Best Remote Option For Kodi/Shield ?

(2016-11-12, 15:29)Pi 4 Wrote: Also, does the voice function actually work within Kodi ? I've seen videos where they use it to initially load Kodi but not use it from within. As well would losing the voice function be a big negative for a Shield user ?
Losing the voice function would not be OK to me. That said, the Shield TV remote does just about everything but turn the TV on and off. The Kodi fork
SPMC affords voice search that works extremely well.
(2016-11-12, 19:47)mjbxx Wrote: Losing the voice function would not be OK to me. That said, the Shield TV remote does just about everything but turn the TV on and off. The Kodi fork

Unless you lose/break your controller or don't have a Android phone/tablet you never "lose' the voice function. It's just a matter of how you want to interact with the Shield.

I should also state that there is another option, though not exactly a remote, and that using a Flirc with a remote that you already have. Though you still won't have voice on the remote itself, you can use nearly any remote that you want including your old WD Live TV remote.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2016-11-12, 20:07)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2016-11-12, 19:47)mjbxx Wrote: Losing the voice function would not be OK to me. That said, the Shield TV remote does just about everything but turn the TV on and off. The Kodi fork
Unless you lose/break your controller or don't have a Android phone/tablet you never "lose' the voice function. It's just a matter of how you want to interact with the Shield.
Whatever! I thought this thread was related to remotes and not to a phone or a tablet. I do not consider either to be a remote control. Also to the ability to voice search Kodi which SPMC provides for.
(2016-11-12, 20:38)mjbxx Wrote: Whatever! I thought this thread was related to remotes and not to a phone or a tablet. I do not consider either to be a remote control. Also to the ability to voice search Kodi which SPMC provides for.

A phone/tablet can be a remote and why they have the Android TV Remote, which gives you the same function as the Shield remote, plus has a play/pause button and keyboard.

EDIT: A phone or tablet may not be a traditional device, but it does offer traditional control.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2016-11-12, 20:55)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2016-11-12, 20:38)mjbxx Wrote: Whatever! I thought this thread was related to remotes and not to a phone or a tablet. I do not consider either to be a remote control. Also to the ability to voice search Kodi which SPMC provides for.
A phone/tablet can be a remote and why they have the Android TV Remote, which gives you the same function as the Shield remote, plus has a play/pause button and keyboard.
I would never use a phone or tablet over an actual remote. Not interested in having to look directly at either to navigate an app. Keymapping using longpress commands pretty much handle all functions throughout Kodi/SPMC including play/pause.
(2016-11-12, 20:55)NTinwarble Wrote:

EDIT:  A phone or tablet may not be a traditional device, but it does offer traditional control.

Hi
I have harmony 650 (ir only) and want to control kodi on shield tv. 
I checked your old messages saying add a device as windows pc, but there is not such an option for non-hub harmony remotes. 
Any advice? 
Thank you.
by far the best remote to get is a harmony with hub, control everything on one remote, has an extremely good BT connection and was on sale on amazon for 79.99$ yesterday, not sure if it still is, NO other remotes compare IMO after using one for over a year
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
(2017-10-15, 20:02)dukester Wrote: by far the best remote to get is a harmony with hub, control everything on one remote, has an extremely good BT connection and was on sale on amazon for 79.99$ yesterday, not sure if it still is, NO other remotes compare IMO after using one for over a year

+1
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I've had my Harmony Hub for 4 years (well, next month is 4 years) and I liked it so much I got another one and an Elite.  They're basically the best.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
Also the option to turn everything on with "Alexa turn on the Shield" and then poof, everything's on, is great.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
Old thread I know but I can't really see the benefit of using the Fire TV 2 remote with the Shield and Kodi.  Biggy for me is that it has no volume control so I'll be juggling the 2 remotes then.  I can't really think what the Fire TV remote does that the Shield remote doesn't?  I have a spare Fire remote as I'm binning a FTV 2 for a Mi box as I just can't stand the Amazon centric UI and nature of the whole Fire TV experience (previously tried a Minix U9 that I binned as I decided I couldn't stand the mobile phone interface and the need for an air-mouse on a TV - the problems Netflix created with installing their app on non certified devices was the final nail in the coffin for all generic boxes for me).  I'm starting to get quite a collection of remotes including air mice (albeit I still have my A2 connected to my Shield for the rare occasions I need to use it). Just can't think of a use for the Fire's.
You can change volume via the Kodi gui but is clunky and a volume button on the remote is far superior.

I can't see what is to like about minimalist remotes.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Remote Option For Kodi/Shield ?0