Win Kodi 17 - 5.1 audio optical SPDIF passthrough DTS audio not working
(2017-02-25, 10:06)fritsch Wrote: Please tell the model of your AVR ... to my knowledge there is NO single device that can do DTS but not Dolby AC3.
They are very rare. Smile
Sony SDP-EP9ES.

(2016-10-28, 22:08)nickr Wrote: No there is no point in arguing whether ac3 or dts is better to use over spdif, because in kodi you only have 1 choice, namely AC3. And yes, spdif is a compromise in the hdmi connected world.
I would agree with you but unfortunately HDMI ARC (audio return channel) does not carry lossless sound so a toslink connection might be easier and less stresful due to thinner cables (in case one wants to hid them).

Comparing DTS and AC3: the latter has different compression techniques (coupling), a different (lower) crossover and some other minor changes which can give a slighlty different experience to a skilled listener.

One question though: if there is no open source DTS encoder how was the encoding done in earlier versions? If I read correctly the lack of DTS encoding is present only in a few cases (Adroid OS ...)?
I don't think Kodi has ever encoded DTS.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Sorry, I may have written a bit confusing sentence.
I'm talking about passthrough options. Versions 15 and 16 allowed DTS passthrough but version 17 does not.
Don't what you're on about, there no problems at all with DTS passthrough on Windows in v17.
I have an android TV and after upgrading to 17 the DTS passthrough dissapeared.
I read here that the only option to get the DTS sound is to transcode it to AC3.
Not true?
I think you are confused.

Or have an Android machine that has a non standard firmware.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
If you have sync playback to display enabled passthrough is disabled automatically in v17. It is also disabled when playing live content such as TV through a PVR.

There's a discussion at http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252252

Andy
I'm aware passthrough is disabled when sync playback to display is enabled. There is a warning on the bottom of the screen.
I have one year old TV with Android 5.0. Never changed a thing so I assume it's a standard operating system.
Just remembered, after buying my new 4K TV (reason I am currently using spdif on my old AVR), that I also had to go into the TV speaker settings and chose audio format. That is DD or DTS, if there is a "mismatch" here the AVR receives stereo.
So user error on my part, just wished that the TV could detect this automatically.

Maybe some connection to OP issues.
(2017-02-27, 07:16)nickr Wrote: Perhaps you are confused by the fact that AC3 is also called Dolby Digital.

Unfortunately not every AC3 file is the same. I have decoded things named Dolby Digital, but not decoded some other things named AC3. Perhaps different sources use different bitrates, and my AVR only supports certain bitrates. The quote you listed above does not mention the different encoding standards which can be used with AC3. If this is the case, then rather than "AVR supports AC3" and "AVR supports DTS" checkboxes, maybe you can have "AC3 bitrate limit" and "DTS bitrate limit" fields.
I'm having the same problem. DTS is not passing through on Kodi 17 and 17.1. Instead I end up with Dolby Prologic. Dolby Digital passes through fine.
Finally I get my 5.1 passthrough working in Kodi 17.1 and I think everything is great again. Then I try to watch a movie with DTS. lol

(2017-03-24, 21:46)flammon Wrote: I'm having the same problem. DTS is not passing through on Kodi 17 and 17.1. Instead I end up with Dolby Prologic. Dolby Digital passes through fine.

I had to lie and say my receiver is not DTS compatible to get any sound through at all when the audio on the movie is DTS. I didn't even get stereo. Then I got Dolby 5.1. I know it's not a fix, but 5.1 beats Pro Logic, so maybe try that as a workaround until 17.2 or 18.1 or whatever comes out that doesn't have this bug.
Android users who want DTS, have a look at this thread:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=289735

The tldr; is if you want DTS, you need Android API v23 which comes with Marshmallow (Android 6) or use the shitty version that you can download from: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/android/arm/

FireTV is running Adroid 5. We need to pressure Amazon for Android 6.
I can confirm too that spdif passthrouth DTS not working, the receiver reconects to Dolby DD, not DTS, all over players works fine and receiver auto reconects to DTS.
(2017-04-07, 15:51)tomakas123 Wrote: I can confirm too that spdif passthrouth DTS not working, the receiver reconects to Dolby DD, not DTS, all over players works fine and receiver auto reconects to DTS.

I also cannot get DTS pass-through to work. Kodi 17, and I do have android build 23 (Marshmallow) on my Sony 940D. DD works just fine. I'm connected via NFS to the NAS and the TV is connected to the receiver via HDMI.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17 - 5.1 audio optical SPDIF passthrough DTS audio not working2