v17 [SOLVED] Fire TV going to standby
So I finally took the plunge and updated my Fire TV to Krypton. It is running Kodi 17.0-BETA6 Git:20161130-654f1b7.

The problem I have is that the Fire TV is going into standby mode after 20-30 minutes even though something is playing in Kodi. I have no screensaver active in Kodi and the Fire TV's screensaver is set to 'Never'.

It has now happened with a movie, a TV show and while playing an audio album. This never happened with Jarvis. When I hit a button to re-wake the Fire TV it flickers on and off like it's making the HDMI connection but then resumes playing. The very odd thing is it is unpredictable. I watched a TV episode last night and the Fire TV went to standby after 20 minutes, but when I replayed that episode it went through a full 50 minutes without going into standby.

Because of the unpredictability I don't particularly want to have the debug information on screen waiting for the problem to occur (it's the family machine) so before getting too much into trying to analyse the problem (or more likely reverting to Jarvis), is this a known problem with Fire TV and Krypton or has anyone else experienced similar? I've searched the forum and googled but can't find anything similar.

Thanks
I'm seeing very similar issues on my Fire Stick. Basically about an hour into playing a video, the screen just goes black. I can press a button, and will be taken to the movie list. I can pick up right where it left off from there. I haven't checked my Fire Stick's standby settings yet, so I'll check that later today. It's not a major issue, since it's a kitchen TV and we're usually close by, just more of a nuisance.
Yep, I'm seeing a very similar issue (possibly identical). However this previous releases of Krypton were fine. It either happened due to Beta 6 or the Fire TV update I did recently. I'm guessing it's actually the Fire TV firmware upgrade. Have you two also done this recently?
(2016-12-22, 02:32)slikvik Wrote: I'm guessing it's actually the Fire TV firmware upgrade. Have you two also done this recently?

Sorry for the slow response, Christmas shopping and all that. I haven't consciously updated the Fire TV software, though I'm not sure that it doesn't update itself automatically. It is running Fire OS 5.2.1.1 (551203220).

I did update my Kodi to see if it was just a glitch in my earlier download. I'm now running Kodi 17.0-BETA7 Git:20161219-eed32e7 . I thought this may have fixed things, as ther Fire TV hadn't gone to sleep in the middle of playing something for a while. Then this evening half way through a TV episode it went to sleep. When I restarted it was back to the TV Series list and the option for the episode we'd been watching was to resume playing at 28:52.

I tried to add the advanced setting to allow invisible logging per the wiki but unfortunately the following had no effect, and the family aren't going to put up with the on-screen debug information.

Code:
<loglevel>1</loglevel>

So, I'm not really sure what to try next.
Yeah, that's a slightly older version of Fire TV OS. I wonder what other commonalities we have (apart from v17).

Are you using any add-ons?

It's actually really annoying now (especially if you're watching live TV on a timeshift!) so hope the cause is found. I may turn on logging and take a look. The problem is, it can take a while to manifest.
Yesterday was a bit of a nightmare with constant crashes and black screen videos, so I downgraded to v16. However, I now find that I can't install an add-on, raised it here but no obvious solution. I'm beginning to think that at a quiet time I may factory-reset the Fire TV and re-install from scratch.
Just to finish this up, and in case it helps anyone else, I did a factory reset of my Fire TV and then re-installed Kodi v17 beta 7. Been running for a week now with no unwanted stand-by in the middle of playback. No idea what caused it, but seems to have resolved.
I'll have to give this a try then. Right pain in the arse though!
I've reset everything but ran into another serious issue - I couldn't access any shares on my Windows PC (which includes the TV Backend)!

I had to install 16.1 and then upgrade to 17.
Sorry to hear that silkvik. I was able to access my Synology NAS by SMB and add sources from there with no problems.
Strange I've been seeing this same issue for a bout a week or more , running latest FireOS, and beta 7. However, the FTV2 turns off the screen even when I am not using Kodi specifically. I've turned off all screensavers in both.
Nvidia ShieldTV (2017)+Nexus
@christoofar I believe I've seen that specific complaint on FTV blogs about the latest OS update.

@WelshPaul Can I ask, did you browse to the SMB locations or add a "New Network Location" and specify the name and share path of your NAS?

Our (it's affected someone else) problem is browsing the network for the shares. If we add the share manually in Kodi, that works....doesn't solve my PVR share problem though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[SOLVED] Fire TV going to standby0