Using Kodi on my TV
Hello all,

I'm new here and love these forums so hopefully my questions will be simple for someone here because even though I've been looking around and have most of the Information needed to perform the task that I want I have always found it best to ask those who know about a particular product.

Ok, I have all my MP4 movies on a huge external HD and run them to my TV using my WDTV box which is ok but since finding Kodi I now know that it really isn't what I want and kodi features are easier to use.

My question is, what is the best way to hook my external HD up to my TV and still use Kodi and at the same time remove my WDTV box. I don't want TV shows or anything pirated, I simply want to want all of my HD content with the Kodi home page up on my large TV screen and hopefully use my existing remote control, possible?

regards,
Doug..
Welcome to the forum Smile

What I'd recommend you do is have a look in the hardware section here, as there are a number of threads in there (look in the sticky'd ones at the top first) offering advice on hardware for Kodi. But from what you describe (which sounds very similar to my own usage case) I'd recommend a Raspberry Pi3 running LibreElec or OSMC. You can then either hook your drive directly to it (presuming it's a self-powered drive, or else you may need a powered hub too) or access the drive via your network.

The advantage of the Pi (aside from being relatively cheap) is that it has CEC (wiki) built-in, so in many cases (if your TV has the facility, which many modern ones do) you can operate it via your TV remote control.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
@darren has a good point
But if you have a limited budget, you could if you have a Router with a USB port hook it up to that and then map it as a Network drive, Works very well in Windows or any Linux Distro
And since kodi is being used you do not have depend on your Routers DLNA/Media Server Because you just add the Network Drive in Kodi as it was any normal folder.

And since Team Kodi Knows their stuff, you can play any format in Kodi i have not found a single Format that will not play.
And if you have Surround no problem Kodi can upmix from 2.0 Stereo to your 5.1 or 7.1 what ever you have.

This is just meant for a small budget, and depends on you having a Router with USB connection
Otherwise go with Darren's solution he knows his stuff very well.

I hope i am not bugging in, so there for no jokes from me today
Thank You
Sorry Darren just saw you did mention the Network Drive solution sorry bout bugging in then.
English is not my native language; please excuse typing errors.
Grampa Simpson: Unfortunately, like all true stories, this one has a crappy ending. You have a story with an ending.
Grampa, are you sure you're okay to drive at night? Grampa: It's night?
Banned add-ons
Both viable options. @Doorpro keep in mind sometimes using a router as a Nas will reformat the drives. Would hate to see you lose data.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
@bry Thank you for that update
Bry is correct and a small note
The Asus needs special attention or that will happen, but can be prevented by making a top folder i call mine mnt i can then move the Video files into the mnt folder, if i do not do that it will reformat my drive.
My D-link i am using as a Switch Dir845L does not need special attention it mounts what ever i feed it BUT only 1TB Max or it will crash the Router, might have been fixed on new Versions
But my old Dir845L is sooo slow when moving files to and from.

So bry is correct can happen with some Routers
Thank You bry
Grampa Simpson: Unfortunately, like all true stories, this one has a crappy ending. You have a story with an ending.
Banned add-ons
I think your best option is to go with some of Darren's first choices, because if you have an old Router like one of mine there is the HD limit and the slow transfer and taking HD off line connecting it to PC then Connecting it to Router again, really is annoying.

So your prob better off with Darren's Top Solution
Thank You
Banned add-ons
Why not buy a Chromebox or pi and simply plug the external drive into it?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using Kodi on my TV0