How to name folders for AC/DC or R.E.M. correctly?
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I wasn’t able to find something about my topic:
My question is, how do I name in my music library the artist folder for artists with a name not supported by the underlying file system?
After having tried almost everything I am now lost Sad
You and I know that it is important to name the folder exactly as the artist name in order to get the correct fanart etc. displayed. For AC/DC, this fails obviously, as slashes are not allowed in folder names. For R.E.M., this fails either, since e.g. Windows and all Windows-based things like SMB etc. do not allow a folder name to end with a dot for a reason only Bill Gates may know.

Any suggestions? I cannot be the only one with R.E.M. and AC/DC in his music archive?!

Thanks in advance!
i dont use kodi for music but it seems to be a reasonable assumption that one would simply name them "ACDC" and "R.E.M"

or by album

"ACDC - Back In Black"
"R.E.M. - Murmur"
(2023-08-20, 21:57)UlfSchmidt Wrote: For AC/DC, this fails obviously
AC/DC = AC_DC
B*Witched = B_Witched
D:Ream = D_Ream
Robert John "Mutt" Lange = Robert John _Mutt_ Lange

Illegal characters are replaced with an Underscore _
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks. That did the trick. Smile
(2023-08-21, 00:16)Karellen Wrote:
(2023-08-20, 21:57)UlfSchmidt Wrote: For AC/DC, this fails obviously
AC/DC = AC_DC
B*Witched = B_Witched
D:Ream = D_Ream
Robert John "Mutt" Lange = Robert John _Mutt_ Lange

Illegal characters are replaced with an Underscore _

B*Witched <-- these are all illegal characters when used in that combination and that order.
A possible option is to create the parent "actor info" folder, then in Kodi settings media / library / music export take the option to create folders or export artist nfo files, then Kodi will do the naming for you.  Can help when you have artists with identical name as Kodi will append the first 4 chars of the mbid (if you use mbid) to make the name unique.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to name folders for AC/DC or R.E.M. correctly?0