tested and 4K HDR is not working on that device either with CyberLink PDVD18 and DVDFab 5 player HDR metadata doesn't get trigger, Intel is using an AMD GFX on the Canyon Hades and that prevent HDR to work.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
all really all Audio runs fine with the latest Milehouse Builds and a patched / fw updated Kaby Nuc. But HDR, no go.
(2018-06-14, 00:30)Krautmaster Wrote: all really all Audio runs fine with the latest Milehouse Builds and a patched / fw updated Kaby Nuc. But HDR, no go.
 Apparently not with Yamaha receivers (me). I haven't had luck with the Milhouse LibreELEC (as of early May) in getting TrueHD or DTS-HD Master to bitstream with my setup. (NUC7i3BN, LSPCon updated to 1.66)

NUC>HDMI>A3010>Epson Projector.

I gave up with LibreELEC and went to a Windows 10 install and the latest official Kodi release for Windows. That works fine with all formats and refresh rates (at least up to 1080p that I use, no 4K in my near future).
(2018-05-29, 19:29)movie78 Wrote: DONT BUY INTEL CANYON HADES (NUC8i7HVK)

Tested and 4K HDR is not working on that device either with CyberLink PDVD18 and DVDFab 5 player HDR metadata doesn't get trigger, Intel is using an AMD GFX on the Canyon Hades and that prevent HDR to work.
 What's the source of this information?
(2018-06-15, 07:32)Mount81 Wrote:
(2018-05-29, 19:29)movie78 Wrote: DONT BUY INTEL CANYON HADES (NUC8i7HVK)

What's the source of this information? 
 Bought to used and find out the hard way, luckly i was able to return and build my own mini itx.

More information here.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
  • 72(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Kaby Lake Hardware3