YouTube Now Offering HDR Videos
(2016-11-09, 00:09)movie78 Wrote: @hdmkv

like the new avatar!!
Hey Dude, how'd you make those sparklies happen? Need those kinda effects Wink.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2016-11-08, 05:34)wesk05 Wrote: @DJ_Izumi: can you try these clips on your new Samsung TV?

It seems they work on my Samsung UN65KU6290FXZC. I saved the MKVs to a USB key, stuck it into the TV, and it had no issue playing them. (I guess that confirms that it can play MKVs too, I wasn't sure about that). This isn't a super primo set, it's an 'Entry Level' HDR UHD 65" screen but I could see a decent more amount of detail in the highlights and shadows, though that redwood video gets REAL crunchy in the blacks in both SDR or HDR.

Of course, I'm assuming the TV wasn't doing something like converting the HDR to SDR and tone mapping it or something, TVs often give users next to no meaningful feedback on what it's ingesting. :X
(2016-11-09, 04:04)DJ_Izumi Wrote: It seems they work on my Samsung UN65KU6290FXZC. I saved the MKVs to a USB key, stuck it into the TV, and it had no issue playing them. (I guess that confirms that it can play MKVs too, I wasn't sure about that). This isn't a super primo set, it's an 'Entry Level' HDR UHD 65" screen but I could see a decent more amount of detail in the highlights and shadows, though that redwood video gets REAL crunchy in the blacks in both SDR or HDR.

Of course, I'm assuming the TV wasn't doing something like converting the HDR to SDR and tone mapping it or something, TVs often give users next to no meaningful feedback on what it's ingesting. :X
Thanks for testing. Samsung TVs when in HDR mode will change the backlight to 20 and contrast to 100. That is sort of the only way to check whether the TV is in HDR mode.
(2016-11-09, 04:29)wesk05 Wrote: Thanks for testing. Samsung TVs when in HDR mode will change the backlight to 20 and contrast to 100. That is sort of the only way to check whether the TV is in HDR mode.

It doesn't seem to be doing that by default, though if I manually engage 'HDR+' as a 'Special Viewing Mode' it goes to 20/100, but it'll make that same switch on any of it's inputs and I'm sure this 720P HDTV version of Shark Tank I'm watching on Kodi on an HDMI port isn't HDR.
(2016-11-09, 05:06)DJ_Izumi Wrote: It doesn't seem to be doing that by default, though if I manually engage 'HDR+' as a 'Special Viewing Mode' it goes to 20/100, but it'll make that same switch on any of it's inputs and I'm sure this 720P HDTV version of Shark Tank I'm watching on Kodi on an HDMI port isn't HDR.
Hmm.. that's interesting. My understanding was that the VP9 bitstream within WebM container already has the HDR metadata embedded. I don't know much about VP9 format. So, not sure where to look for the metadata.

update:
Just checked, the clip has all the necessary HDR metadata. Reference: https://www.webmproject.org/docs/contain...n-mkv-file

Code:
I:\Downloads>mkvinfo theworldinhdr.webm
+ EBML head
|+ EBML version: 1
|+ EBML read version: 1
|+ EBML maximum ID length: 4
|+ EBML maximum size length: 8
|+ Doc type: webm
|+ Doc type version: 4
|+ Doc type read version: 2
+ Segment, size 353889824
|+ Seek head (subentries will be skipped)
|+ EbmlVoid (size: 4044)
|+ Segment information
| + Timecode scale: 1000000
| + Muxing application: libebml v1.3.4 + libmatroska v1.4.5
| + Writing application: mkvmerge v9.5.0 ('Quiet Fire') 64bit
| + Duration: 154.569s (00:02:34.569)
| + Date: Wed Nov 09 01:29:23 2016 UTC
|+ Segment tracks
| + A track
|  + Track number: 1 (track ID for mkvmerge & mkvextract: 0)
|  + Track UID: 9333552638983917
|  + Track type: video
|  + MinCache: 1
|  + Codec ID: V_VP9
|  + Default duration: 16.683ms (59.940 frames/fields per second for a video track)
|  + Video track
|   + Pixel width: 3840
|   + Pixel height: 2160
|   + Display width: 3840
|   + Display height: 2160
|   + Video colour information
|    +Colour matrix: 9   <------ BT2020 Non-constant Luminance
|    + Colour range: 1
|    + Colour transfer: 16  <------SMPTE ST 2084
|    +Colour primaries: 9 <------ITU-R BT.2020
|    + Video colour mastering metadata
|     + Red colour coordinate x: 0.68
|     + Red colour coordinate y: 0.31996
|     + Green colour coordinate x: 0.26494
|     + Green colour coordinate y: 0.68996
|     + Blue colour coordinate x: 0.15
|     + Blue colour coordinate y: 0.05998
|     + White colour coordinate x: 0.3127
|     + White colour coordinate y: 0.3127
|     + Max luminance: 1000
|     + Min luminance: 0.001
| + A track
|  + Track number: 2 (track ID for mkvmerge & mkvextract: 1)
|  + Track UID: 32400336935203949
|  + Track type: audio
|  + Codec ID: A_VORBIS
|  + CodecPrivate, length 4207
|  + Audio track
|   + Sampling frequency: 44100
|   + Channels: 2
|+ EbmlVoid (size: 1112)
|+ Cluster
Honestly, I'm not sure. Keep in mind that a TV, being made for consumers, poorly communicates any technical information. I mean, to change between 16-235 and 0-255, I have to choose between 'Low', 'Normal' or 'Auto' for a setting called 'HDMI Black Level'. And I have to manually enable something called 'HDMI UHD Color' to allow the TV's EDID to communicate that it can do 4K @ 60hz on an input, otherwise it only allows 30hz. ...I don't even know WTF that MEANS I just know I had to read it in the manual when trying to send 4K @ 60hz to it.

There's no data for the YouTube app or the files played off USB and really it makes me feel spoiled by Kodi that will happily tell me that my current file on playback is 1080p, HEVC, bt.709 color space and more.

Tomorrow if I have time I'll copy the SURELY SDR YouTube files and see if they look any different off the same USB stick.

On that note, it'd be nice to have version numbers and build dates on the built in YouTube app so I can tell when it was last updated but... TV's are made for idiots!
Like I said before, the files downloaded with a PC from youtube WILL be bt.709/SDR unless somebody makes a yT-dowloader that is able to spoof the required agent strings (or similar) to download the HDR versions. Even then, those files would not play correctly in Kodi since Kodi (in combination with various OS'es) does not A) support HDMI injection of the required metadata, or B) has a built-in LUT to do proper downscaling of BT.2020 to Rec.709. (Or not, depending on the TV HDMI EDID, but then again that would require A) The latter will result in bland colours (because the movie people mostly grade in DCI-P3 and and then use a LUT to convert to bt.2020) if the media player treats the bt.2020 as a regular rec.709 file. In addition to different YCC coeffisients, the RGB values will reference wrong primaries for red and green)
(2016-11-09, 06:30)Soli Wrote: Like I said before, the files downloaded with a PC from youtube WILL be bt.709/SDR unless somebody makes a yT-dowloader that is able to spoof the required agent strings (or similar) to download the HDR versions. Even then, those files would not play correctly in Kodi since Kodi (in combination with various OS'es) does not A) support HDMI injection of the required metadata
You may want to check how YouTube-dl script works and also take a look at the clip info I have pasted in the post above.
Kodi doesn't need to inject any HDR metadata on Android if it is using capable hardware decoder. It is all done at the OS level. The same applies to Windows 10. However on Windows 10, Kodi needs to use an additional API. which it doesn't do now.
Thanks for letting me know the state of the various YT downloader apps/scripts Smile
Sorry, I only familiar with Kodi on Linux. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't HDR still half assed at best on Android? That's my impression after having glanced the various threads.

On another note, and slightly OT. I think it's a difference between real native support and "dump it into a hardware decoder and hope for the best" support.
Is the metadata buried in the container or video itself?
Tested the videos on 2016 LG OLED last night (65B6V) - they play fine, but the TV does not switch to HDR mode (internal YT app).
I expect LG to update the internal app accordingly...
Give it some time. Smile
(2016-11-09, 02:30)hdmkv Wrote:
(2016-11-09, 00:09)movie78 Wrote: @hdmkv

like the new avatar!!
Hey Dude, how'd you make those sparklies happen? Need those kinda effects Wink.

This is the website I used to create the sparklies effectyou can use the one I created or I will PM you with instruction.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2016-11-09, 11:01)jd17 Wrote: Tested the videos on 2016 LG OLED last night (65B6V) - they play fine, but the TV does not switch to HDR mode (internal YT app).
I expect LG to update the internal app accordingly...
Give it some time. Smile

For the time being, the playback of the new YouTube HDR files can only be done using a Chromecast Ultra compatible with HDR10, Dolby Vision, VP9-PQ "YouTube HDR" and hopefully VP9-HLG "YouTube HDR":

VP9-PQ file stored on YouTube cloud >> Internet >> VP9-PQ compliant Chromecast Ultra > uncompressed video stream >> HDMI 2.0a >> HDR10 compliant 2016 LG OLED

HDR10 file >> Internet >> HDR10 compliant Chromecast Ultra or any HDR10 compliant media player > uncompressed video stream >> HDMI 2.0a >> HDR10 compliant 2016 LG OLED

HDR10 disc > Ultra HD Blu-ray player > uncompressed video stream >> HDMI 2.0a >> HDR10 compliant 2016 LG OLED

The VP9-PQ YouTube HDR is not the "BDA" HDR10:
. the codec of the royalty-free VP9-PQ is the royalty-free 10-bit VP9
. the codec of the HDR10 is the royalty-paid 10-bit HEVC H.265.

However, the uncompressed video streams sent by a VP9-PQ media player or a HDR10 media player to a compatible HDR TV are exactly the same:
. same color primaries Rec.2020
. same transfer function SMPTE ST 2084 PQ
. same static metadata
. same interface HDMI 2.0a

https://source.android.com/devices/tech/...y/hdr.html

If the SoC of the 2016 LG OLED is supporting 10-bit VP9 (and not the usual 8-bit VP9), then it can be upgraded to support directly VP9-PQ YouTube HDR:

VP9-PQ file stored on YouTube cloud >> Internet >> VP9-PQ compliant 2016 LG OLED
Universal audio/video receiver (Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, etc.) is achieved.
Universal HDR TV (HDR10, Dolby Vision, HEVC HLG HDR, VP9-HLG / VP9-PQ YouTube HDR, Dynamic HDR) is required.

Push for universal HDR TV!
(2016-11-09, 21:27)DanBa Wrote: If the SoC of the 2016 LG OLED is supporting 10-bit VP9 (and not the usual 8-bit VP9), then it can be upgraded to support directly VP9-PQ YouTube HDR:

VP9-PQ file stored on YouTube cloud >> Internet >> HDR10 compliant 2016 LG OLED
Yes, I read that the TV does support VP9 profile 2, so I am hoping for an update.
(2016-11-09, 10:49)Soli Wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't HDR still half assed at best on Android? That's my impression after having glanced the various threads.

On another note, and slightly OT. I think it's a difference between real native support and "dump it into a hardware decoder and hope for the best" support.
Is the metadata buried in the container or video itself?

You could say that about HDR implementation on Android. There are firmware issues.

For HEVC metadata is in the SEI/VUI of the bitstream. For VP9 it looks like it is actually in the container (WebM). I have a lot to learn about VP9.

I am not sure what you mean by "dump it into a hardware decoder and hope for the best". I don't think Kodi can access the hardware decoder (what goes on inside the decoder) on any platform.
What I meant was that traditionally one demuxes the file and decodes the appropriate video/sound streams. Not just sending the whole MKV file to the GPU. (If I understand it correctly)
I think at least it should be possible to pass through DV since the metadata is supposedly buried in BTB(or was it WTW, or both?), if one can isolate the metadata.

At least Calman is able to calibrate DV modes with normal GFX cards (they only support Intel officially).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
YouTube Now Offering HDR Videos1