[XBOX] Option to automaticly create video-preview thumbnails
i have a large collection of videos and tv spread across smb shares. i will soon be hooking up a second xbox to share the same content. i see that you can create your own thumbs for other media such as music videos and tv episodes by renaming jpg files to xxx.tbn (where xxx is the name of the media file) and placing in same folder.

is there a possibility to automatically create these thumbnails (similar to scan function using imdb lookup) and auto renaming and placing them in the smb shares?

the reason for asking is that after upgrading xbmc versions (and backing up thumbs & album folders) the thumbs seem to disappear. it is much more reliable to keep the thumbs on the remote shares and this would only need to be performed once and if a new xbox is added, the thumbs would appear instantly without having to perform a new scan.

or alternatively store all thumbs+imdb cache on a central remote share that all can access?
Lightbulb 
Could a similar function to this be added to XBMC/BOXEE?
(maybe added to DVDPlayer for the back-end part?)
http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/inde...thumbnails
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=30023

That way users would have the option to create a thumbnail for any video file that does not exist on the online databases such as IMDb.com and TheTVDB.com

...for TheTVDB.com one would maybe even imagine the option to autimaticly upload missing episode thumbnails since it is a wiki, of course that would require registration.

PS! Home-movies is another nitche where video-preview thumbnails would be nice to have XBMC/BOXEE create for you.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
check latest svn for linuxport Smile
Thumbs Up 
Cool! Cool

...so now all that is missing is a way for XBMC/BOXEE end-users to submit missing episode thumbnails to TheTVDB.com directly from XBMC/BOXEE, ...kind of like how users could be able to submit ratings and such, or for thumbnails just make it automatic for known TV-Shows that has been scanned into the XBMC/BOXEE database from TheTVDB.com already(?)

Big Grin
Question 
By the way, how does it work? does it just grab next key-frame after a certain amounts of seconds into each video (60-seconds?)?

Huh

More ideas in this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=29699
DrDDT Wrote:I added an 'if exist' to the batch file so it can run scheduled for automatic run every day.

Does anybody know how to nest the for loop so I can check several root folders in one line?

I now use:

Code:
@echo off

setlocal
set FFMPEG=f:\tools\ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe
set THUMB="%%~di%%~pi%%~ni.tbn"
set MAKETHUMB=%FFMPEG% -i "%%i" -f mjpeg -t 0.001 -ss 5 -y %THUMB%

set FILES="*.avi"
set DIRS=m:\media\series i:\media\series

for /r  m:\media\series %%i in ( %FILES% ) do if not exist %THUMB% %MAKETHUMB%
for /r  i:\media\series %%i in ( %FILES% ) do if not exist %THUMB% %MAKETHUMB%
endlocal

I'd like to merge the two for loops and make use of the DIRS variable.
Any chance of this feature being ported back to the Xbox version (ie. the trunk in the SVN)?
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
it gets a frame 5 minutes into the movie.
i think it already is backported (in fact, i think i was developed in xbmc trunk and then merged into boxee)
5-minutes, is that wise? I thought the standard (if there is a standard) for thumbnails grabbed from a movie was 60-seconds, ...well, I suppose the possible downside to grabbing the frame image that early is the chance of just grabbing a frame from the 'intro' if it is a TV-Show increases as those usually last for 30-seconds and begin 1-3 minutes into a episode, does that sound about right?

Anyway, what about my other two questions;

1. Does is grab a key-frame or just any frame it can get at that time? (the difference is that a key-frame has higher quality, which is why you preferably want to grab a key-frame instead of just any frame).

2. Any opionions on the suggested feature to automaticly upload any missing thumbnails directly from XBMC/BOXEE to TheTVDB.com, ...that would help TheTVDB.com which in turn would indirectly help XBMC/BOXEE, as I assume we all use TheTVDB.com as the default scraper for TV-Shows, ...and so will BOXEE, right? (as that is community driven and something we all can affect, unlike the TV.com site which not open source).
naaa was developed on linux port and ive tried backporting :S to many bug differences between linux/xbox now is not a simple task to backport.

Also i think its a standard frame its grabbing judging by the quality of the thumbs.

#3, not wise in my opinion uploading to thetvdb as 90% of them will probably be rejected... thumbnail of an armpit or the back of someones head.
Wink 
C-Quel Wrote:#3, not wise in my opinion uploading to thetvdb as 90% of them will probably be rejected... thumbnail of an armpit or the back of someones head.
I doubt those kind will be 90% but in any case I think that a bad thumbnail is better than no thumbnail at all, and that should only automaticly upload a thumbnail if no thumbnail exist at all. Later than thumbnail can always be replaced manualy by someone going to the TheTVDB.com website via a web-browser on a computer and replace that thumbnail.
I disagree - bad auto generated thumbs on the site just cause annoyance for everyone. As we can't guarantee the thumb will be any good, we shouldn't upload it. Upload of thumbs should always be the users choice.

Does anyone know if this feature was ever backported to the Xbox (SVN trunk)?

Any volunteer(s)? Huh
Gamester17 Wrote:Does anyone know if this feature was ever backported to the Xbox (SVN trunk)?

Any volunteer(s)? Huh

Done Gamester i have uploaded a patch to SF! but as the Linux one was problematic due to mem leaks and most users switched it off i cannot guarantee my patch will be ok. I did fix a nasty memory leak on xbox that may well have been the cause on Linux but who knows.

See what the guys say...

p.s. I burn toast better than i code C++ so don't expect wonders :p
Thumbs Up 
Great!, ...but in any case; please leave this feature as disabled by default Nod
(at least for now, users should have to enable it under settings in the XBMC GUI)

Thanks
is disabled by default iirc...

i know one issue with it "probably" both platforms that eats memory...

"Stacked Files"

Try to extract thumb on ('foo - CD1.avi, foo - CD2.avi')

then doesnt close properly... everytime it hits a stacked file memory drops rapidly.

Hope that helps.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBOX] Option to automaticly create video-preview thumbnails0