v16 Difference between rescan and add to library?
Hello,

I recently added some albums to my music folder and used rescan (from the sidebar). However, none of the albums showed off under Interprets or Albums, but under Files.

When I went to the music source -> Context Menu -> Add to library, they finally appeared also unter Interpret and Albums.

So, is rescanning not supposed to add new tracks to the library? I'm just a bit confused...

(all captions retranslated from German)

Best Thanks!
Adding music to the library has two aspects:

The first is adding a music source - the drive and/or folder where your music is stored. You can have many of these in Kodi, but often people only have one e.g. c:\mymusic. It sounds like you did not add a source to begin with.

Having added a source you need to scan the content into the library, and Kodi will scan the tags from the music files it finds on this source and populate the library using that information.

If you later add music files (located on a source that Kodi knows about), or change the tagging on ones already scanned into the library, then you need to use "update library" to rescan and gather this information. You can set a setting to do this every time you start Kodi, but to be honest this is a bit tedious because it means that Kodi goes away and checks all your music files for any changes, so I recommend choosing update library manually when you know you have added or changed music.

There is also the option to scrape additional information about albums and artists from online sources. By default this needs to be manually started by using "query information for all" from the context menu of the artists or albums node respectively.

Rescanning only adds albums/songs to the library if Kodi knows about that music source.
I hope that makes things a little clearer.
Yeah, I know all that.

I think I got the concept of adding a music source (I already had one added), which means that the music is available on the one hand, and adding them to a the library, on the other hand, wrong.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Difference between rescan and add to library?0