SD stream issues with Aspect Ratio and FPS
Problem:
when watching SD TV live or recorded and the show switches to commercials there is vertical banding and/or unusual video wrapping. I can tell FPS drops significantly also. This continues back into the original program. At this point the show is unwatchable and if allowed to continue the system locks and I have to power cycle the RPi/PC.
I believe this has something to do with the aspect ratio in standard def TV and how its switching during commercials. This wasn't an issue 2 years ago when I had basic cable. I switch to OTA for a while now I have free basic cable again and I can't watch any of it due to this issue.
HD TV and all movies works with out issue on all systems.

I will fetch logs if needed for any of the given systems below.

I have detailed out what happens on a cross section of my systems.

What I Have:
System 1:
RPi3 OSMC
Kodi 16
Issue exists locks up RPi After severe vertical banding/wrapping

System 2:
RPi2 Openelec
Kodi 15
Issue exists locks up RPi

System 3:
HP laptop i7, 16G ram Fedora 24
Kodi 16
Issue exists severe FPS drop video strobes really bad CPU usage jumps but is able to recover and goes back to normal in the original program.

System 4:
HP workstation i5 12G RAM Windows 7 pro.
Kodi 16 no playback issues
NextPVR headend No playback issues
hauppauge dual tuner x2

Android:
NextPVR stream no issues.

iPad:
NextPVR stream no issues.
Do you have Kodi configured to change the display refresh rate? If so, turning that setting off should resolve the issue.
I'm running RPis with that setting off and have not experienced the problem you described. However I did turn it on on one system to see what would happen and the changing display rates was very annoying so I turned it off again.

Sent from my GT-P3113
For the Pi issues can you try with a Krypton (or Milhouse LibreElec) build? A lot has changed there.
Any difference with omxplayer enabled/disabled?
If still an issue on a Krypton build, then a debug log (wiki) would be useful.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SD stream issues with Aspect Ratio and FPS0