Binary backend privacy question
Can a binary plugins source code remain private or does it have to be open to the public?

I understand the source must be made available for submission review, but can this process remained closed or does it have to be open?

Thanks
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
that's the ever-returning does-shared-linking-violate-gpl situation.

ianal but i think the consensus is more or less it's okay in letter. i make the claim it sucks in spirit though.
in this case it is very questionable, since there are callbacks both ways. that is, the pvr add-on is calling kodi code, not just the other way around. so it certainly doesn't fall under the 'os' exception.
I tend to it having to be open due to callbacks in both directions, as ironic_monkey explained.
Thanks for the replys @wsnipex and @ironic_monkey... I agree 100% it sucks in spirit.

We live in weird times open source code repositories are used like a shopping center for trademark infringing pirate box sellers....

I'm not sure if my development will help the community or I fear will be instantly cloned, bundled and sold as a piracy tool.

It sucks to even have to consider the ramifications of publishing code, guess this is just how it is now.
Since the question is a bit vague, maybe you want to explain the case a bit more in a PM?
Because PVR addons are compiled binaries, there is no technical reason why you need to make your source available. However, if you are using or linking against code whose license requires making the source available when used, then you may have a legal obligation to open your source.

Only providing binaries, however, will make it difficult if not impossible for those using lesser-used architectures or libc's to make use of your addon.
Sorry I didn't mean to be vague... I just remember how the pvr demo code, spawned IPTV simple... which on its own is great. Sure you can see the road this goes down... Thanks for the helpful info Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Binary backend privacy question0