v17 replaygain doesn't seem to be working

Thanks for the quick reply. I will provide examples and post a debug log asap. However, here's a quick run down of what I did.

I've just switched from using Windows Media Centre to Kodi on both the same PC and a Raspberry Pi/Libreelec setup. Whereas we played random music via WMC and had no need to adjust the volume, when doing the same with Kodi on both machines, we found a need to frequently adjust the volume based on what was playing. This volume difference was noticeable in both Party Mode and Non Party Mode playback.

A search of the issue led me to this thread and I started to investigate the topic of Replaygain.

Both setups PI/PC have the 'Use Track Level' option set and at the default of 89db.

I checked an mp3 file using 'Mp3Tag' and it confirmed that there were no Replay Tags present. I then took just this MP3 file and using Audacity produced a copy that was 30db lower in amplitude.

Using 'MP3Gain' I did a track analysis on these two files and it produced the Replaygain and Replaypeak tags as follows:-

Original - RPG > +6.11db; RPP > 0.565735
Quiet Copy - RPG > +31.1db; RPP > 0.31365

Using Audacity again I verified that neither file had had the actual amplitude adjusted.

I replayed these back on both setups and the Quiet Copy was not volume adjusted and barely audible leading me to suspect that the tags where not being honoured.

If I understand the process correctly then it seems to me that the Player ( or something) should read the value of the Replaygain tags and add this value to the current default setting for the pre-amp, hence producing some sort of leveling of the volume across tracks.

I'll try a few more tests but I will post examples and logs as soon as the wife lets me play again Smile


Messages In This Thread
RE: replaygain doesn't seem to be working - by Gaspode - 2017-05-26, 10:27

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
replaygain doesn't seem to be working0
This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.