• 227(current)
v18 LibreELEC Testbuilds for x86_64 (Kodi 18.0)
Hello Millhous,

I hope this is the right thread to ask.

In #0425 ffmpeg bumped to 4.0. Is there any chance that HEVC hardware acceleration will be supported in 10bit on Nvidia gpu's? Ffmpeg 4.0 does support that.

I hope you (or any other developer) can answer my question.

Thanks in advance!
(2018-05-14, 20:26)SuperSheep81 Wrote: Hello Millhous,

In #0425 ffmpeg bumped to 4.0. Is there any chance that HEVC hardware acceleration will be supported in 10bit on Nvidia gpu's? Ffmpeg 4.0 does support that.

Thanks in advance!
 No. VDPAU was abondonned by nvidia, for now nvidia has no plans to support 10 bit. CUVID is just another PITA - only supporting new nvidia cards. I see no solution for nvidia.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hello,

I am using 0513, but the problem exists with all LE9 Builds.
The sound has sometimes hiccups, every few minutes the sound ist missing for a second. In Log you find this: CDVDClock::ErrorAdjust - CVideoPlayerAudio::OutputPacket - error
The actual example is with amazon/Netflix Watching.

My System is connected with HDMI to my Samstung TV and from there with SPDIF to a Stereo Amp.
Using a fireTV Stick over the same HDMI there is no problem.

My Settings are: Player Video
sync refreshrate: always
sync to TV: no

System Screen
Whiteliste  1920x1080 60 Hz, 50 HZ, 29,97Hz, 24Hz and 23,98Hz
Kodi default refreshrate is 60HZ

System Audio
2 channels
Audio config: best match
audio quality: high

I cant upload my log with cat kodi.log | pastebinit
Is this broken?
I Have not found a website where I can upload big pastes, therefore its a text file on my amazon share:
https://www.amazon.de/clouddrive/share/e...OhxW8rfY25

thanks
Backend: Asrock N3150 with Ubuntu 22.04 Server with TvHeadend 
Living Room: Nvidia Shield with Kodi
Other Kodi Clients: Coreelec, Mibox, Windows
(2018-05-14, 20:53)fritsch Wrote:

Thanks in advance!
 No. VDPAU was abondonned by nvidia, for now nvidia has no plans to support 10 bit. CUVID is just another PITA - only supporting new nvidia cards. I see no solution for nvidia. 
 VDPAU is abandonned. Nvidia developers say the Nvidia Video SDK supports 10 bit. And is already in FFMPEG 4.0. I don't know if it is impossible to bump VDPAU tp the Video SDK. Eventually lots of people will buy a new GPU in time. Nvidia is one of the 3 big players in GPU world. Maybe someone can take a look at it. (I'am no developer)
(2018-05-09, 04:29)billbillw Wrote:
(2018-05-08, 00:22)billbillw Wrote: I posted in the hardware forum, but still haven't gotten an answer. 

I am now trying to run LibreELEC on a NUC7i3. I keep reading conflicting info on whether or not DD+/DTS-HD/TrueHD passthrough will work with this NUC (with LibreELEC). Some reports of success, some of failure. I updated the BIOS to the latest. I don't have any HDMI 2.0, so I don't think I can update the firmware for HDMI. (EDIT: I did update to 1.66)

I started with a Milhouse build (not sure which, but one from April). Everything was working, but still having this issue with not being able to pass through DD+, True HD or DTS-HD MA. 
I tried updating to the 0505 release yesterday, but it did not help. I am not using "sync display", but I do use "switch refresh rate". I tested with/without refresh rate change and it doesn't seem to make a difference (like it did with my AMD experiment a few weeks ago). 

Is this something that still broken on the NUC, or is there a work around? Or am I totally doing something wrong?

I have an older, non-4K, non-HDMI 2.0 Yamaha receiver (RX-A3010). It worked fine with LibreELEC and my older hardware.

I am pretty sure that it is working with Windows, but I'd rather just stick with LibreELEC if possible. 

If a debug log will help, I can try to upload one soon.

EDIT: I am going to try the HDMI firmware update and see if it will take (without having any HDMI 2.0 gear). I assumed that the firmware wouldn't affect my non HDMI 2.0 setup, but apparently it is possible that is the issue.
So, I was able to successfully update the HDMI firmware to version 1.66. However, I am still unable to passthrough DTS-HD Master and TrueHD using LibreELEC, Milhouse 0505.
I was able to passthrough DD+, which seems to be an improvement....  
 So, another update. I installed Windows 10 and one of the Kodi 18 'Snapshots' from April. It works perfectly with my 1080p rips at both 24p and 60p passing DTS-HD Master and TrueHD/ATMOS.

So, the Kaby Lake NUC is capable of doing it. Is this still a kernel limitation with LibreELEC? I haven't really gotten any answers. Just some people saying 'yeah, I had that problem too'. 

As mentioned before, I'd really prefer to use LibreELEC. The Windows version just seems clunky and things like updates add headaches.

Any Ideas?
@fritsch @Milhouse
(2018-05-14, 23:18)SuperSheep81 Wrote:
(2018-05-14, 20:53)fritsch Wrote:

Thanks in advance!
 VDPAU is abandonned. Nvidia developers say the Nvidia Video SDK supports 10 bit. And is already in FFMPEG 4.0. I don't know if it is impossible to bump VDPAU tp the Video SDK. Eventually lots of people will buy a new GPU in time. Nvidia is one of the 3 big players in GPU world. Maybe someone can take a look at it. (I'am no developer) 
 That way you would loose support for all "older" nvidia gpus. To support both yet another hw decoder in kodi needs to be implemented, just cause nvidia does not want to support common APIs, even not those that they designed themselves (vdpau ...). For a kodi htpc nvidia gpus are totally useless.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-05-15, 07:36)fritsch Wrote:
(2018-05-14, 23:18)SuperSheep81 Wrote:
(2018-05-14, 20:53)fritsch Wrote:  No. VDPAU was abondonned by nvidia, for now nvidia has no plans to support 10 bit. CUVID is just another PITA - only supporting new nvidia cards. I see no solution for nvidia.  
 That way you would loose support for all "older" nvidia gpus. To support both yet another hw decoder in kodi needs to be implemented, just cause nvidia does not want to support common APIs, even not those that they designed themselves (vdpau ...). For a kodi htpc nvidia gpus are totally useless. 
The support in the Video SDK goes back to the Geforce 600 series (Kepler). Older than that is due for replacement. I bought a 1030GT in januari because on this forum it was recommended. Link And now you say my card is useless because you think Nvidia developers change heart. I have been with Kodi since Eden. At first in Openelec, And now Libreelec. And now I have to search for an other mediaplayer. It's a shame! Sure implement Gaming into Kodi. With no support for faster GPU's. I always loved the Kodi community. Now I have the feeling being abandonned also.
(2018-05-15, 11:15)SuperSheep81 Wrote:
(2018-05-15, 07:36)fritsch Wrote:
(2018-05-14, 23:18)SuperSheep81 Wrote:  VDPAU is abandonned. Nvidia developers say the Nvidia Video SDK supports 10 bit. And is already in FFMPEG 4.0. I don't know if it is impossible to bump VDPAU tp the Video SDK. Eventually lots of people will buy a new GPU in time. Nvidia is one of the 3 big players in GPU world. Maybe someone can take a look at it. (I'am no developer)  
The support in the Video SDK goes back to the Geforce 600 series (Kepler). Older than that is due for replacement. I bought a 1030GT in januari because on this forum it was recommended. Link And now you say my card is useless because you think Nvidia developers change heart. I have been with Kodi since Eden. At first in Openelec, And now Libreelec. And now I have to search for an other mediaplayer. It's a shame! Sure implement Gaming into Kodi. With no support for faster GPU's. I always loved the Kodi community. Now I have the feeling being abandonned also. 
 You bought a recommendation from the Windows-Forum! 

If you love consists of: I like them as long as they implement the features I want - then this love is a bit one sided. Heck - what do you expect with three Linux-Developers left for a project used by 10 Million people?
(2018-05-15, 11:58)fritsch Wrote:
(2018-05-15, 11:15)SuperSheep81 Wrote:
(2018-05-15, 07:36)fritsch Wrote:  That way you would loose support for all "older" nvidia gpus. To support both yet another hw decoder in kodi needs to be implemented, just cause nvidia does not want to support common APIs, even not those that they designed themselves (vdpau ...). For a kodi htpc nvidia gpus are totally useless.  
 You bought a recommendation from the Windows-Forum! 

If you love consists of: I like them as long as they implement the features I want - then this love is a bit one sided. Heck - what do you expect with three Linux-Developers left for a project used by 10 Million people?   
Don't get me wrong. I do have great respect for the developers of Kodi, and especially the Linux branch. You do great work. And I love watching my movies almost every day on Kodi. and I realise how much effort you put into making Kodi the best mediaplayer in the world. The fact this is my 4th post on this forum says I'm a happy user. I only think I'm not the only one who have a Nvidia GPU who has this problem.

Anyway, I think It's too early to bump VPDAU for the new decoder. Maybe in a year or so. I'll watch my 4k BR-discs on the blue ray player in the meanwhile. Is there any way I can request this as a new feature in a future version op libreelec?

Thank you
(2018-05-15, 12:56)SuperSheep81 Wrote: Don't get me wrong. I do have great respect for the developers of Kodi, and especially the Linux branch. You do great work. And I love watching my movies almost every day on Kodi. and I realise how much effort you put into making Kodi the best mediaplayer in the world. I only think I'm not the only one who have a Nvidia GPU who has this problem.

Anyway, I think It's too early to bump VPDAU for the new decoder. Maybe in a year or so. I'll watch my 4k BR-discs on the blue ray player in the meanwhile. Is there any way I can request this as a new feature in a future version op libreelec?

Thank you
 You are welcome - also no offense intended. Btw. if someone reads this: Why does the card work on windows? The answer is simple: Nvidia implemented DXVA, the standard Windows hardware acceleration and rendering framework. Under the hood this uses most likely cuvid / nvidia sdk whatever. Kodi on windows supports exactly one decoding standard, which is DXVA.

On Linux, it's different: There is OMX, OMX(PI), AMCodec, VAAPI, VDPAU, XVBA, Rockchibberish, etc. in recent years AMD implement first VDPAU to be compatible with the masses. Intel ever went with VAAPI. Then Nvidia dropped support for VDPAU, AMD continued supporting it and even implemented HEVC-10 bit in MESA, theoretically usable in VDPAU. but only theoretical as of limitations of nvidia's implementation.

As VDPAU was deadend some people out of AMD environment worked with intel on VAAPI 2.0 with the result that with upcoming kodi v18 - AMD gpus and intel gpus will use VAAPI including support for VP9 Profile2 and HEVC-10 bit ... now nvidia came up and could have done it right and provide native VAAPI support, but no - yet another nvidia specific CUDA based decoding framework without even proper possibilities to "zero copy share" decoded surfaces with render pipeline.

That's the very sad story with them. Yes, great GPUs ... but only proprietary support. No native wayland support ... *to be continued*.
(2018-05-15, 13:04)fritsch Wrote:
(2018-05-15, 12:56)SuperSheep81 Wrote: Don't get me wrong. I do have great respect for the developers of Kodi, and especially the Linux branch. You do great work. And I love watching my movies almost every day on Kodi. and I realise how much effort you put into making Kodi the best mediaplayer in the world. I only think I'm not the only one who have a Nvidia GPU who has this problem.

Thank you
 You are welcome - also no offense intended. Btw. if someone reads this: Why does the card work on windows? The answer is simple: Nvidia implemented DXVA, the standard Windows hardware acceleration and rendering framework. Under the hood this uses most likely cuvid / nvidia sdk whatever. Kodi on windows supports exactly one decoding standard, which is DXVA.

On Linux, it's different: There is OMX, OMX(PI), AMCodec, VAAPI, VDPAU, XVBA, Rockchibberish, etc. in recent years AMD implement first VDPAU to be compatible with the masses. Intel ever went with VAAPI. Then Nvidia dropped support for VDPAU, AMD continued supporting it and even implemented HEVC-10 bit in MESA, theoretically usable in VDPAU. but only theoretical as of limitations of nvidia's implementation.

As VDPAU was deadend some people out of AMD environment worked with intel on VAAPI 2.0 with the result that with upcoming kodi v18 - AMD gpus and intel gpus will use VAAPI including support for VP9 Profile2 and HEVC-10 bit ... now nvidia came up and could have done it right and provide native VAAPI support, but no - yet another nvidia specific CUDA based decoding framework without even proper possibilities to "zero copy share" decoded surfaces with render pipeline.

That's the very sad story with them. Yes, great GPUs ... but only proprietary support. No native wayland support ... *to be continued*. 
Thank you for the explanation. We'll wait (and annoy Nvidia for a while)
New LibreELEC.tv Leia build #0515: Generic
(Supercedes previous build)

SHA256 Checksum: 558693268addfb9ff53eda2c38e733874eb6b92fd68ab70354329655b534a8e3 (Generic)

text:
# uname -a
Linux NUC 4.14.39 #1 SMP Tue May 15 21:07:35 BST 2018 x86_64 GNU/Linux

# lsb_release
LibreELEC (Milhouse): devel-20180515210351-#0515-gc0da3f5 [Build #0515]

# Kodi version
(18.0-ALPHA2 Git:ce5cecc). Platform: Linux x86 64-bit

Based on tip of LibreELEC.tv master (c0da3f5, changelog) and tip of XBMC master (81e7176, changelog) with the following modifications: Build Highlights:
  1. More Busy Dialog/threading fixes - please report any freezes (with a forced crashlog if possible)
  2. Fix add-on search
Build Details:
  1. LibreELEC.tv:
    • oscam: add missing openssl dependency (PR:2699, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • pngquant: update to 2.11.7 (PR:2701, 1 commit, 2 files changed)
    • update system-tools add-on (PR:2667, 13 commits, 17 files changed)
    • strace: fix url (PR:2702, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
  2. XBMC:
    • [Music]Artist art in file view and on playback from fileview (PR:13871, 1 commit, 2 files changed)
    • [fix][ios] UIFileSharingEnabled requires boolean type (PR:13889, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • [darwin] inform about not implemented ExecWait (PR:13890, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • fix getting user input for directory search (PR:13886, 1 commit, 4 files changed)
    • GUIMediaWindow: prevent vecItems from being updated by more than a si (PR:13891, 1 commit, 2 files changed)
    • Various guilib optimizations and include cleanup (PR:13888, 9 commits, 47 files changed)
    • [win10] migration from C++/CX to C++/WinRT (PR:13864, 5 commits, 50 files changed)
    • CVirtualDirectory: only keep implementation dir if requested (PR:13893, 1 commit, 5 files changed)
    • VideoPlayer/RendererVAAPIGL*: initialize output parameters (PR:13885, 1 commit, 2 files changed)
    • [Android] remove try / catch around main thread (PR:13894, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • Fixed: IsType check now uses m_strDynPath (PR:13895, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • [lang][kodi.core] automatic syntax corrections for the en_GB language file (ba58c31)
    • [lang][skin.estuary] updated language files from Transifex (13b3aef)
    • [lang][skin.estouchy] updated language files from Transifex (ae90fd7)
  3. inputstream.adaptive:
    • [Android] Store / reuse service certificate for 24h (c2e1666)
  4. pvr.argustv:
    • [lang] updated language files from Transifex (0ed7cae)
  5. pvr.demo:
    • [lang] updated language files from Transifex (20d81d8)
  6. pvr.dvblink:
    • [lang] automatic syntax corrections for the en_GB language file (8ea9775)
    • [lang] updated language files from Transifex (19c178e)
  7. pvr.dvbviewer:
    • [lang] automatic syntax corrections for the en_GB language file (cf18eed)
    • [lang] updated language files from Transifex (0ae6207)
  8. pvr.filmon:
    • [lang] updated language files from Transifex (470ca1c)
  9. pvr.hdhomerun:
    • [lang] updated language files from Transifex (4639740)
  10. pvr.hts:
    • [lang] updated language files from Transifex (6455047)
  11. pvr.iptvsimple:
    • [lang] updated language files from Transifex (c8356fc)
  12. pvr.mediaportal.tvserver:
    • [lang] updated language files from Transifex (6fab703)
  13. pvr.nextpvr:
    • [lang] updated language files from Transifex (5f8c614)
  14. pvr.njoy:
    • [lang] updated language files from Transifex (5a2c2d3)
  15. pvr.pctv:
    • [lang] updated language files from Transifex (f0c28e2)
  16. pvr.stalker:
    • [lang] updated language files from Transifex (a7f3e1c)
  17. pvr.vbox:
    • [lang] updated language files from Transifex (48ffcba)
  18. pvr.vdr.vnsi:
    • Various Close()/delete cleanups (PR:15, 4 commits, 3 files changed)
  19. pvr.vuplus:
    • [lang] updated language files from Transifex (aca7960)
  20. pvr.wmc:
    • [lang] updated language files from Transifex (b62f80e)
  21. pvr.zattoo:
    • Do not drop recording state if recordings are not yet loaded (94cc7dd)
  22. Additional commits/pull requests/changes not yet merged upstream:
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Just found that video whitelist doesn't work correct with Nvidia legacy drivers (it doesn't switch to several fps-es). The same config works oke with the standard drivers on the system.
I use them on one system to make the sleep mode not to crash the system.
Should I live with it cause it's "to old" (I can understand) or do you devs like some logs from the system?

Thanks.
(2018-05-15, 23:29)rudrood Wrote: Just found that video whitelist doesn't work correct with Nvidia legacy drivers (it doesn't switch to several fps-es). The same config works oke with the standard drivers on the system.
I use them on one system to make the sleep mode not to crash the system.
Should I live with it cause it's "to old" (I can understand) or do you devs like some logs from the system?

Thanks.

#0515 is working for me with my ION2 and legacy driver.

Do you have "Adjust display to refresh rate" enabled (ie. "Always", possibly also "Start/Stop"), as this option is still required for the time being along with your Whitelist resolutions.

Can you provide a debug log which shows the failure of the whitelist to select a refresh rate?
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I just made some test and found that the 23.976 is the only one that doesn't switch the tv oke with build 0515.
I played the files with variable fps that Milhouse posted some time ago.

Output of xrandr -q
   1920x1080     60.00*+  59.94    50.00    29.97    25.00    23.97    60.05    60.00    50.04
   1680x1050     ….etc

Results legacy driver:
23.976 - tv stays on default fps (60)
24 - tv stays on default fps (60)
25 - tv switches to 25
29.97 - tv switches to 30
30 - tv switches to 60i
50 - tv switches to 50
59.94 - tv stays on default fps (60)
60 - tv stays on default fps (60)

log: http://ix.io/17OG

Results default driver: