HD Audio Decoding in Kodi
Hello,

Is Kodi (16 or 17) able to decode Dolby truehd and DTS HD-MA and output as LPCM ?

I'm asking this as my Harman AVR only shows "Multi channel input" with no information if signal decoded from the loosless HD audio stream or the core lousy DD or DTS stream.

I have issues with my Harman in HD audio passthrough on qnap (garbled sound) and i'm looking to decoding it internally in Kodi.

Also do i need to select 7.1 to get HD audio decoding or i can select 5.1 to match my speakers ?

Thanks.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/System_v16#Audio_output
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Thanks for the link. My issue is that i can't know if the multi channel LPCM signal sent to my AVR is decoded from (DD trueHD or DTS-HD) or (core DD or DTS) as my AVR displays only multi channel input on all cases.

I noticed also in audio options there is option "support 8 channel DTS-HD audio decoding" and no option for DD TrueHD decoding, does this mean Kodi can only decode DTS-HD but no DD TrueHD ?

Thanks
We decode: Dolby Digital, Dolby-TrueHD, Dolby DTS, DTS-HD - We currently don't decode 7.1 EAC3.

The DTS-HD option is gone with v17, cause it confused users. It was there cause of possible performance issue on certain platforms. Also it made sense when users output 2 channel stereo - no need to decode 7.1 if 5.1 is sufficient.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks Fritsch for the clear answer. I have 3 more questions to get the audio part in my setup :

1- How i can know that Kodi is decoding the HD version and not falling back to the core DD or DTS version. I have no way to tell this from AVR side as it just display "multi-channel input" without even showing number of decoded channels.
2- Nubmer of channels should match my 5.1 setup or 7.1 as i read on some forums to allow HD audio decoding
3- output configuration should be optimized or best match for 5.1 setup and internal decoding in Kodi

Thanks for your support
(2016-12-02, 12:45)ramiawad Wrote: 1- How i can know that Kodi is decoding the HD version and not falling back to the core DD or DTS version. I have no way to tell this from AVR side as it just display "multi-channel input" without even showing number of decoded channels.
2- Nubmer of channels should match my 5.1 setup or 7.1 as i read on some forums to allow HD audio decoding
3- output configuration should be optimized or best match for 5.1 setup and internal decoding in Kodi

1. If the source audio is HD Kodi will decode HD.
2. As written in the Kodi wiki : "This is the number of PCM channels that the audio connection supports and not the number of speakers connected". So if your AVR supports 7.1 then set that.
3. I would say Best Match but it shouldn't hurt to set Optimized.
Beebox N3150 - LibreELEC 7.90.009 | Synology DS212+ NAS 6TB
Panasonic DMP-BD65 bluray | Yamaha RX-A3030 AVR - Kef KHT3005SE 5.1 speakers | Optoma HD87 projector - Exclusiv-Home 2.8m 16:9 screen
As you ask those questions I assume you don't hear it, right? :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
how do i delete this post?
(2016-12-02, 10:36)fritsch Wrote: We decode: Dolby Digital, Dolby-TrueHD, Dolby DTS, DTS-HD - We currently don't decode 7.1 EAC3.

The DTS-HD option is gone with v17, cause it confused users. It was there cause of possible performance issue on certain platforms. Also it made sense when users output 2 channel stereo - no need to decode 7.1 if 5.1 is sufficient.
 hi. i am new to kodi. i am using a yamaha avr 681 which decodes atmos and dtsx. using a mi box s connected to the avr via hdmi. when i play a dts-hd movie. the receiver shows dolby digital. i have enabled pass through. i dont see any dts hd option in KODI. can anyone help plz. KODI 17.6 krypton
post your Debug Log, please

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HD Audio Decoding in Kodi0