Someone is selling fully loaded Kodi boxes near me.
(2016-11-24, 11:57)Tadly Wrote:
(2016-11-24, 11:40)brokentechie Wrote: That's fine. I have no issue with Kodi being upset about 3rd party addons. What I do have an issue with is someone taking up a cause that's not "theirs " to own....

What is it that you don't understand?
OP clearly stated that someone is selling fully loaded (kodi + illegal add-on crap) kodi devices near him.
Back to what you said:
Quote:It's not illegal, they aren't doing anything legally wrong.
Really? Go troll elsewhere...
Prove the "illegal addon crap" statement. Do you mean addons that kodi foundation want to distance themselves from, or do you genuinely, ignorantly think they are illegal? As in breaking some law. Maybe in the US, but not in UK...

Sent from my SM-G935F
brokentechie, you are entitled to your opinion, but I believe you're missing the point.

The developers and the foundation that owns the Kodi trademark takes the heat from content providers. They feel the pain every time someone refers to their work in a context for which it wasn't intended. It prevents any hope of having legitimate addons for Amazon, Netflix, Spotify and the like, because no big company would want to be associated with "the piracy guys".

In essence, their work is being taken and used for legally-dubious purposes, and they don't want that. It's not about being offended or just being grumpy, it's a genuine reaction to long hours spent on a hobby that then gets dragged through the mud in every article you read, every YouTube video you see. People are entitled to object to that.

if you disagree... well, that's fine, but you're not the one writing the code, running the servers, manning the stalls, talking to the content and platform providers.
(2016-11-24, 12:14)brokentechie Wrote: Prove the "illegal addon crap" statement. Do you mean addons that kodi foundation want to distance themselves from, or do you genuinely, ignorantly think they are illegal? As in breaking some law. Maybe in the US, but not in UK...

What a surprise. Is this the thousandth british person making this argument, or are we well past that point? I don't know what it is about the UK, but people from there really seem to love getting defensive about being pirates.
(2016-11-24, 12:18)Prof Yaffle Wrote: brokentechie, you are entitled to your opinion, but I believe you're missing the point.

The developers and the foundation that owns the Kodi trademark takes the heat from content providers. They feel the pain every time someone refers to their work in a context for which it wasn't intended. It prevents any hope of having legitimate addons for Amazon, Netflix, Spotify and the like, because no big company would want to be associated with "the piracy guys".

In essence, their work is being taken and used for legally-dubious purposes, and they don't want that. It's not about being offended or just being grumpy, it's a genuine reaction to long hours spent on a hobby that then gets dragged through the mud in every article you read, every YouTube video you see. People are entitled to object to that.

if you disagree... well, that's fine, but you're not the one writing the code, running the servers, manning the stalls, talking to the content and platform providers.
And like I said, I have no problem with the foundation following whatever action it deems fit in pursuing it's goal, what I have issue with is broad generalisations, sweeping statements of half baked truth and accuracy and people running under a banner that isn't theirs to carry.

If the OP is a coder of Kodi, cracking on, I revoke my arguments, but it comes across to me that they are purely whining because someone, somewhere is making money on the side.

Sent from my SM-G935F
(2016-11-24, 12:19)natethomas Wrote:
(2016-11-24, 12:14)brokentechie Wrote: Prove the "illegal addon crap" statement. Do you mean addons that kodi foundation want to distance themselves from, or do you genuinely, ignorantly think they are illegal? As in breaking some law. Maybe in the US, but not in UK...

What a surprise. Is this the thousandth british person making this argument, or are we well past that point? I don't know what it is about the UK, but people from there really seem to love getting defensive about being pirates.
We aren't pirates. We don't get defensive about piracy. We just don't swallow the hype that it funds organised crime, people smuggling etc etc. Plus, it is not illegal for us to receive digital content via streaming that is copyright or pirated, only for us to store it or distribute it.

Plus we hate whining

Sent from my SM-G935F
(2016-11-24, 12:28)brokentechie Wrote: We aren't pirates. We don't get defensive about piracy. We just don't swallow the hype that it funds organised crime, people smuggling etc etc. Plus, it is not illegal for us to receive digital content via streaming that is copyright or pirated, only for us to store it or distribute it.

Really ? How come all the major UK ISP's block so many sharing sites then (including many that used to be accessed by dubious Kodi add-ons) and are adding hundreds to their blocklists each week ?

Go ask SKY if they think it's legal for you to watch any of their sports or movie channels without a paid subscription to them.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Because quite simply they are working with content owners to protect their investment. It simply boils down to capitalism and profits. My I ISP doesn't block anything being fair.

Sent from my SM-G935F
(2016-11-24, 13:29)brokentechie Wrote: Because quite simply they are working with content owners to protect their investment. It simply boils down to capitalism and profits. My I ISP doesn't block anything being fair.

Sent from my SM-G935F (typie typie)
If you're in the uk it almost certainly does. Because it has to, because the courts say so.
(2016-11-24, 13:33)trogggy Wrote:
(2016-11-24, 13:29)brokentechie Wrote: Because quite simply they are working with content owners to protect their investment. It simply boils down to capitalism and profits. My I ISP doesn't block anything being fair.

If you're in the uk it almost certainly does. Because it has to, because the courts say so.
Nope, afraid not. Some, not all.

Anyway, the upshot is, someone, somewhere is always making money from something else. Someone joined here purely because it offended them that someone dare make money from something else, somewhere, even though it isn't their something that is being sold.

So they didn't suffer a loss, but they're still up in arms about it. And also because their opinion was challenged by a "goddam, pirate limey"

Peace brothers [emoji8]

Sent from my SM-G935F
(2016-11-24, 11:50)Leptoon Wrote:
(2016-11-24, 11:40)brokentechie Wrote: What I do have an issue with is someone taking up a cause that's not "theirs " to own....

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
How typically american view... let's enforce our view of things to everyone because only we see things right... go clean your yard stop preaching to others.

Sent from my GT-N7100
(2016-11-24, 12:28)brokentechie Wrote:
(2016-11-24, 12:19)natethomas Wrote:

We aren't pirates. We don't get defensive about piracy. We just don't swallow the hype that it funds organised crime, people smuggling etc etc. Plus, it is not illegal for us to receive digital content via streaming that is copyright or pirated, only for us to store it or distribute it.

Plus we hate whining

Sounds like you haven't heard of this case http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37474595

So since you also appear to be a UK fully loaded box seller going by your configuration wizard, I'd suggest you follow that in case you're the next one to get a knock on the door.
(2016-11-24, 13:40)brokentechie Wrote: [Anyway, the upshot is, someone, somewhere is always making money from something else. Someone joined here purely because it offended them that someone dare make money from something else, somewhere, even though it isn't their something that is being sold.

So they didn't suffer a loss, but they're still up in arms about it. And also because their opinion was challenged by a "goddam, pirate limey"

Peace brothers [emoji8]
Yeah, but your whole position is silly.
I have a view on lots of things that don't affect me directly. Some of them I feel very strongly about. Some things that don't affect me directly offend me at my core. Internet piracy doesn't happen to be one of them, but so what?
If you're only bothered by things that affect you directly you're a pretty shallow individual. No offence.*

*You can take offence if you'd like. After all you're getting offended because someone else is offended by something you think isn't worth being offended by.
(2016-11-24, 14:02)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2016-11-24, 12:28)brokentechie Wrote:
(2016-11-24, 12:19)natethomas Wrote: What a surprise. Is this the thousandth british person making this argument, or are we well past that point? I don't know what it is about the UK, but people from there really seem to love getting defensive about being pirates.

Plus we hate whining

Sounds like you haven't heard of this case http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37474595

So since you also appear to be a UK fully loaded box seller going by your configuration wizard, I'd suggest you follow that in case you're the next one to get a knock on the door.
[FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY] I appear to be what going by my configuration wizard?

No I'm a weapons engineer with a full time job who maintains his own build for his own personal use.

I don't make any money from kodi or piracy, I don't sell boxes, but I can assure you, if I did I wouldn't mislead folk about what it can or can't do. I also wouldn't advertise it as a Sky or Virgin replacement lol

Sent from my SM-G935F
(2016-11-24, 14:04)trogggy Wrote:
(2016-11-24, 13:40)brokentechie Wrote: [Anyway, the upshot is, someone, somewhere is always making money from something else. Someone joined here purely because it offended them that someone dare make money from something else, somewhere, even though it isn't their something that is being sold.

Peace brothers [emoji8]
Yeah, but your whole position is silly.
I have a view on lots of things that don't affect me directly. Some of them I feel very strongly about. Some things that don't affect me directly offend me at my core. Internet piracy doesn't happen to be one of them, but so what?
If you're only bothered by things that affect you directly you're a pretty shallow individual. No offence.*

*You can take offence if you'd like. After all you're getting offended because someone else is offended by something you think isn't worth being offended by.
I don't get offended as a rule. I move on with my life and smile a lot more than most lol

Sent from my SM-G935F
The same thing over and over again.
May I suggest to moderators to close this thread? The purpose of this thread was very specific in the first post. I don't get the point of making this yet another nonsense discussion.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Someone is selling fully loaded Kodi boxes near me.0