Game emulator on Kodi/Linux
Hey all,

Im not that new to emulators when using them on Windows and not in Kodi but I would like to set up a couple emulators within Kodi on my Linux Mint htpc. Im still making my way around Linux a bit and I have installed ZSnes from the Ubuntu repos for my first try. I download Rom collection browser but im not sure where the location of the emulator is. Adding roms should be an issue. Where do these emulators get installed in Linux?

If there is a newer or easier way to get retro gaming working on Kodi/Linux please let me know. Im interested in NES, SNES, Genisis, and N64.

Thanks
You should take a look at advanced emulator launcher, RCB is buggy and unmaintened.
And you could use zsnes if you have a pretty weak PC, otherwise I suggest you to use retroarch and bsnes core for a more modern and accurate emulator.
In linux the program are general installed in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin
(2016-12-15, 05:44)mac1202 Wrote: You should take a look at advanced emulator launcher, RCB is buggy and unmaintened.
And you could use zsnes if you have a pretty weak PC, otherwise I suggest you to use retroarch and bsnes core for a more modern and accurate emulator.
Retroarch isn't a distro is it?
(2016-12-15, 05:49)biggyk Wrote:
(2016-12-15, 05:44)mac1202 Wrote: You should take a look at advanced emulator launcher, RCB is buggy and unmaintened.

For emulation on Linux the RetroPie Wiki is like the bible. Keep in mind that many of their configurations use custom locations for files, however 80% of the information there can be used out-of-the-box in any Linux distro. You will need to Google a bit.

Retroarch is a multi-emulator. Retroarch itself is kind of a emulator graphical user interface. Then, you download/install plugins (also called cores) for every machine you want to emulate. Some cores support emulation of various machines as well. Also, do not underestimate MAME as a console emulator. For some consoles, MAME is one (if not the best) emu available.

Retroarch + MAME should cover 95% of the emulation needs for most users.
(2016-12-15, 06:40)Wintermute0110 Wrote:
(2016-12-15, 05:49)biggyk Wrote:

For emulation on Linux the RetroPie Wiki is like the bible. Keep in mind that many of their configurations use custom locations for files, however 80% of the information there can be used out-of-the-box in any Linux distro. You will need to Google a bit.

Retroarch is a multi-emulator. Retroarch itself is kind of a emulator graphical user interface. Then, you download/install plugins (also called cores) for every machine you want to emulate. Some cores support emulation of various machines as well. Also, do not underestimate MAME as a console emulator. For some consoles, MAME is one (if not the best) emu available.

Retroarch + MAME should cover 95% of the emulation needs for most users.
Thank you will look into further.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Game emulator on Kodi/Linux0