XBMC on Intel Mac Mini
flash Wrote:Now that video playback is sorted does anyone have the mac mini remote working correctly. On my first install of lirc and it running the config tool i was able to select the apple remote. All was working fine and in IRW i could see the apple remote sending commands. I then rebooted the machine and lirc will just not work. irw will jsut says connection failed. Anybody got any ideas? I am going to retry install from fresh again.

OK did a little more on this.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Install_Lirc_Gutsy
There is a section here about the apple remote. The DEVICE has to be set in the hardware.conf. The reason my lirc was failing is i hadnt set this. Using lsinput i see which device to set this to e.g /dev/input/event6 but after a reboot this device id can change e.g /dev/input/event4. Is there anyway to force this onto the same event name after every reboot or else the lirc config will always have to change.
A bit off-topic,

but is there any chance that sometime in the not-too-distance future that it will be possible to compile XBMC on OSX? seeing as it has unix underpinnings as well as X?

either that, or would running it be feasible to run XBMC under VMware fusion (or would it probably be too slow).

I can't unfortunately ditch OSX (I need it for certain apps I'm running on the mini) but I'd love to get XBMC back in my home as i've been without it since my Xbox died.
comments from a newb:

assuming that all the libraries are available for Mac OSX, it shouldn't be too difficult to compile - BUT THAT'S A BIG ASSUMPTION!

Leopard does support OpenGL 2.1 but who knows what else is required to compile the goodness that is XBMC...
stokkes Wrote:but is there any chance that sometime in the not-too-distance future that it will be possible to compile XBMC on OSX? seeing as it has unix underpinnings as well as X?
Possible yes, 'all' that is needed is a skilled C/C++ developer willing and able to make it work under OSX. You (or anyone) are more than welcomed to try to lobby a such developer, ...I am sure the whole Team-XBMC are willing to answer any questions a such developer might have, however that developer will have to do the 'heavy lifting' themselves.

stokkes Wrote:either that, or would running it be feasible to run XBMC under VMware fusion (or would it probably be too slow).
I'm pretty sure that VMware Fusion do not support OpenGL 2.0 for the guest operating-system(?)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thanks for the reply.

I got XBMC to compile under Ubuntu in Parallels (it supports OpenGL), but there were graphical glitches (it would flicker incessantly). I think it might be due to the fact that opengl in linux under parallels isn't 100% yet, but I'm not sure.

It's moments like these I wish I went into more advanced programming (instead of just web stuff and basic perl, etc).

I'd love to find a developer who'd be willing to undertake this task (I'm just wondering, how much "heavy lifting" there would be)? Quite a few linux apps get ported to OSX without much difficulty, so I'm hoping it'd be the same with XBMC.

I would be in a digital home nirvana with XBMC running natively on my Mini in OSX, to me anyway, it would be a perfect platform for xbmc (but i'm sure many people are saying that for Linux, PS3, etc).
stokkes Wrote:I'd love to find a developer who'd be willing to undertake this task (I'm just wondering, how much "heavy lifting" there would be)? Quite a few linux apps get ported to OSX without much difficulty, so I'm hoping it'd be the same with XBMC).
I'm not a programmer/developer myself so I'm not really qualified to answer that question, however since XBMC Linux port uses SDL (Simple DirectMedia Layer) it should in theory not be that difficult as SDL is designed to make applications relativly easy to port to other platforms.

stokkes Wrote:I would be in a digital home nirvana with XBMC running natively on my Mini in OSX, to me anyway, it would be a perfect platform for xbmc (but i'm sure many people are saying that for Linux, PS3, etc).
One of the must common comment in any request/suggestion we get contain some form of the frase "if you only add this then XBMC will be perfect for me", so yes (it is even in our FAQ), ...saying that will not help someone win any point with the developers
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
stokkes Wrote:Thanks for the reply.

I got XBMC to compile under Ubuntu in Parallels (it supports OpenGL), but there were graphical glitches (it would flicker incessantly). I think it might be due to the fact that opengl in linux under parallels isn't 100% yet, but I'm not sure.

It's moments like these I wish I went into more advanced programming (instead of just web stuff and basic perl, etc).

I'd love to find a developer who'd be willing to undertake this task (I'm just wondering, how much "heavy lifting" there would be)? Quite a few linux apps get ported to OSX without much difficulty, so I'm hoping it'd be the same with XBMC.

I would be in a digital home nirvana with XBMC running natively on my Mini in OSX, to me anyway, it would be a perfect platform for xbmc (but i'm sure many people are saying that for Linux, PS3, etc).

Not quite.. Parallels 3.0 supports 3D acceleration for windows vm but not linux vm.. at least not yet.. I've read that the developers are working on 3D acceleration for linux... run glxinfo or glxgears and you'll see...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on Intel Mac Mini0