• 2(current)
v17 Sorry, I am unable to like Estuary.
Well i LOVE it, because of all the free space, i do not like my UI cramped, and i think this will be my def skin.
On 16.1 i use a custom "skin" "from the official repo" but it does not work on 17, zip refuses to install "its a dev version" but not a NO NO
I know i can just unzip it in the add-on folder, but there must be a good reason kodi refuses to install it, and since the new UI to my liking, "well would still like to be able to add a Menu item in kodi" without having to edit the xml in Notepad++ but, it works great.

just the fact that the menu bar now is of to the "Right" makes it much better ofc would be nice if you could choose where to have it bottom or left side or right.
But i 99% love it on my 40 inch
English is not my native language; please excuse typing errors.
Grampa Simpson: Unfortunately, like all true stories, this one has a crappy ending. You have a story with an ending.
Grampa, are you sure you're okay to drive at night? Grampa: It's night?
Banned add-ons
(2016-11-11, 01:20)da-anda Wrote: With all these restrictions it's not possible to implement some of the features, other skins are using. And we have these restrictions because the skin simply has to work no matter what.
But what is the point of a "working" skin that you can't actually use because you can't read the text? It's all very well saying "we just do what we want" and don't care if it isn't actually usable by anyone unless they sit at a computer screen and have programming skills.

I'll relay what I'm told, but I'm sure others will be puzzled as to why it isn't possible to make text readable and as to why they have to figure out how to do it themselves.
When i sit in my sofa 6 meters away "that must be some 18-19 feet if my calc is correct" i have no problems AT all reading subtitles, or Program info menu names and so on, Movie "plot" is a bit hard to see, but since i have seen my movies so many times i do not need to read what it says.
When i am sitting in my armchair 9-10 feet or 3 meter i have NO problems at all reading any text on my LCD 40 inch
Grampa Simpson: Unfortunately, like all true stories, this one has a crappy ending. You have a story with an ending.
Banned add-ons
(2016-11-11, 02:03)kimkl Wrote: is a bit hard to see, but since i have seen my movies so many times i do not need to read what it says.
Good for you! Others might want to be able to read information/use Kodi on an HTPC. I can still use it and I like Estuary in general, but when people would ask what to use for an HTPC or something easy to use for their mum, I'd suggest Kodi. It seems odd to me not to want HTPC users, only computer users.
(2016-11-11, 01:20)da-anda Wrote: because the skin simply has to work no matter what.

Do not know if I should laugh or cry on this one...

Work no matter what?
Yeah, sure...
Moanbag is in da place!
(2016-11-10, 22:42)bilgepump Wrote:
(2016-11-10, 19:59)Martijn Wrote: Then feel free to use something else or make it yourself.
I will never understand the trend from users that they think they can demand anything from a bunch of hobbyist without lifting a finger theirselves...
Why do you assume that USERS have programming skills? I can't "make it myself". I don't know how and I would not be able to learn in any reasonable timeframe.

Absolutely not true. You can honestly look at the skin files and figure it out within an hour. I'm not saying you will be a master, but if you SLOWLY look at the code it will make sense. The first time I opened a skin.xml file I freaked out and said screw this. Finally when I actually got interested in changing my skin to show <plotoutline> instead of <plot> for my movies, it literally took me about 10 minutes of looking at the code and comparing to the online wiki and changed what I needed to. Start with small things like that, then moved up to a lot more advanced things. The one thing I remember from my whole experience was how easily I was scared just from glancing at it and having the same mindset as you. I absolutely have faith you could figure it out, because if my dumbass could do it, so can you Big Grin
(2016-11-11, 04:37)Fail$tyle420 Wrote: Absolutely not true.
Did you miss the part where they said it could not be done?
(2016-11-11, 02:24)bilgepump Wrote:
(2016-11-11, 02:03)kimkl Wrote: is a bit hard to see, but since i have seen my movies so many times i do not need to read what it says.
Good for you! Others might want to be able to read information/use Kodi on an HTPC. I can still use it and I like Estuary in general, but when people would ask what to use for an HTPC or something easy to use for their mum, I'd suggest Kodi. It seems odd to me not to want HTPC users, only computer users.

Okay you lost me a computer and a HTPC, is the same , so i take it you mean using a PC Monitor, but i get your point.
Banned add-ons
(2016-11-11, 04:44)bilgepump Wrote:
Opinions will differ on any default skin, and you are certainly entitled to express yours. However the strength of kodi is that you have the choice to use other skins, including confluence.

Edit: give arctic zephyr a try.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-11-11, 06:52)nickr Wrote:
Opinions will differ on any default skin,
Why should I try something else when I like Estuary and my current situation means I can use it blind? All it means is that I won't be recommending Kodi to anyone else, as I have been doing to date. There's a difference between personal preference and basic functionality. Estuary lacks the latter. I would never suggest to anyone that they have to fiddle faddle about to try to get something basic. Fiddle faddling is for optional stuff, IMO.
(2016-11-10, 22:29)da-anda Wrote: creating a new skin doesn't drag away any core dev from fixing bugs or whatever, as they are different people. Skinners make skins, core devs fix bugs. And only because of Estuary and the demands of it many new features and fixes for all skins have been added to core. So a new default skin not only brings a new UI, but also improvements in core.

OK, point taken. Still, did you guys ever consider making a GUI skin editor? I mean, editing xml files by hand in the 21st century? I appreciate that this project is free and hobby driven, but just think of the advantages this would bring? Not that I am unable to decepher how skins work, but it is way too much work...
(2016-11-11, 09:12)bilgepump Wrote: Why should I try something else when I like Estuary and my current situation means I can use it blind? All it means is that I won't be recommending Kodi to anyone else, as I have been doing to date. There's a difference between personal preference and basic functionality. Estuary lacks the latter. I would never suggest to anyone that they have to fiddle faddle about to try to get something basic. Fiddle faddling is for optional stuff, IMO.
So you will stop recommending Kodi to anyone just because YOU don't like the default skin that can be changed in less than 10 clicksHuhHuh
As has been said couple of times, default skin has certain requirements that other skins don't which limits the functionality, and that is why you have the liberty to change the skin to any other skin you want. This thread alone has more than 3 recommendations.

P.S I actually like Estuary more than Confluence /run /hide

I must have, because before I posted there isn't ANY posts saying "You can not edit skin files". So please, enlighten me. Did you read the rest of what I said or just focus on that first sentence?
Can anyone explain what 'basic functionality' estuary is missing?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-11-10, 18:01)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2016-11-10, 16:36)widardd Wrote: Why are there so many huge empty spaces?

It feels like I am getting 30% less information (text/pictures) just because someone thought UIs designed for tiny touchscreens are an absolute must-have on large non-touch screens.
I also don't like all the blank space, but many people do.
For now I simply returned to using Confluence, which now has customisable main menu items Smile

In particular I would like to be able to get more items in the lists. My hope is to make browsing and selecting what music to play as quick and easy as it was with discs on shelves - there I could easily scan the spines of 100 albums at a time with just a glance. But I know that I am alone in the team with that view where such "over complicated text filled" screens are anathma.

If there is someone out there with the same tastes and skinning skills then maybe they would like to give this a go?

@DaveBlake.

I'm up for dojng a new music view for you, would be in madnox first but if you use a specific skin then i'll look at doing a version for that once we get something going.

PM me if you want to talk or send me your ideas mate.

Mike.
SKIN: Aeon Madnox
RIP Schimi2k, we miss you.
When I grow up I want to be a skilled skinner
Thank me by ⬇ adding to my + reputation
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sorry, I am unable to like Estuary.2