Win Kodi not reading custom keymaps??
I just pent 3 hours trying to get Kodi to read my Custom keymap files. I found a few threads over the web and I'm sure I'm doing it right, but it's not working for some reason.

Note I'm on Windows 8.1 and the other machine is windows 7.

I created a new 'keyboard.xml' file under: %APPDATA%\kodi\userdata
... and I put the following in the file:
Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
      <f>VolumeUp</f>
      <r>VolumeDown</r>
    </keyboard>
  </global>
</keymap>

However, if I press the F or R key it will still do Forward or Rewind instead of Volume Up/Down.

The reason I want this? I bought 2 OSMC remotes and they work fine except I want to map the Forward and Rewind buttons of the remote to Volume Up/Down. So I tried with the remote.xml file with the following code, but it doesn't work either.
Code:
<keymap>
    <global>
        <remote>
            <reverse>VolumeDown</reverse>
            <forward>VolumeUp</forward>
        </remote>
    </global>
</keymap>

I even tried restarting my PC with no change. I bought these remotes because they are super simple and perfect for my Grandparents who will struggle with a remote that has to many buttons.

I hope someone can help as I must be missing something here.

Regards
Nick
If I were you I'd just install the keymap editor addon & use that, it's much easier for what you want to do.
The machines I really want this on does not have access to the internet. Is there a way to manually add the add-on?
You could download it from github and install from zip using USB/SD Card https://github.com/tamland/xbmc-keymap-editor
(2016-11-25, 20:23)FXB78 Wrote: You could download it from github and install from zip using USB/SD Card https://github.com/tamland/xbmc-keymap-editor

Thanks. Will give that a go tomorrow. Already kinda late here.
I think that should be in userdata/remotes rather than simply userdata. A debug log will tell you if the file is loaded at startup, and if it sees any errors in the file.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-11-25, 18:14)Nic_s Wrote: I just pent 3 hours trying to get Kodi to read my Custom keymap files. I found a few threads over the web and I'm sure I'm doing it right, but it's not working for some reason.

Regards
Nick

On my windows laptop using Kodi 16.1 I put my keymaps in:-

C:\Users\Geoff\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\keymaps

and they work no problems
(2016-11-26, 06:55)Jeffers24 Wrote:
(2016-11-25, 18:14)Nic_s Wrote: I just pent 3 hours trying to get Kodi to read my Custom keymap files. I found a few threads over the web and I'm sure I'm doing it right, but it's not working for some reason.

Regards
Nick

On my windows laptop using Kodi 16.1 I put my keymaps in:-

C:\Users\Geoff\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\keymaps

and they work no problems

That's exactly where I put mine, except instead of 'Geoff' I have 'Nick'
That is NOT what you said in your first post.

You said you put it in %APPDATA%\kodi\userdata not %APPDATA%\kodi\userdata\keymaps.

Also you don't seem to have followed my advice about a debug log. The thread won't go anywhere without checking your debug log. It is probably in the wrong place, or has an xml error.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Installing the add-on manually works. It doesn't work like I thought it would, but after a messing around with for a few minutes I got it working and got the Fast Forward and Rewind buttons on the OSMC remote remapped to Volume Up/Down.

I still have no idea why the .xml way doesn't work though. And yes, I'm using Kodi 16.1.

But, it works with the addon. Thanks guys.
(2016-11-27, 08:50)nickr Wrote: That is NOT what you said in your first post.

You said you put it in %APPDATA%\kodi\userdata not %APPDATA%\kodi\userdata\keymaps.

Also you don't seem to have followed my advice about a debug log. The thread won't go anywhere without checking your debug log. It is probably in the wrong place, or has an xml error.

So I made a typo... regardless, it still doesn't work there. I had the files under the keymaps folder the whole time.

I'll remove the addon on my PC and try the xml files... again... and see if I can spot anything in the log. I didn't see anything in the log file before though. What should I be looking for?? Any keywords??
Post the log (to a paste site) and I am happy to take a look. Kodi needs to start with debugging on.
I found the problem.

I tried the xml file again and it still wasn't working. I then spotted a keymaps folder under the kodi installation and had a look through the keyboad.xml file that's in there and I spotted why my .xml file wasn't doing what I was expecting. Don't worry, I didn't edit it.

This is what I actually needed in the xml file:
Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
      <f>VolumeUp</f>
      <r>VolumeDown</r>
    </keyboard>
  </global>
  <FullscreenVideo>
    <keyboard>
      <f>VolumeUp</f>
      <r>VolumeDown</r>
    </keyboard>
  </FullscreenVideo>
</keymap>

So every time I tested this I opened a video and tried the F and R key, but it never changed the volume because the default bindings has a binding in the FullScreenVideo section that I didn't know about and also had to override.

This will explain why it didn't seem to read the files as it was working all along and didn't have any issues. I knew my XML was correct since I only use notepad++, it's super basic xml, and I'm a developer and have worked with xml quite a bit. I just needed to do some more overriding than I thought. Next weekend I plan to redo one of the little media PCs with a clean install with a proper HDD instead of the flashcard crap and will do the manual xml way instead of the addon and report back.

With that said, one wouldn't think that Forward and Rewind would need to have a bind in any other section than Global as the default, but I'm still new to kodi and so there may be a reason I just don't see or understand.

EDIT: Do I need to override it in the other sections as well? Right now the volume will change in the menu and in full screen mode which I think is all that is needed?

EDIT 2: I know these overrides don't really make sense, but this was just for testing purposes so I know it works and I can then do the overrides I need for the OSMC remotes after.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi not reading custom keymaps??0