Win Sorting to another drive?
Hey guys,

I recently discovered Ember and feel like it could be the one program that makes my life easier as it seems to be capable of all the tasks I require, my issue is... I don't know how to get it to do what I require Laugh

Currently all downloads are put in to a "To Be Sorted" folder, I then run filebot, which renames and moves them to a different hard drive with folder structure (TV/Show/Season), I then use Media Companion to scrape them and create nfo files. Having a play with Ember, it feels like it could make my life way easier and save me having multiple programs if set up right.

I noticed that Ember has the ability to rename and create folders, and I've had a play with the parameters but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it to move the files to a different drive, is this even possible? I know I'm going to sound like an idiot, but it just refuses to accept a : in the directory path and -'s it out.

If they are currently in C:/Sort how do I move them to D:/TV?

Is it possible to use Ember to take all of the shows in Sort and move them to the right locations?

I've tried doing some searching on here and while some of it has been helpful unfortunately I think I'm choosing the wrong words to search for as I either get no results or far too many to be of any help Sad

Would one of you guys mind helping me out?
In short: no(t yet). Ember can't recognize files that are not inside a movie source. But there are many ways to make your process easier...

Movies:
Most of all downloaded movies has an NFO that contains the IMDB ID (tt123456). Ember can't read this NFO files because they are not written in XML. But Ember tries to get the IMDB ID from this files. That means Ember should have a correct ID to automatically scrape the movie. The old NFO will be automatically renamed to *.info or overwriten (depending on Setting => Options => General => Misc. => Overwrite non-conforming NFOs) while adding to Embers DB or scraping.
Ember also has some Command Line functions (Link).
Depending on your used downloader or other copy/ripping-software you can let Ember only scan a specified folder for new movies (e.g. .\Ember Media Manager.exe -scanfolder "D:\Movies\Avatar"). New movies will be marked as New. Now you can use a second command to scrape New movies: .\Ember Media Manager.exe -scrapemovies newauto all.
If you have enabled the Renamer Module, Ember renames the folder and file names depending on your Renamer settings.

Episodes:
Simple move the new episodes to the tv show folder. If the tv show is known, that means the tv show has a unique ID like TVDB, TMDB or IMDB, Ember scrape the information automatically on DB update. It's also possible to update only a specified tv show with Command Line (e.g. .\Ember Media Manager.exe -scanfolder "D:\TV\The Simpsons"). If you have enabled Renaming Episodes During DB Update, Ember moves and renames the episode and files automatically to the season folder.

You also can enable an entry in Windows Explorer context menu that allows you to start folder scanning from Explorer (Settings => Misc. => Context Menu). New episodes will be added and scraped automatically as always, new movies will only be added to the database and you have to start the scraping process manually in Ember.
Please use the latest Alpha version of Ember to use all features!
Edit: I am already using 1.8 Alpha Smile

Hey Dan Smile

Thanks for responding so quickly and your post is super helpful and a wonderful starting point Smile I'm going to act a little stupid and number my follow-up questions, just so I make sure that I have this correct Smile

Regarding Movies:

1)All my movies end up in a single folder, they aren't in individual folders. Let's say I create another folder called "New Movies", which has my latest files in it, could I then set Ember to scrape that folder, identify the movies and then move them to the "Movies" folder with the rest of the files?

2A) If the answer to 1) is Yes, may I ask why this isn't possible to do so with TV shows?

2B) If the answer to 1) is No, Should I create a base "Movies" folder and then have each movie in it's own separate sub-folder and put new movies in the root "Movies" folder and let Ember scrape them and move them to the right folder?

TV Shows:

Currently I use Filebot to rename and move files, as I deal with between 10 and 15 files on a daily basis and it enables clicking a single button that queries TVDB for the name, renames them and organises them for me, it speeds up the process considerably as I don't need to move them in to their correct folders first. The issue is Filebot doesn't create an Nfo file. Looking at Ember, I thought it had the ability to move files and rename them? Am I misunderstanding it (Highly likely) or am I just asking for something that's too many steps or too complicated (Using a single folder as a root for new episodes, and on a separate HDD)?

Basically I'm just trying to use 1 program instead of several to speed things up and make my life easier Smile

I appreciate your help and I apologise for asking stupid questions Smile
1) No.
2) Yes. If you have set the movie source setting to "Movies are in separate folders" then Ember move each movie that has been saved directly in the source path to an own folder while adding it to the DB. If you want change your structure to "separate folders" than remove the source, use Tools => Sort files into folders and than re-add the source with right settings.

3) Episodes will always be assigned to the tv show that contains the episode file. Only season and episode number will be scanned from file name. So you have to move the files inside a tv show folder.
Awesome that's a helpful start, thank you Dan Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sorting to another drive?0