Usability: Channel focus in PVR Windows
Wink 
Hi folks,

just some inquiry concering channel focus in PVR Windows. My wife quite often cries "WTF" when working with PVR windows that focus on some odd channel... so this seems to be a WAF thing.

From a noob user perspective the focus handling is at least unexpected

It seems to memorize the location when you scroll. It is reset to the current channel, when being changed. At least, this is what I observe (using Milhouse build 1102 currently). After startup it seems to be always the lowest channel (although another channel may be already playing due to autoplay last channel).

I personally would prefer to ALWAYS have the focus on a currently playing channel when opening such a window. This is how all PVR boxes I know handle this. If really some memory is demanded (can't image a realistic use case however) , then a timeout should apply.... say after a minute playing a channel in fullscreen, then this channel should be focuses on next window open.

All channel related windows seems to be affected.

Channels
Guide
OSD Guide
OSD Channels

Thanks for listening. ;-)

Diddle.

---
edit: fixed some typos
Question 
Anyone?
Tried to open something on TRAC, however... I learned that that's only for bugs. ;-)
http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/17176

Cheers,
Diddle.
@xhaggi fixed this longtime ago http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1827535
broken again ?

started here http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1795411
Good point, Jönke.
Actually https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5401 seems to be the related change.

However, exactly the "remeber last explicitely selected position" is what produces the IMHO unexpected results. This should at least time out and revert to the currently plaving chanel.

Otherwise you are simply irritated when you return e.g. to the EPG after some time, maybe hours later. You simply don't remeber why the EPG is on the position you are seeing. Maybe even another family member was looking there.. ;-)

Very annoying. We often use e.g. the OSD Channels for zapping... then we need to search the currently plaing channel first.

Cheers,
Diddle.
Yes a timeout after 5-10 minutes would be nice, after that epg focus should always be current running show
Personally, I do not understand what this "remember last selected channel, even across different windows/dialogs" feature is good for. Is there actually a use car where this makes sense?

I once was told that the killer use case for this feature is the following: while watching tv you get bored, bring up the epg window and start looking through the other channels for something more interesting to watch, all this while tv plays in the background. Now, "something interesting" happens in the playing tv show, thus you bring it back to front, watch for a while, get bored again, bring back up the guide window .... And now it is the killer feature that the guide window still knows where you have been before in that window.

My question is, while this can be nice for some people, is this really a senseful default behavior? Even worse, if it cannot be switched off?

What do people think?

Imo it is not a good idea to introduce the proposed timeout, as nobody will really understand this feature and there will be no one good value, thus we would end up with a setting, which makes things even more complicated... Is the one "killer use" mentioned above worth all this?

Are there other "killer use cases"?
(2017-03-03, 09:35)ksooo Wrote: Imo it is not a good idea to introduce the proposed timeout,

Fully agree... this was only meant as some compromise... personally I would dump the complete feature. Nobody I know understands it... WAF is zero.

Thanks for listening. Smile

Diddle.
(2016-12-30, 19:31)Jönke Wrote: Yes a timeout after 5-10 minutes would be nice, after that epg focus should always be current running show

Me request for @xhaggi along time ago but above makes sense
(2017-03-03, 23:59)Jönke Wrote:
(2016-12-30, 19:31)Jönke Wrote: Yes a timeout after 5-10 minutes would be nice, after that epg focus should always be current running show

Me request for @xhaggi along time ago but above makes sense

If you mean with "above" the timeout, I disagree, for the reasons I gave in my previous post. This would make things even worse, because nobody will ever understand why sometimes the last channel gets remembered and sometimes not. I will never implement this and a will give my -1 for every PR trying to introduce this, sorry.

Give me some really cool use cases or there are good chances that I will remove this feature that most people seem not to like/understand.
+1 for always beginning at the active channel. Agree that timeout is not that good behaviour.
My opinion is that a guide should always highlight the playing channel, i'm not overly fussed about the guide remembering the last "channel position" when browsing and can understand why it could cause confusion, (but i guess it is something that is not of great importance to me so can take it or leave it).

I don't agree with the "timeout" idea - this would makes it feel like the guide is acting randomly
This was how i requested it back then http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1796140 . But dont know if it works the same now ?
(2017-03-04, 21:53)Jönke Wrote: This was how i requested it back then http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1796140 . But dont know if it works the same now ?

For me, it makes sense how you requested it and I don't know whether it ever was implemented this way, but today it does not work like you wanted it.

EDIT: reading a second time what you wrote back then, it actually seems to work like you wanted it. However, I think this is a confusing behavior with little real value. I still opt for removing this feature.
I think it behaves different now, i thought it was only supposed to work in timeline epg and always be reset after channel change.
It doesn't work like that now, but is there any benefit to remember last position if channel hasn't changed like Jönkes original request? I think always show current playing channel is how most PVRs work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Usability: Channel focus in PVR Windows0