v16 Handling for MusicBrainz tags in KODI music library?
Question 
I'm still searching the reasons why not all my songs are imported in the KODI music library.

Working through the list of differences, the following behaviour isn't clear for me:

Example:
I have this album "The Reiki Effect": http://musicbrainz.org/release/70740ac1-...246dc05a87
The following tags are saved in the ID3 tags for every song:
MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ARTIST ID with 585a9c75-dcca-4019-97df-899921f841f9, d22a9ad4-8a40-4afe-9b3f-58d9f197a8fe
MUSICBRAINZ ARTIST ID with the same two artists 585a9c75-dcca-4019-97df-899921f841f9, d22a9ad4-8a40-4afe-9b3f-58d9f197a8fe
MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ID with 70740ac1-ba95-44c4-8cee-68246dc05a87
MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID with their individual IDs

On MusicBrainz the two collaborating Artists
AEOLIAH (http://musicbrainz.org/artist/585a9c75-d...9921f841f9)
and
MIKE ROWLAND (http://musicbrainz.org/artist/d22a9ad4-8...d9f197a8fe)
are credited as Artists for this album.

According to Musicbrainz I have saved this album in my own filestructure in the directory:
:\mp3\A\AEOLIAH\The Reiki Effect

Why does KODI list this Album (in the Album search) with MIKE ROWLAND but in the track listing (the one with all 12 songs) it appears as "AEOLIAH & MIKE ROWLAND"?
If I search for the Artist AEOLIAH I find the entry for the album "The Reiki Effect", but the Artist is listed as "MIKE ROWLAND".

Could please someone explain how the MusicBrainz IDs control the import behaviour in KODI?

Since now, I read the following articles:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_music_to_th...ntegration
http://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_music_to_th..._File_tags
http://kodi.wiki/view/MusicBrainz_metadata

Is there any article with further details?

BTW: I have deactivated every external metadata search I could find. This way I hope that KODI only import the already available informations from the files (ID3 Tag).
Unfortunately I expect that the wiki you list is out of date. Zag wrote an update that could be a bit clearer, but I keep loosing where it was posted.
Quote:Could please someone explain how the MusicBrainz IDs control the import behaviour in KODI?

If Kodi finds Musicbrainz id tags then it presumes that the music files have been tagged accurately and consistently and uses the Musicbrainz ids to create the library entries. With this respect v17 is a little more robust than v16 which is better than v15, hence the version you are using matters. Earlier versions of Kodi had problems when the number of artist names it could identify did not match the number of Musicbrainz ids. And users editing the artist names tags but not the corresponding Musicbrainz id tags can still cause issues.

For the behaviour of "The Reiki Effect" album and artists in particular, the folder structure you use is not of importance. This is an album with multiple album artists, and that is something that can cause issues. I am going to bet that the songs from this album do not have an ALBUMARTISTS tag, and may not have an ARTISTS tag (note the "s" in both).

Kodi finds the 2 MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ARTIST ID values, but can not split the ALBUMARTIST tag "Aeoliah & Mike Rowland" into separate artists. After all some artist names contain ampersand ("&") so it is not clear this is two separate names. What happens next is the kind of thing you are experiencing, and I would guess you are not using v17 which does try to recover by itself.

Try this: add an ALBUMARTISTS tag to all the songs on this album with value "Aeoliah / Mike Rowland", and scan into Kodi again. You may need to drop all abums with these artists first, and clean the library, but that should sort everything out.

You can get Picard to add the ALBUMARTISTS tag automatically, unfortunately it does not do it by default. Add the following:
Code:
$setmulti(albumartists,%_albumartists%)
to the Options > Advanced > scripting settings

A search for ALBUMARTISTS on the forum should give you longer discussion and explanations.
Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. I really appreciate your information!
(2016-11-04, 18:01)DaveBlake Wrote: For the behaviour of "The Reiki Effect" album and artists in particular, the folder structure you use is not of importance. This is an album with multiple album artists, and that is something that can cause issues. I am going to bet that the songs from this album do not have an ALBUMARTISTS tag, and may not have an ARTISTS tag (note the "s" in both).
You are absolutely right! There are no such tags (with ending "s").

What kind of (4-letter-abbreviation) of id3 tags should that be? Some TXXX frames?
Or is ALBUMARTISTS and ARTISTS some kind of helper tag for KODI only?

In the meantime, I search the forum for ALBUMARTISTS Angel
Looking at your tagging on this album the issues you have are down to mismatching of artist names and musicbrainz id tags. What software did you use to edit the tags?

For example track 1 has
ALBUMARTIST: "AEOLIAH"
ARTIST: "AEOLIAH & MIKE ROWLAND"
MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ARTIST ID: 585a9c75-dcca-4019-97df-899921f841f9, d22a9ad4-8a40-4afe-9b3f-58d9f197a8fe
MUSICBRAINZ ARTIST ID: 585a9c75-dcca-4019-97df-899921f841f9, d22a9ad4-8a40-4afe-9b3f-58d9f197a8fe

This needs to be accurate and consistent, the musicbrainz ids need to have matching artist names that Kodi can identify. So to match the 2 id values in each musicbrainz id tag you need to have
ALBUMARTIST: "Aeoliah & Mike Rowland"
ALBUMARTISTS: "Aeoliah / Mike Rowland"
ARTIST: "Aeoliah & Mike Rowland"
ARTISTS: "Aeoliah / Mike Rowland"

Picard would have provided this (except needing scripting added as I described for ALBUMARTSITS ), the use of all capitals makes me think you have hand edited this and created inconsistencies.

You need to edit the tagging on all the songs in that way.
Thanks again, DaveBlake!

Just to be sure that I fully understand your answer:

a) The case spelling for the Artists DOES make a difference and has to match exactly the case spelling from Musicbrainz online information?
-> I can't use my own case spelling (Artist in all capitals)?
-> There is no way to tell KODI "ignore all the Musicbrainz online information, just import what you get from files"?

b)
(2016-11-04, 19:24)DaveBlake Wrote: ALBUMARTIST: "Aeoliah & Mike Rowland"
ALBUMARTISTS: "Aeoliah / Mike Rowland"
ARTIST: "Aeoliah & Mike Rowland"
ARTISTS: "Aeoliah / Mike Rowland"
Why do I have to add and "double" this tags (with ending "s") and change the value & to a / Forward-Slash?
I mean: I have the specific unique IDs for both artists in MUSICBRAINZ ARTIST ID and MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ARTIST ID, why should KODI take care about a "&" or "/" to split the artists?
a) you can spell things how you like (you really like all capitals?) but the number of artists and musicbrainz ids need to match. In this case you changed
"Aeoliah & Mike Rowland" to just "AEOLIAH" but left both their ids.

No there is no way to tell Kodi to ignore Musicbrainz Id tags. If you don't want to use Musicbtainz tags then do not tag with them - use consistently or not at all. However Muiscbrainz id are useful - that are a great way to uniquely identify artists that may have the same name e.g. John Williams the guitarist and John Williams the condisctor/composer of Star Wars theme etc., and they make the job of the scrapers so much easier and likely to accurately fetch the additional artist and album information.

b) Kodi uses the tags to know what name to associate with what ID. The ARTISTS and ALBUMARTISTS tags are to make it clear exactly what the separate artist names are when there are multiple artists. Kodi by default uses the space-slash-space as an item separator. By comparison "&" could be part of an artist name, Kodi has no way to be sure. Historically you would have had to tag with ARTIST = "artist1 / artist2", but people like to see "artist1 feat. artist2" etc. when music plays not "/" everywhere. Hence ARTISTS and ALBUMARTISTS tags were created, these always have the names matching the musicbraiz id tags in a clearly identifiable way.

I hope that is clearer.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Handling for MusicBrainz tags in KODI music library?0