• 5(current)
FanArt backdrop support in XBMC's skinning-engine and scrapers (for Music and Videos)
I'd second the poster.jpg idea, since all my folder.jpgs are either "3D tilted" or wide banners, which looks crappy in Aeon. A poster.jpg would allow to exclusively define a portrait image for the movie.

Does the performance issue also apply once the images are cached? If not I'd gladly wait a little longer for the scanning process.
Running XBMC on my HTPC, tablet, phone and pinball machine.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting. Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first.
Quote:Okay...but what if you could just have it associate w/e fanart.jpg is in a directory with that movie in the DB somehow? I know there's already a setting for "directory contains a single movie". Build off of that?

Why? Surely you can still name it <moviename>-fanart.jpg, no matter if it's in a separate folder or not? What is the rational behind dropping the moviename bit off the filename?

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Why? Surely you can still name it <moviename>-fanart.jpg, no matter if it's in a separate folder or not? What is the rational behind dropping the moviename bit off the filename?

Cheers,
Jonathan

All of my movies are .rar'd. I was under the impression that there had to be a physical movie file next to the moviename-fanart.jpg for it to work. Is this incorrect?

I tried naming it w/e the filename was of the movie in the rar file, hoping that the program would put two and two together, but either I did something incorrectly, or it doesn't work.

If not, then my assertion would make it so that when a folder is highlighted, xbmc looks into that folder like it does for a folder.jpg and make that the backdrop.

And the poster.jpg file, well, couldn't you have an option in the display settings or somewhere so that you tell xbmc to either look for a folder.jpg or a poster.jpg? If you isolated what it was looking for, then it should work w/o causing any more mem. usage...
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure how things are handled in that case, and I suspect even if we checked for fanart.jpg in the folder there'd still need to be special-case stuff for rar's.

I don't care about poster.jpg at this point in time - the thumbnail system needs upgrading before that is considered.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

This is a bit of a guess, but its based off how Xbmc considers archives a folder. I think the image would need to be inside the rar, named after whatever is in the rar.
Quote:Thanks for the info. I'm not sure how things are handled in that case, and I suspect even if we checked for fanart.jpg in the folder there'd still need to be special-case stuff for rar's.

I don't care about poster.jpg at this point in time - the thumbnail system needs upgrading before that is considered.

I dunno. The library has the ability to parse the information for movies in a .rar from an nfo file without special case stuff, right? I guess that you'd know better than I would. If the database for the library can store the .rar location and pull the movie from it, then I'd think it should be able to take w/e directory that archive is in and extract the path from it, then add fanart.jpg to the string, right?
It is special-case, as there's at least 2 directory levels involved (the folder, then the rar folder, possibly more within the rar and so on). There's a whole separate routine to get the nfo file appropriately. We need to generalize said routine so that we can use the same logic for fanart et. al.

jmarshall Wrote:It is special-case, as there's at least 2 directory levels involved (the folder, then the rar folder, possibly more within the rar and so on). There's a whole separate routine to get the nfo file appropriately. We need to generalize said routine so that we can use the same logic for fanart et. al.

I'm not sure how the routine works, but instead of re-writing it, why not just make it spit out a global string that records the root directory for w/e rarchive, and then checks that for the fanart.jpg or moviename-fanart.jpg.
Patch welcome.

I'm sorry...what did you mean by your last post? If you mean that I'm welcome to do it, then maybe you could point me to the specific files I need to be looking for in the repository, and I'd be willing to take a look at it. I've never programmed anything for the Xbox before, but it's still programming...

And if I sounded pushy or something before, I apologize. That last punctuation point was supposed to be a "?", not a ".". So, yeah. I'm curious to see how the fanart actually works...
VideoInfoScanner.cpp contains the stuff you need. I believe the fanart is set in the AddMovieAndGetThumb() routine, but a grep for fanart will tell you where exactly. The method I proposed was because I'm not sure whether you have the containing folder available or not during the routines that we're dealing with.

And yeah, it sounded like you were giving a me 'how to code XBMC' advice, thus my crisp reply. It's always hard to tell the intent of someone's post in a purely textual environment, so if I got it wrong, my bad. Global strings sound like a bad idea all around though Wink

Please feel most free to dive in to the code on whichever platform you wish to develop for. More help is always greatly appreciated, and I doubt I'll get to this for quite a while yet.

Cheers,
Jonathan

I'll take a peek at it, see if I can make heads or tails of what's what.

And no, I wasn't trying to "tell you how to code XBMC". It was more of a "Gee, maybe this would work?" kind of statement. Damned text and all. Big Grin
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Appendix_D:_...ment_Notes
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_submit_a_patch

Wink
If I've got a question about the code, who should I direct questions to?
Wow...should have asked that question AFTER reading the links you sent me. Sorry...can you delete the double post?
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
FanArt backdrop support in XBMC's skinning-engine and scrapers (for Music and Videos)0