Solved SMB: Operation not permitted
Hi,

for some reason I cannot connect to SMB shares I have from a windows server 2016, I can access these shares fine from any other PC and kodi can access smb shares on my windows 7 host but even though I entered username and password for the share, event log on the server shows that kodi still tries logging in with a null user id.
enabling guest account (which is not enabled on the windows 7 host where it does work) does not work either...
any clue why this could be happening and how to fix it?
win10 and probably server 2016 disable SMBv1 by default, which is what kodi uses with it's built-in samba client.
You can re enable that on the server, but I'd suggest using samba mounts on the OS side instead of kodi's smb support.
I went with your suggested option, used autofs for this.
Thanks a lot! ^^

EDIT: I guess obvious but I didn't mention that this was the solution and it now works!
I'm having this exact same problem. Specifically, how do I re-enable the SMBv1 ? What do I do? (I don't know how to use samba mounts)
I have Windows Server 2012 R2 on a Dell server. I can see the server on the workgroup, but when I click on it, I get the "Operation Not Permitted" error.

thanks!
KODI 16.1 on Odroid C2, Android OS, Roku Clients w/ Plex, Dell R710 Rack Server w/ 40TB storage
(2017-01-04, 07:46)Shane1 Wrote: I'm having this exact same problem. Specifically, how do I re-enable the SMBv1 ? What do I do? (I don't know how to use samba mounts)
I have Windows Server 2012 R2 on a Dell server. I can see the server on the workgroup, but when I click on it, I get the "Operation Not Permitted" error.

thanks!

http://bfy.tw/9GrU
I have SMB 1.0 re enabled on my HTPC, but all Android devices get "Operation not permitted" if I try to connect to the share. If I do the exact same thing from a Windows machine, all is fine.
Not sure if this is the same issue, but I was able to fix it by creating a new account on my Windows PC, but this time no Microsoft account, just a local account. Provided that account administrator rights and voila... everything was up and running. Got the error for a few more times and then it was good.
Is it possible for Kodi to handle SMB versions 2 or 3 without OS support? Or is that something that needs to be in place by the OS (Openelec, Libreelec, Coreelec, etc)?
It would be unfortunate if Kodi can only handle SMB v1 in 2019
As there's no libsmb for Kodi core, SMB supports depends on the underlying OS.
In coreelec my workaround is to use /storage/.config/system.d/cifs.mount.sample
(2019-02-14, 18:36)Plantje Wrote: Not sure if this is the same issue, but I was able to fix it by creating a new account on my Windows PC, but this time no Microsoft account, just a local account. Provided that account administrator rights and voila... everything was up and running. Got the error for a few more times and then it was good.
That feels more like an insecure workaround than a fix - privilege escalation shouldn't be required for such a simple task, so it suggests there's some permissions issue that needs correcting somewhere along the way.

Anyhow... you got the desired outcome!
True, that is not secure. And thanks for the reminder. I will throw the user out as I have moved the Mi Box from living room to the bedroom. In the bedroom I only need access to Netflix and my PVR on Kodi. In the living room I'm back at (and will stick with) Windows. Too much hassle with Android
FWIW... I created a read-only user to my media store then used various commands to connect and browse as that user from another platform, checking logfiles until I got it working - then added those credentials into Kodi.

(where ARE logfiles in Windows - does the Event Viewer show this information?)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB: Operation not permitted0