Custom tagging & library navigation - how can browsing be improved?
Afaik, in movies it's possible to click on an actor from movie information dialog and see what movies I have with this same actor. So I don't know, for the sake of consistency, why it shouldn't be possible to have the same for composer, guitarist or any other information available.

Quote:I don't understand how you can have a directory structure that allows you to drill down by year, genre, rating, publisher, colour of hair, or whatever other thing you want. That was why I thought we had a library in the first place.
I'm not able to, neither with my sorting on file level, nor with kodis DB. That's why I'm suggesting...

I have a dream...

Starting kodi first time ever, I add music. Music is scanned to library and because the path is added to the DB (if the path is /music/artist/... it's nothing else as a csv with dash as separator). After scanning, the user is presented his music in "file level" view put together from DB. This has a huge recognition value and the user experience is: a, wow, my music as I know it.
From there he's able to experience the advantages of a DB, as he's able to use cross references (list other songs composed by, played guitar on, etc.). A few predefined DB views, like there are already, gets him (or her) deeper in the advantages of a DB.
I do not think of a prescribed number of views (as they will be never enough, as the user always wants what's not prescribed), but the freedom to create views... as many one likes...
Attention, here's coming a vision... think of 'The minority report'...
Choose a criminal within the criminals DB. Put focus on him and "whooosh whoossh", be able to change the context from criminals DB to the "local residents' registration office' DB, zoom out a little from the criminals flat to see his neighbors, pick his next neighbor and "whoosh whooosch" be able to change the surrounding context to the 'traffic department' and see the neighbors car plates, our criminal has stolen...
The "whoosh whooosh" thing is (statically) possible right now with defining SPLs or nodes, but one looses focus on the chosen target.
Only thing we need, is a way to define the 'context'. There could be predefined ones (like folder1>folder2>folder3>folder4>... folderX or artist>album>song or genre>artist>album>songs, similar to the ones we have right now). If one is able to click together those chains, one would be able to choose from self defined contextual views (query chains) with focus still on one item.

How to define query chains within the UI?
Let's do it like with choosing music. Give the user a list of all available tags and let him choose the first link in his new chain. Present a new list with all tags but the one he has chosen for to define the second link... the last link will always be songs/titles. So no matter how long the chain will be, choosing song title tag will always be the end of the chain.
I see no difference, UI-wise, between choosing data (artist>album>song) or choosing tags. Displaying a list of artists is the same as displaying a list of tags to choose from.

After defining the query chain, the user will be able to change the context while keeping focus on a selected item with simply switching from one chain to the other. A song in a context of artist>album>song could then be settled in a new context of whatever the user defines.

That implies, that the audio DB has the path separated as single cells (dash separated value).
Enable cross references like within movies (consistency), where I'm able to go from a movie to an actor to another movie with this actor.
And lastly make chain definition possible and allow the change of contexts on-the-fly

The advantages I see:
A huge recognition value in first use experience, as the user gets his music presented in a replica of his ordering on file level. Go from the known to the unknown.
No loss of information! The sorting on a shelf is work put into the collection. Not loosing this work is keeping the worth of the work put into.
Cross references allow quick movement (from a song in a playlist to the corresponding album, from a playing song to the folder it's in, from an album to other albums of the same producer, etc)
Definition of chains and contextual changes on-the-fly would be like re-sorting the shelf within a flick of the eye

As stated, I have a dream :-)

Messages In This Thread
Visual Browsing feature - by Pazzoppe - 2016-12-15, 11:58
RE: Custom tagging & library navigation - how can browsing be improved? - by Uatschitchun - 2017-01-22, 11:01
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Custom tagging & library navigation - how can browsing be improved?0