• 2(current)
Win HDR Support Window 10
Example of HDR support on Windows PC

Mass Effect: Andromeda gameplay in Dolby Vision & HDR10 (Dolby Vision on PC)
http://totalgamingnetwork.com/showthread...o-Gameplay

There are 2 main game application architectures:
1. Game uses services through APIs exposed by the Windows / console operating system
2. Game uses services through APIs exposed by the game engine.
The "game engine" can be developed by a 3rd party software house or by a "game software house".

As far as I know, the free cross-platform Amazon Lumberyard game engine is currently
. waiting for the Windows / console OS built-in support of HDR10
. supporting Dolby Vision on Windows: the Dolby Vision SDK has been integrated into the game engine in a few days.
http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1023597/

As dynamic metadata are missing in HDR10, the HDR10 TV’s tone mapping is not properly done.
The proper tone mapping has to be done outside the HDR10 TV: "App does tone mapping".
This proper tone mapping is carried out by the game app according to the collected HDR capabilities of the HDR10 TV.
As there "is quite a bit of work to query HDR capability", the Amazon Lumberyard team waits for the Windows / console OS built-in support of HDR10.

"Dolby Vision, one of the standard for HDR is currently supported on the Windows platform. Lumberyard's Dolby Vision implementation works on legacy cards as well, e.g. NVidia GTX980 or older, PASCAL is not required, same goes for AMD. HDR 10 is the other standard, which Windows and Xbox has announced plans to support through the OS, and other consoles might too. When that occurs, Lumberyard will support it as well.
Before Windows and Console OS has the support, it is quite a bit of work to query HDR capability and switch the display to HDR mode. Some vendor SDKs like Nvidia Gameworks support this query and switching mechanism for some TVs, but since OS built-in support is coming (soon), we don’t currently plan on incorporating the vendor specific HDR into Lumberyard."

https://gamedev.amazon.com/forums/questi...ayforum-20

Dolby Vision compatible demo game based on Amazon Lumberyard game engine running on Windows PC > NVidia Titan X graphics card >> HDMI >> Dolby Vision compatible Vizio R TV

https://twitter.com/nvidiageforce/status...5099340800

So, there are 2 HDR game application architectures:
. game depending on OS built-in support of HDR10 / Dolby Vision
. game not depending on OS built-in support of HDR: HDR10 / Dolby Vision features are integrated into the game / game engine.
Universal audio/video receiver (Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, etc.) is achieved.
Universal HDR TV (HDR10, Dolby Vision, HEVC HLG HDR, VP9-HLG / VP9-PQ YouTube HDR, Dynamic HDR) is required.

Push for universal HDR TV!
hi.. i have a htpc with new nvidia pascal video card. both my amp and projector support 12bit and HDR.

So Kodi doesnt support these files yet ?

Anyone know what player i need to use to get actual 10 bit no dithering... nvidia pascal cards are supposed to support 10 Bit in full screen directx mode correct ?
HDR SDK for Nvidia.
Read the PDF.

https://developer.nvidia.com/high-dynami...evelopment
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
That's for games
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
So in the end it is only 10bits colors + identification metedata if tv is "hdr".
Need to wait the Creators Update of Windows 10
Hello, are there news about Windows 10 - Kodi and HDR?
thanks
Nobody here with HDR + creator update preview ?
Philips 65OLED804 (4K HDR10+/Dolby Vision) / Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro with Kodi 20 Nexus Marven for DV / Onkyo TX-NR474 + Jamo 809 Pack 5.0 + Sub Jamo 912
no HDR here ...

installed win10 15063 build, HDR in Games like Resident Evil 7 working, in Kodi Movies not ... washed out and no HDR.

same Videos play in HDR on Nvidia Shield TV with Kodi just fine.

so Windows HDR seems to work as Games work, but no Video Playback yet

With media players
- Win Media Player, Like all too high (too bright, too colorful, ...)
- Win Movie TV, all colors washed out (like in Kodi)
I hav successfully enabled HDR on Windows 10. I'm currently writing the XML code to trigger mpc within kodi to launch mpc with HDR activated for HDR content. Spend 120hrs working on meta and log files with the help of a black magic 4k user to get this working. I have successfully got HDR to appear in mpc with some window registry settings. Tests have worked with life of pi, oled 10 bit demos with meta HDR data as well as some other sources. Stay tooned. Just need to edit external launcher to add the code. I'm sure I could probable add internal HDR support for the kodi player. Have to test that to. Mostly mpc is been tested. You do not need madvr to enable HDR to my surprise. My method will work in custom presenter filter to support hardware GPU 4k for Intel kaby lake gpu, nvidia, AMD Polaris Rx cards. Your TV must support HDR to see this. If it does not your video will look washed out and brutle with HDR applied. HDR is high dynamic range and can be enabled on mpc. Vlc it cannot be enabled. AMD Polaris will support rgb444 when hooked to a enhanced enabled HDMI port (2.0a) which will enable wide gamut and 4k. The TV I'm testing with is Sony 65 inch xbr850c hdr with rx470 AMD Polaris card. Hdcp 2.2 both TV and GPU. I got the GPU to work with lav filters and hardware acceleration on GPU. Perfect 4k 23.976 in HDR. By the way HDR YouTube videos are fake HDR and not true to the original material. I tested jazz oled demo 4k 10bit with meta data and the skin tones remain normal but the HDR is enabled and the colors are very vibrant. The lights explode like looking at real stage lights at night in a concert while balancing the blacks . The skin tones remain normal and not nucleur red like the fake HDR stuff. These tests were done across many files to ensure these will work with all HDR material. I'll update this post when I've successfully finished the code and added it to XML for 2 settings. 1 for Blu-ray and the other for HDR. What I'm going to do if offer when you click on a movie it asks you play in external player. In that section I will have 2 options. Play in HDR or play in Blu-ray spec. Simple. Your PC will switch to HDR mode if your TV supports it. If not the image will be extremely bright and look really bad. The material you play must be true HDR or the same will happen. If you play a Blu-ray in HDR mode it will look really bad. Another thing is true hdr video appears as camera log footage when played on a PC with HDR disabled. It looks bad. Anyone with recording or studio background understands camera log footage. This is how HDR looks on a non HDR enabled TV as well.

HDR is rather simple. In the meta file is information for the material to control the dynamic range of the TV. Just transfer those settings in the meta file to Windows 10 and HDR is enabled. YouTube has 8bit what I call fake HDR mode. It looks OK but it's not correct. Madvr when you enter this meta date it triggers dc-3 mode. These data entries can be adjusted per TV to increase nit value and other parameters. Madvr does not work with Polaris Rx cards to well. Glitch free 4k is best used in directx and custom presenter filter with forced lav video and audio filters. Also full screen mode set to 4k at 24p switching is important to for 23.976 material. I have heard that 1080p will be getting HDR to. Actually is is possible to if you were to take 4k log footage and compress it down to 1080p. In theory it would work as long as you can output 10bit color in 1080p. If not you would get really bad banding with HDR enabled. That's why it's a minimum requirement to have 10 bit 420 color. 422 is pointless and 444 is possible lol. Many get hung up in 444 422 420 color. You cannot see with your naked eye 444 422 420 differences. These color specs are for post editing and color grading. 422 is for green screening work. Eventually all material in final product gets 420 color. Spectrum is another thing. 8bit vs 10bit. 8bit is perfect for Blu-ray but 8bit for 4 k you will get bad banding as per my tests. 10 bit you get 85 percent less banding but in some rare cases it's still there but harder to notice.
(2017-03-29, 05:24)Gereral1 Wrote: I hav successfully enabled HDR on Windows 10. I'm currently writing the XML code to trigger mpc within kodi to launch mpc with HDR activated for HDR content. Spend 120hrs working on meta and log files with the help of a black magic 4k user to get this working. I have successfully got HDR to appear in mpc with some window registry settings. Tests have worked with life of pi, oled 10 bit demos with meta HDR data as well as some other sources. Stay tooned. Just need to edit external launcher to add the code. I'm sure I could probable add internal HDR support for the kodi player. Have to test that to. Mostly mpc is been tested. You do not need madvr to enable HDR to my surprise. My method will work in custom presenter filter to support hardware GPU 4k for Intel kaby lake gpu, nvidia, AMD Polaris Rx cards. Your TV must support HDR to see this. If it does not your video will look washed out and brutle with HDR applied. HDR is high dynamic range and can be enabled on mpc. Vlc it cannot be enabled. AMD Polaris will support rgb444 when hooked to a enhanced enabled HDMI port (2.0a) which will enable wide gamut and 4k. The TV I'm testing with is Sony 65 inch xbr850c hdr with rx470 AMD Polaris card. Hdcp 2.2 both TV and GPU. I got the GPU to work with lav filters and hardware acceleration on GPU. Perfect 4k 23.976 in HDR. By the way HDR YouTube videos are fake HDR and not true to the original material. I tested jazz oled demo 4k 10bit with meta data and the skin tones remain normal but the HDR is enabled and the colors are very vibrant. The lights explode like looking at real stage lights at night in a concert while balancing the blacks . The skin tones remain normal and not nucleur red like the fake HDR stuff. These tests were done across many files to ensure these will work with all HDR material. I'll update this post when I've successfully finished the code and added it to XML for 2 settings. 1 for Blu-ray and the other for HDR. What I'm going to do if offer when you click on a movie it asks you play in external player. In that section I will have 2 options. Play in HDR or play in Blu-ray spec. Simple. Your PC will switch to HDR mode if your TV supports it. If not the image will be extremely bright and look really bad. The material you play must be true HDR or the same will happen. If you play a Blu-ray in HDR mode it will look really bad. Another thing is true hdr video appears as camera log footage when played on a PC with HDR disabled. It looks bad. Anyone with recording or studio background understands camera log footage. This is how HDR looks on a non HDR enabled TV as well.

HDR is rather simple. In the meta file is information for the material to control the dynamic range of the TV. Just transfer those settings in the meta file to Windows 10 and HDR is enabled. YouTube has 8bit what I call fake HDR mode. It looks OK but it's not correct. Madvr when you enter this meta date it triggers dc-3 mode. These data entries can be adjusted per TV to increase nit value and other parameters. Madvr does not work with Polaris Rx cards to well. Glitch free 4k is best used in directx and custom presenter filter with forced lav video and audio filters. Also full screen mode set to 4k at 24p switching is important to for 23.976 material. I have heard that 1080p will be getting HDR to. Actually is is possible to if you were to take 4k log footage and compress it down to 1080p. In theory it would work as long as you can output 10bit color in 1080p. If not you would get really bad banding with HDR enabled. That's why it's a minimum requirement to have 10 bit 420 color. 422 is pointless and 444 is possible lol. Many get hung up in 444 422 420 color. You cannot see with your naked eye 444 422 420 differences. These color specs are for post editing and color grading. 422 is for green screening work. Eventually all material in final product gets 420 color. Spectrum is another thing. 8bit vs 10bit. 8bit is perfect for Blu-ray but 8bit for 4 k you will get bad banding as per my tests. 10 bit you get 85 percent less banding but in some rare cases it's still there but harder to notice.

I read this with great interest - will you share your work with Madshi? A lot of us use Dsplayer as our main HTPC. Also, will your solution work on other windows Os versions? (8.1 etc)

K
LG OLED55BX6LB, Zidoo Z1000 Pro (ZDMC 20.2 Arctic Zephyr 2 Resurrection), Yamaha RX-A3060, Polk Signature Fronts & Centre, Wharfedale D300 Atmos surrounds, Heco Victa Prime Sub 252A, DSPeaker Antimode 8033 Cinema
Win7 8 10. Can't say for Mac or Linux as I do not know about how they store data in their registry never used dsplayer before so I will have to check it out. I travel all over so when I get home I will continue working on this. Each program stores it's Windows reg keys in different locations. How I figured this out was with the values in the meta hdr10 main file. So in theory if a program can adjust HDR settings then it's possible. The reason I use mpc is for dtshd master lpcm 7.1
(2017-03-29, 12:51)Gereral1 Wrote: Win7 8 10. Can't say for Mac or Linux as I do not know about how they store data in their registry never used dsplayer before so I will have to check it out. I travel all over so when I get home I will continue working on this. Each program stores it's Windows reg keys in different locations. How I figured this out was with the values in the meta hdr10 main file. So in theory if a program can adjust HDR settings then it's possible. The reason I use mpc is for dtshd master lpcm 7.1

Ok thanks - look forward to seeing your work.

K
LG OLED55BX6LB, Zidoo Z1000 Pro (ZDMC 20.2 Arctic Zephyr 2 Resurrection), Yamaha RX-A3060, Polk Signature Fronts & Centre, Wharfedale D300 Atmos surrounds, Heco Victa Prime Sub 252A, DSPeaker Antimode 8033 Cinema
(2017-03-29, 12:57)oldpainless Wrote:
(2017-03-29, 12:51)Gereral1 Wrote: Win7 8 10. Can't say for Mac or Linux as I do not know about how they store data in their registry never used dsplayer before so I will have to check it out. I travel all over so when I get home I will continue working on this. Each program stores it's Windows reg keys in different locations. How I figured this out was with the values in the meta hdr10 main file. So in theory if a program can adjust HDR settings then it's possible. The reason I use mpc is for dtshd master lpcm 7.1

K

I wouldn't get my hopes up with a fresh reg and two posts. Smile Windows Creators Update is just around the corner (11th April) and when it hits GPU vendors will provide new drivers with WDDM 2.2 support which is the basis of HDR/WCG.
(2017-03-31, 13:20)higher Wrote:
(2017-03-29, 12:57)oldpainless Wrote:

K

I wouldn't get my hopes up with a fresh reg and two posts. Smile Windows Creators Update is just around the corner (11th April) and when it hits GPU vendors will provide new drivers with WDDM 2.2 support which is the basis of HDR/WCG.

Yeah, I clocked that, but thought you never know. Not sure I want to "upgrade" to Win 10 from Win 8.1

K
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDR Support Window 102