v17 Subtitles displayed poorly
Hi, I hope this is the correct place to put this topic, and I couldn't find any other mentions of this through a couple of searches.

I tried the beta 5 earlier this week - and beta 6 this morning as I saw the release notes mentioning subtitle improvements.
It seems subtitles is rendered a lot worse in Kodi 17 than they where in Kodi 16. While Kodi 16 didn't display a lot of subtitles as good as MPC-HC would, it was at least passable most of the time. In Kodi 17 it's very bad.

Some images:
First two from Kodi 16.1

The next two are from Kodi 17

And a final image of the karaoke effect in MPC:

I know anime sub styling is probably a mundane issue no one cares about, but it's a bit annoying to me anyway and having it improved would make me happy. The file in question can be downloaded here.
Your box is most likely AML or Android. Those codecs do not handle sync with subtitles properly. Other platforms work fine.
I'm on Windows 10 x64. Tested several computers. Both at home and at work.
Please elaborate on the issue. It is not clear to me what goes wrong from your first post.
Do you mean the font? That is a Windows only issue introduced with upgrade of libass. The responsible developer is aware of the issue.
Yeah, I meant the font. It's not using the proper embedded fonts. Glad to hear the developer is aware of the issue.
here is the ticket for tracking the issue: http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/17057
Sorry for bumping this topic, but is there any estimate for a fix? Seeing as nothing has changed from beta 6 through RC4, I assume it won't be fixed for release? Will the problem stay until Kodi 17.1 or 18?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Subtitles displayed poorly0