Best Remote Option For Kodi/Shield ?
I'm considering picking up a Shield for video/movies as well as some retro gaming. However I don't see a dedicated FF, Rew, Pause, ect on the Shield remote. Something I've grown accustomed to and would want to have. Is this in fact true, and if so how well overall does the Shield remote work with Kodi ? Can I fully navigate all of Kodi with the Shield remote ? And if not would a third party remote be a better option, even though you would lose the voice search ?
A Fire TV remote pairs nicely with the Shield and will have the functions you want without sacrificing the voice search. 30 bones from Amazon.
With the Shield remote you don't need dedicated buttons to do most thing.

Long press the Select (Center button) will pull up the Context menu when navigating the UI and will play/pause when watching a video. Up/Down will jump chapters, Left/Right will skip Forward/back. And the back button can easily programed to stop.

However, the best remote to use with the Shield is the Harmony Smart Control Hub. And if you use this HERE you will get the most control. Also, with the Harmony app you'll have access to a keyboard from your phone/tablet when you need one.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
What about if you want to use a Web Browser on the Shield what options do you have then, as you need a mouse pointer. ?
And once you start Sideloading Apps that have not been designed with Android TV in mind, some sort of Air Mouse is essential.

I would think a remote like the MINIX A2 Lite Air Mouse / Mini Keyboard combo would be more useful in that use case scenario.

(2016-11-11, 05:31)wrxtasy Wrote: What about if you want to use a Web Browser on the Shield what options do you have then, as you need a mouse pointer. ?

You do like I do and pull out your tablet or phone and browse the web on a device that was actually designed to browse the web, not on something setting 10' + away from you.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I agree but my point is there are still (non Android TV) Apps that people will want to run on Shield, Mi boxes etc that need some sort of Air Mouse.

Does the Shield's gaming remote control have a mouse pointer feature like the old PS3 used to implement ?

Yes, but there are people that want to treat the Shield like a mobile device also. It's not a mobile device, nor is it a PC and if there is an app that someone wants to use on the Shield then what they should do is request the app developer to make it compatible with Android TV (which is how many apps have gotten compatibility already) not work around the issue using a mouse/air mouse.

But I believe the question by the OP was the Best Remote, not mouse, air mouse or keyboard. And since this is a Kodi forum, not an all apps forum, the best remote for interaction with Kodi on the Shield is still by far the Harmony Smart Control Hub.
Nice deflection of a valid question there by a Shield Fanboy.... I'm saying this in the nicest possible way Wink
Best remote must surely include using a remote with other (no Android TV) Apps, particularly if you can simply pick up a Mini Keyboard and type with minimal fuss with even Android TV Apps !

Why not simply say I don't know the answer to the Air Mouse question ?

The harmony hub is great, but rather expensive.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
The reason I'm asking for feedback is the Aliexpress Global Sale has these MINIX NEO A2 Lite - RF Wireless - Air Mouse - Mini Keyboard remotes on sale in about 3.5 hrs.

For Android TV capable devices it seems like a cheap no brainer purchase.
Even WeTek Play2 & Hub boxes with their horrible IR Air mouse implementations would benefit by adding an NEO A2 Lite.

(2016-11-11, 06:42)nickr Wrote: The harmony hub is great, but rather expensive.

I picked mine up for $89 last year at Best Buy, but as the OP didn't mention a price range I don't know what they would consider "expensive".

(2016-11-11, 06:32)wrxtasy Wrote: Nice deflection of a valid question there by a Shield Fanboy.... I'm saying this in the nicest possible way Wink
Best remote must surely include using a remote with other (no Android TV) Apps, particularly if you can simply pick up a Mini Keyboard and type with minimal fuss with even Android TV Apps !

Why not simply say I don't know the answer to the Air Mouse question ?

First, fanboy? Yes I like the Shield and think it's one of the best Android devices out there, but far from a fanboy. When someone asks what they should get my answer does not always fall back to "Get a Shield". But I also don't feel the need to post in every post mentioning a specific device either, especially one that I don't own and have no first hand experience with.

And no, it's not a deflection and I know the answer to the "Air Mouse question" and my answer stands. It's a dumb way to interact with a TV and people should request app developers to support Android TV instead of flailing around like a monkey throwing poo with a air mouse.
(2016-11-11, 07:04)Tinwarble Wrote: And no, it's not a deflection and I know the answer to the "Air Mouse question" and my answer stands. It's a dumb way to interact with a TV and people should request app developers to support Android TV instead of flailing around like a monkey throwing poo with a air mouse.

couldn't agree more
(2016-11-11, 07:08)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-11-11, 07:04)Tinwarble Wrote: And no, it's not a deflection and I know the answer to the "Air Mouse question" and my answer stands. It's a dumb way to interact with a TV and people should request app developers to support Android TV instead of flailing around like a monkey throwing poo with a air mouse.

couldn't agree more
Ha ha...I did say Fanboy in jest as I knew you (Tinwarble) would react, creatively it seems Wink
Yes I 100% agree. It's just a matter of herding those Apps developers in the right direction. A bit like herding cats it seems !

I'm going to have a look at these new Harmonies as well.

Thanks for all the feedback guys !

So it seems the Harmony Smart Control Hub is a popular choice. However I'm not clear on whether I will lose the voice search function ? Also, does the voice function actually work within Kodi ? I've seen videos where they use it to initially load Kodi but not use it from within. As well would losing the voice function be a big negative for a Shield user ?

Then there is the suggestion of the Fire TV remote. As Arfalax stated it does have the voice function and works well with Kodi. And is priced well below the HSCH.

And of course the Shield remote. A bit pricey I think (?) but obviously designed for the shield/android.

It seems as though I'm looking at two separate entities. Kodi and then Android, where you need to find a compromise between the two (?). Could you elaborate further as to the pros and cons of using each of these remotes with Kodi and Android ? What you gain or loss with each.

Please excuse my lack of knowledge as my only experience has been my trusty WD Live.

Thank you.....
Yes, with the HSCH you will lose voice search, though, if you keep your phone/tablet around you can install the Android TV Remote app and use it to do voice searches.

With the Shield remote or the FireTV gen 2 remote you will retain voice search, but you will lose any ability to add any extra control in Kodi.

Keep in mind that voice search does not work with every app (it's not universal) and it is not an "always listening" feature. So, though it's a nice feature it's usefulness is limited.

There currently is not a remote that "does it all", and no matter what you use you're going to have to compromise somewhere. You just have to decide on what is the most important to you and if you can work around the limitations.

Frankly my choice is the HSCH, not only because I can use it with the Shield (less voice) and it offers the most control in Kodi, but because I can also control all my other devices with it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Remote Option For Kodi/Shield ?0