[XBOX] Option to automaticly create video-preview thumbnails
afaik issues with the frame grab (stability, etc.) were fixed in the past week by vulkan. as far as i can tell, it works very well now.

re gs17 question about 1 minutes vs 5 minutes, in 1 minute you can still be in the titles of the movie. 5 mins is probably better, though, its as bad or as good as any other i guess. one way or another you are going to land in someone's armpit or worse given enough content :p
I got a few more questions in regards to this automatic thumbnail generation feature:

What about if a video is only 4-minutes long?, does it then not generate a thumbnail or do we make it fall back to making a screenshot/thumbnail from the 1-minute marker instead?

Is there by the way any fault tolerence built-into the grabber feature?, I mean, if DVDPlayer fails to read/play a video file (or if the DVDPlayer crash when it tries to playback that file) does it then abort the whole auto thumbnail generation process or does it nicly restart/timeout the DVDPlayer and automaticly continue on to the next video in the list?

This feature is now running in it's own process thread, right?, it will not slow down the GUI usage (user experience)?

Then there is still the question about if it grabs a key-frame or not?, please see the previous post about key-frames in this topic thread.

PS! This is a great little feature, I hope it can be made into the best that it can be.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Another note; this auto thumbnail generation feature should never try to scan/grab thumbnails of .strm (internet streams), and probabaly not from plugins either as those are almost all internet-based as well, ...are there any other sources that should not use this feature and be added to an exclude list?

local, SMB, XBMS, XNS, UPnP, and FTP should all be ok to scan though, I think.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
already implemented afaik
Those of you with an Xbox please checkout this patch/idea:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph...tid=581840

Thanks in advance!
Has this feature been ported to the Xbox (SVN trunk) yet?, ...or is it still only available in the linuxport branch?

Huh
It is still available only on the linuxport branch.
That was what i was going to ask too. The windows version supports this but i could not find it in the xbox version. It is really nice when you don't have to tke screenshots yourself, put them in the specific location and rename them.

I would like to ask for this too.
Not for xbox, but it does exist for the Linux version. (I've never used it so I'm not sure if it just creates the local cached thumbs, or puts them on the source with the correct filename.)

And if you back up the entire userdata folder, you should not loose thumbs when you upgrade (unless you are upgrading from a very old version to a very recent version.) The thumb caching system has not changed in quite some time.
Any chance creating episode thumbs on xbox version will be posible?

I found this thread in the linux area:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...sode+thumb
Hi. I am new here. Is that feature now in the latest T3CH release or is it not? I can´t find the switch but a friend of mine have it.
Perle2212 Wrote:Hi. I am new here. Is that feature now in the latest T3CH release or is it not?
Not. See the previous posts before yours in this thread, (nothing has changed).
Some of the TV shows I have do not have thumbnails for the episodes within the TVDB. For example, some BBC DVD collections. Many have great TV Show icons though thanks to DJH.

Some of these BBC series only have 3 or 4 episodes. Using the showcase type navigation views in either Aeon or MediaStream I see a whole series of "No thumbnail" icons which makes navigation pretty confusing. Especially when there are 8 icons on screen with over half of them being duplicated.

Would it be possible to create an episode icon directly from the video file? Perhaps a minute into the video stream like MythTV does for it's thumbnails of recorded TV shows?

Would make navigation much less confusing.
As an option, would it be possible to have XBMC randomly choose a time to take the preview image from (or maybe still use a fixed time for the initial thumbnail), with a option in the context menu to ramdomly generate a different thumbnail if the chosen one is bad. It seems like that would provide a pretty much automatic way to generate thumbs, with a very simple way to correct bad ones.
Did this ever make it's way over to the Windows version?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what exactly this option is supposed to accomplish. I have the option enabled, and when viewing in Files Mode, I see a preview of the video, but when in Library mode it still shows as no thumbnail.

I'm using Beta 2 of XBMC and have the MediaStream skin enabled.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBOX] Option to automaticly create video-preview thumbnails0